Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgeson leaves Liverpool

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about?

He couldnt handle and galvanise the players at Liverpool so he has no chance whatsoever with England and I would not in a million years want him as England manager. The job is too big for him West Ham would suit when they get relegated. Dalgleish will re install some pride in the players and they will be ok for the rest of the season and provided he states now that he is only doing it until the end of the season it will enable a new man to come in and re jig the squad with no malice from the fans.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
35 years and 0 major honours, a good cup run with Fulham in a competition he only qualified for via the fair play league, in the same season they won 1 away game in the league, so yes a very average manager.

How many trophies do you think managers like Alex Ferguson at Man Utd would have won if they had only managed teams such as Fulham all these years?

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Hodgson had a proven record of getting the best from limited resources. To my mind that makes him every bit as good a manager as many of those at the top of the food chain.

Yet he was awful at Liverpool and couldn't get the best out of anyone? As I said I respect the man an no hard feelings but I don't think he was ever up to the job. But wish him much luck in his next job, at the level he should stay at.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Its a shame that he inherited a poor squad with the players like Torres and Gerrard not giving a f***. Lets hope King Kenny saves them or he is going to look pretty stupid. Dont feel sorry for Roy as said above he's taking millions of quid with him. Its part of the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That could make him the right man for the job then!

Wrong man for the job or wrong job for the man, but not both shirley?

You are right but I dont see how shirley got in on the act as she wasnt mentioned for any job. He was the wrong man to put into what was obviously the wrong job for him.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Because of one season outside the top 4? Liverpool needed a man to take them back to where they have been for the vast majority, Roy took them to their worst season in 57 years, if it was Rafa or a foreign manager instead of Roy everyone would of been talking about how poor he is and how he must go. Instead they have to realise the Roy is in fact an average manager and wasn't good enough for the job. No hard feelings to the man but he wasn't correct for the job.

So what difference do you expect Dalglish to make if he wasn't allowed to spend and improve the current squad and if Gerrard and Torres were to continue to have fitness issues between now and the end of the season?

The fact that the ownership issues being sorted will help Dalglish and if he gets money to spend he could start to turn things around, but given what Hodgson had to deal with, i doubt he or many other managers would have done much better.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Its a shame that he inherited a poor squad with the players like Torres and Gerrard not giving a f***. Lets hope King Kenny saves them or he is going to look pretty stupid. Dont feel sorry for Roy as said above he's taking millions of quid with him. Its part of the game.

8 of the player who lost 1-0 to Wolves were in the side that battered Real Madrid 4-0. Obviously it's all relevant but the excuse of a poor squad or not his squad doesn't wash. LFC had the most players at the WC so the squad can't be that poor. Also I don't think he will look stupid, he would be kit man if the club asked him to be.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
So what difference do you expect Dalglish to make if he wasn't allowed to spend and improve the current squad and if Gerrard and Torres were to continue to have fitness issues between now and the end of the season?

The fact that the ownership issues being sorted will help Dalglish and if he gets money to spend he could start to turn things around, but given what Hodgson had to deal with, i doubt he or many other managers would have done much better.

As said before, I think he will get a lot more respect and install pride and passion back into the side. No one expects us to race into the top four and win the FA Cup now Kenny is in charge. Dalglish has an amazing record as a player and manager and I would trust him a lot more with £ then Roy, Konchesky and Poulsen are prime examples.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I think Liverpool have delusions that they are still a major player and they have a right to get the best managers in the world. Not won the Prem before, Man U are looking at beating your record of league titles, not even in the Champions League for crying out loud. Roy had f*** all to work with, at least at Fulham he had some decent players to be getting on and tick things over where Roy could get the best.

N'Gog, yes. He's going to get you in to the Champions League isn't he... Relying on Torres, Gerrard and Reina too much.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tactically Liverpool were/are inept and although the individual players are good enough except those that Hodgeson brought in like Konchelskis they play likea pub team with no organisation or passion. This is where Dagleish will improve things. will possibly bring in Roy Evans on a short contract as coach or what is Terry McDermott doing now..

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I think Liverpool have delusions that they are still a major player and they have a right to get the best managers in the world. Not won the Prem before, Man U are looking at beating your record of league titles, not even in the Champions League for crying out loud. Roy had f*** all to work with, at least at Fulham he had some decent players to be getting on and tick things over where Roy could get the best.

N'Gog, yes. He's going to get you in to the Champions League isn't he... Relying on Torres, Gerrard and Reina too much.

He had far better players at Liverpool then at Fulham? And Liverpool fans don't expect to be firing on all cylinders and winning trophy after trophy like in previous years. But it was clear Roy wasn't good enough for the job from the start and was only really employed by H&G to be a yes man, and it has been proven. Worst season in 57 years, no one can say he didn't deserve to go.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I like Liverpool, my first love. But them hitachi days are a dim and distant past. Still another 20 years from winning the title I'm afraid. Money rules and they don't have enough. Simples.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
35 years and 0 major honours, a good cup run with Fulham in a competition he only qualified for via the fair play league, in the same season they won 1 away game in the league, so yes a very average manager.

Here is the list of Hodgsons teams he managed over the years - how many of them were regarded as major trophy winning teams?

1971–1972 Maidstone United Assistant Coach
1976 Carshalton Athletic
1976–1980 Halmstad
1980–1982 Bristol City
1982 Oddevold
1983–1985 Örebro
1985–1990 Malmö FF
1990–1992 Neuchâtel Xamax
1992–1995 Switzerland
1995–1997 Internazionale
1997–1998 Blackburn Rovers
1999 Internazionale
1999–2000 Grasshopper
2000–2001 FC Copenhagen
2001 Udinese
2002–2004 United Arab Emirates
2004–2005 Viking
2006–2007 Finland
2007–2010 Fulham
2010–2011 Liverpool

When he managed Internazionale they were no where near the top Italian side they are considered to be now.
nternazionaleBefore the European Championships, Hodgson joined Italian Serie A giants Internazionale, where he worked from 1995 to 1997. With significant investment, he presided over a rebuilding phase. Inter had finished 13th and 6th in the seasons prior to his arrival. After a terrible start to the season, Hodgson was brought in and guided the club to 7th place in the 1995–96 season, qualifying for the UEFA Cup. The 1996–97 season saw Hodgson leave Inter after 14 wins, 13 draws and five defeats in Serie A, with Inter placed 3rd in the league, and he was replaced by Luigi Simoni whose side finished 2nd in the league in the 1997-8 season and won the UEFA Cup. Hodgson says of his time at Inter: "We lacked stars, apart from Paul Ince. It wasn't the Inter we see today of household names. They weren't the best technically but physically they were like machines. The Premier League is like that now, but back then Italy was far ahead."

Hodgson managed to get his Inter team, containing Javier Zanetti, Youri Djorkaeff and Paul Ince, through to the 1997 UEFA cup final where they would play Schalke 04. Given that Inter had a recent history of winning UEFA cup finals, with victories in both 1990 and 1994, the Italian side started as favorites. When the German underdogs won the final in Milan, Inter fans pelted Hodgson with coins and lighters. Hodgson later admitted that, throughout his one-and-a-half seasons at Inter, there had been regular speculation that he would get the sack, but he insisted he had had the support of the owners

Liverpool were already on a downward slope and needed rebuilding, but there was no money available to do so

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
@Guy Fawkes, you don't not manager big teams by coincidence. As I have said previously I don't have anything against the man but he wasn't good enough for the job and it has been proven. And it's funny how money is now an issue when Roy is in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here