Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgeson leaves Liverpool

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
He had far better players at Liverpool then at Fulham? And Liverpool fans don't expect to be firing on all cylinders and winning trophy after trophy like in previous years. But it was clear Roy wasn't good enough for the job from the start and was only really employed by H&G to be a yes man, and it has been proven. Worst season in 57 years, no one can say he didn't deserve to go.

He had 7 months to turn around a frankly awful squad with shit attitude and no confidence in to a competitive side. You have undermotivated players admist the chaos of your board take over so it would have taken more than seven months to do so.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Liverpool have been on a downward spiral for a while,it doesn't matter who the manger is.Hodgson is a great mnagaer but like i said its a job that nobody can succeed in at the moment.:D

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
He had 7 months to turn around a frankly awful squad with shit attitude and no confidence in to a competitive side. You have undermotivated players admist the chaos of your board take over so it would have taken more than seven months to do so.

I agree the job was very hard, that is my point, he is/was not good enough for that job.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He had far better players at Liverpool then at Fulham? And Liverpool fans don't expect to be firing on all cylinders and winning trophy after trophy like in previous years. But it was clear Roy wasn't good enough for the job from the start and was only really employed by H&G to be a yes man, and it has been proven. Worst season in 57 years, no one can say he didn't deserve to go.

So a club's stability or lack of it won't have an effect on players? the threat of administration, the ownership issues and uncertainty that followed, court cases etc... - seem to remember when we were going through our difficulties with the board while at the Goldstone that it had a major effect on results.

Seems to me Liverpool fans conveniently overlook this and lay all the blame at Hodgsons feet

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think Liverpool have delusions that they are still a major player and they have a right to get the best managers in the world. Not won the Prem before, Man U are looking at beating your record of league titles, not even in the Champions League for crying out loud. Roy had f*** all to work with, at least at Fulham he had some decent players to be getting on and tick things over where Roy could get the best.

N'Gog, yes. He's going to get you in to the Champions League isn't he... Relying on Torres, Gerrard and Reina too
much.
aaahhhh!! I hate people who think football only began in 1992! For the ducking last time you youngsters, there were great teams before man utd and Chelsea. And Blackburn for that matter! Liverpool are still the most successful English team of all time. And teams like everton, forest, villa etc did it before you had to have £200 million just to secure 4th place! Go and read some bloody history and stop banging on about the ducking premiership like nothing existed or counts before that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I dont think Poyet would go there, for the simple reason I dont think he will be on the list of replacements. If he was I would be very worried, wherever Liverpool may currently find themselves, they are still one of the biggest clubs in the world. An oppertunity to manage them would be, to much to turn down for 95% of managers. Only the Man Utd job is bigger in England.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
aaahhhh!! I hate people who think football only began in 1992! For the ducking last time you youngsters, there were great teams before man utd and Chelsea. And Blackburn for that matter! Liverpool are still the most successful English team of all time. And teams like everton, forest, villa etc did it before you had to have £200 million just to secure 4th place! Go and read some bloody history and stop banging on about the ducking premiership like nothing existed or counts before that.

This.....how many European cups, League titles, etc etc etc....History does count for something. Have they not been in the Champions league final Twice in the last ten years?....And won it, something Chelski have not achived!!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Liverpool FC are too BIG a club to get relegated.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have to say I think that it's a ridiculous decision. The man doesn't become a bad manager overnight - and he has a very good track record elsewhere. He inherited a poor squad, with two outstanding players but very little else. They should have given him the rest of the season at least. If they think appointing Dalglish will get them into the Champions League they are seriously deluded.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I have to say I think that it's a ridiculous decision. The man doesn't become a bad manager overnight - and he has a very good track record elsewhere. He inherited a poor squad, with two outstanding players but very little else. They should have given him the rest of the season at least. If they think appointing Dalglish will get them into the Champions League they are seriously deluded.

Biggest achievement in 35 years losing a UFEA cup final? He isn't a bad manager but he certainly isn't a great one. 3 points of the bottom half way through the season, worst season in 57 years. It was the correct decision to let him go, and he knows it as as well. No one expects Dalglish to take Liverpool into the top 4 but he will install a lot for pride and passion into the side.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
@Guy Fawkes, you don't not manager big teams by coincidence. As I have said previously I don't have anything against the man but he wasn't good enough for the job and it has been proven. And it's funny how money is now an issue when Roy is in charge.

Whoever was in charge, money would have been an issue due to crippling debts, the threat of administration, ownership squabbles etc... - if he had a fraction of the money the previous managers had to spend he would have been able to transform that team and get them heading in the right direction again.

Funny how a manager who wastes £17+ million on one average player like Aquilani, let alone all the other poor overpriced buys like Babel (£11.5m) etc... doesnt get anywhere near the stick for failing that Hodgson received despite having next to nothing to spend and forced to buy poorer players like Konchesky as a result of a lack of cash for transfers (someone i guess Liverpool fans wouldnt take to as he wasnt a big enough name or some unknown foriegner)

How do you rebuild something that is badly broken with no real cash to spend on it? - it would take a lot longer and be a gradual process taking a lot longer than the 7 months Hodgson was given

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Liverpool are the ideal club for somebody like Poyet a big club that have gone down hill and he could bring them back up to the glory days. Whether or not the club would appoint him with his experience is doubtful but fromhis perspective it is a win, win situation b ut then again I think he is aiming for The premiership with us.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was winding up an LFC at work yesterday, telling him Roy Keane had been spotted in Liverpool. As we chatted on, he said he'd rather hang on to Hodgson and hated the idea of Kenny going back. He also said he wouldn't be bothered if Torres & Gerrard left, as long as the 'keeper stayed.

They still are a 'big' club in many senses, so its kinda fun watching all this.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Whoever was in charge, money would have been an issue due to crippling debts, the threat of administration, ownership squabbles etc... - if he had a fraction of the money the previous managers had to spend he would have been able to transform that team and get them heading in the right direction again.

Funny how a manager who wastes £17+ million on one average player like Aquilani, let alone all the other poor overpriced buys like Babel (£11.5m) etc... doesnt get anywhere near the stick for failing that Hodgson received despite having next to nothing to spend and forced to buy poorer players like Konchesky as a result of a lack of cash for transfers (someone i guess Liverpool fans wouldnt take to as he wasnt a big enough name or some unknown foriegner)

How do you rebuild something that is badly broken with no real cash to spend on it? - it would take a lot longer and be a gradual process taking a lot longer than the 7 months Hodgson was given

His negative attitude and football from the beginning is a sign that he wouldn't of got the team moving in the right direction. Rafa got large stick for the team coming 7th, no way would he have had as much of a poor season as Roy has had. Hodgson was not good enough for the job and his record proved it. He had a 35% win ration, so had to go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He couldnt handle and galvanise the players at Liverpool so he has no chance whatsoever with England and I would not in a million years want him as England manager. The job is too big for him West Ham would suit when they get relegated. Dalgleish will re install some pride in the players and they will be ok for the rest of the season and provided he states now that he is only doing it until the end of the season it will enable a new man to come in and re jig the squad with no malice from the fans.

While I'm not necessarily advocating him for the England job, don't you think he'd be more successful galvanising a group of native English speakers, English players in their national side as representatives of their country than he was trying to galvanise English, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Brazilian, Serbian, Greek, Argentinian, Scottish, Australian, French players around the flag of a failing Liverpool club?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Roy wasn't good enough for the job, anyone could see that after a couple of months. Dalglish will succeed in getting them playing decent football and get them into the top 7 at least. He's been watching every match and probably has the best football brain in the country still. Just watch them rise again. I'm guessing Deschamps will arrive in the summer.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Actually, i made reference to football before the Prem when i said Man U are going to overtake you as the team who have won the most ENGLISH LEAGUE TITLES. THe point still stands that you have not won the top league in this country since the Prem came about. A quantifiable fact. I hate it when you bang on about your glories and you being the most successful team in English history.

Also given that I'm a diehard supporter of a League One Side who had its best spell during the 80's I am well aware of the existance of football before 92. So please don't f***ing patronize me with what i do and don't know.

As for history: I got an A at GCSE :smokin: :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here