Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some boos at the proclamation in Edinburgh.

I have no problem with that. Historical pantomime. The establishment knows there are many anti-monarchists.

If they show dis-respect to the arrival of the courtage, I don't think folk will be so tolerant.

Totally to be expected, frustrated that Salmond never made president.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Some boos at the proclamation in Edinburgh.

I have no problem with that. Historical pantomime. The establishment knows there are many anti-monarchists.

If they show dis-respect to the arrival of the courtage, I don't think folk will be so tolerant.

Basically morons.

They can hide behind history as much as they like, but really they are just thick.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This six hour drive, Shirley some of the more 'mature' passengers will need to stop for a comfort break.

Motorway services?

Perhaps they've brought a throne with them to perch on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
90% of these souls standing roadside for however long seem to be videoing a car going past.

I DO hope that there is a central website where these can all be uploaded to and viewed at leisure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Their history is a bit twisted. It was a union of the crowns but effectively it was the Scottish royal line that produced the king of England and Scotland. So are they booing on our behalf because, if so, they needn’t bother.

It was but then the Stuarts wanted to return to Catholicism, and the crown went to the cousins William & Mary, which caused the Jacobite rebellion. As neither Mary nor her sister Anne, had children, the crown moved to another cousin, of the house of Hanover, George 1.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It certainly doesn't seem like there's an anti-monarchy echo chamber on NSC or elsewhere. I feel very much part of the minority. Bemused by the view of others, for sure, but no axe to grind.

I am stridently against the monarchy. On most threads about any aspect of Monarchy I will detail why I think they are a despicable concept and largely a despicable bunch of people, washed by the media and tradition to appear like good servants of the people when nothing could be further from reality. It is we they demand serve them.

I find all this pomp and circumstance revolting.

However, we have lost a woman who symbolised much good in our country and to many people. I can respect that and feel sad at her passing as much as the next man.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fancy standing around for hours to see her pass through your phone camera, I'm sure 90% of people have their phones in the air

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am stridently against the monarchy. On most threads about any aspect of Monarchy I will detail why I think they are a despicable concept and largely a despicable bunch of people, washed by the media and tradition to appear like good servants of the people when nothing could be further from reality. It is we they demand serve them.

I find all this pomp and circumstance revolting.

However, we have lost a woman who symbolised much good in our country and to many people. I can respect that and feel sad at her passing as much as the next man.

The obvious response it that it might be an outdated and outmoded institution, populated by a load of over-privileged and under-intelligent super rich people you definitely wouldn't want to go down the pub with, but look at the recent alternatives - Putin, Trump, Johnson, various African and South American elected presidents too numerous to mention......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As is the countryside around Balmoral and Deeside. I think international tourism to Scotland will get an unexpected boost following the coverage today.

I love the Highlands including Royal Deeside. Many weeks touring almost the entire country, long before the 500 was dreamt up. In places such as Loch Tongue sometimes not seeing another vehicle for an hour, in August! Bet that’s not the case now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The obvious response it that it might be an outdated and outmoded institution, populated by a load of over-privileged and under-intelligent super rich people you definitely wouldn't want to go down the pub with, but look at the recent alternatives - Putin, Trump, Johnson, various African and South American elected presidents too numerous to mention......

I don't think they have ever been offered up as alternatives to the Queen, have they? As far as I'm aware it was always going to be Charles.

NB - Many, many countries do very well without a monarch.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It was but then the Stuarts wanted to return to Catholicism, and the crown went to the cousins William & Mary, which caused the Jacobite rebellion. As neither Mary nor her sister Anne, had children, the crown moved to another cousin, of the house of Hanover, George 1.

It did, but at the time of the act of Union, it was not the English somehow taking over the Scottish crown, more the other way around if anything. I appreciate plenty of things have happened since!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I know people who did have a beer with the King whilst he was in the Navy. I haven’t heard anyone who moaned about him, unlike his younger brother.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Watching these programs about the Queen and our new King one thing that is coming across is how good they were/are at diplomacy, presumably because they are perceived as apolitical. Not something that would be done as well by someone in an elected position or someone appointed by a politician perhaps.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watching these programs about the Queen and our new King one thing that is coming across is how good they were/are at diplomacy, presumably because they are perceived as apolitical. Not something that would be done as well by someone in an elected position or someone appointed by a politician perhaps.

I take that from this too, holding things together, talking and international friendships. That can only be a good thing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here