Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
RIP. As several have said on here... i am not a royalist but i very much liked her. This news has upset me more than i expected. She just seemed like a very decent lady.

I always remember seeing her helicopter onto Broadwater green to open the new Durrington School build. I made sure i was there to just see her in the flesh.

She was certainly a very special lady.

Sad news. FWIW i think Charles will do well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is interesting, it’s barely changed in 30 years, that’s despite all the Meghan/Harry sh1t storm
https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/monarchyroyal-family-trends-monarchy-v-republic-1993-2022

Before the last few days, I would’ve guessed a significant trend in favour of (Boris, Jeremy, Keir or Tony) being our all powerful president.

I think the almost never-ending stream of terrible choices of president across the pond coupled with the utterly awful state of British politicians are enough to make almost anyone think twice. If it was ever going to happen, it was probably in the days after Diana when a popular PM and an out-of-touch monarchy were both seen by the public, they’re very lucky Blair wasn’t a republican as that was the moment,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the almost never-ending stream of terrible choices of president across the pond coupled with the utterly awful state of British politicians are enough to make almost anyone think twice. If it was ever going to happen, it was probably in the days after Diana when a popular PM and an out-of-touch monarchy were both seen by the public, they’re very lucky Blair wasn’t a republican as that was the moment,

I think you’re right.

Then a quick change of tack, bringing them all back from Balmoral in the precarious week, saved everlasting damage.

To demonstrate the fickle nature of politics, 6 years on Blair was loathed by half the country for Iraq, in great part by the left.

I’m comfortable with a steady constitutional head of state, unscathed by the ups and downs of politics. That’s until a proven system that would 100% work with our electorate is shown to me. An all powerful president, lucking out with an election win at a discrete moment in time, isn’t for me.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I recall this amazing sound from the Queen Mum's funeral.

Albeit an Irish tune, it's so powerful with the drums in sync.

I hope HM has similar.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Seeing all the flowers made me think. If they actually said what she had died of, think of the charitable donations it could raise. Flowers and Paddington Bears make for a good photo but surely a chance to do a lot of good in aid of help/research for her cause of death. Even if it is old age - Age Concern or the like.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Corrected for you.

I'm not so sure............ I realise from your posts on this thread that your views are similar to mine (not in the alleged 'echo chamber') - but do you really think that along with the rest if the nation, that NSC is 3 to 1 in favour of the monarchy?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not so sure............ I realise from your posts on this thread that your views are similar to mine (not in the alleged 'echo chamber') - but do you really think that along with the rest if the nation, that NSC is 3 to 1 in favour of the monarchy?

In general on all contentious non-football threads, people with an axe to grind pile in. It’s like the BBC QT audiences of the 80’s and 90’s …. the angry Tory hating audience giving an impression of a hard left nation, or conversely QT audiences of the last 15 years …. you’d think the country was en masse up in arms about migrants ever settling here. [The BBC admitted it’s hard to screen folk for a representative audience, as they fib].

There’s a large number of folk here who keep their political views to themselves and/or find the arguments tedious.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This six hour drive, Shirley some of the more 'mature' passengers will need to stop for a comfort break.

Motorway services?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Corrected for you.

It certainly doesn't seem like there's an anti-monarchy echo chamber on NSC or elsewhere. I feel very much part of the minority. Bemused by the view of others, for sure, but no axe to grind.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
This six hour drive, Shirley some of the more 'mature' passengers will need to stop for a comfort break.

Motorway services?

It’s a good job they are not all in electric vehicles. Might just about have had enough range, but it would have been tight!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It certainly doesn't seem like there's an anti-monarchy echo chamber on NSC or elsewhere. I feel very much part of the minority. Bemused by the view of others, for sure, but no axe to grind.
I think, to be fair, that the republican and anti-monarchy people have behaved very well in the last few days, and not come piling in. All credit to them for that. Elections, Prime Ministers, referendums, for instance - it's a different matter!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I was really kind of referring to the sway of political or similar posts generally on nsc, as I think (I could be wrong) that [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] was alluding to a cabal that try to dominate those threads.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some boos at the proclamation in Edinburgh.

I have no problem with that. Historical pantomime. The establishment knows there are many anti-monarchists.

If they show dis-respect to the arrival of the courtage, I don't think folk will be so tolerant.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Some boos at the proclamation in Edinburgh.

I have no problem with that. Historical pantomime. The establishment knows there are many anti-monarchists.

If they show dis-respect to the arrival of the courtage, I don't think folk will be so tolerant.

Their history is a bit twisted. It was a union of the crowns but effectively it was the Scottish royal line that produced the king of England and Scotland. So are they booing on our behalf because, if so, they needn’t bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here