Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Confirmation Mon 19th. A forced bank holiday only a week away makes it very difficult for lots of businesses and the NHS. And I really feel for those who are going to have operations cancelled after waiting for maybe 2 years and might have to wait another goodness knows how long

When would you suggest then? At the crossroads, at midnight, with no-one knowing? Maybe they've decided Monday so that the FA and PL can take the opportunity they've just been handed to play next weekend's fixtures on time?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bad news for republicans, young folk seem to love the royals. As does Starmer’s Labour party.

William and Kate have natural rapport with people.

I reckon we’ll have a constitutional monarchy that’ll see all of us out :smile:

I think you may well be right, but hopefully, they'll slim it down a bit.

Barring disaster, Chas & Camilla, Wills & his Mrs and kids should really be sufficient, don't you think :wink:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bad news for republicans, young folk seem to love the royals. As does Starmer’s Labour party.

Young people also choke themselves till they black out as people on Tiktok were doing it.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
From what I’ve seen of todays events Which we haven’t seen for 70 years it’s confirmed in my mind how some of this pomp abd ceremony isn’t really fitting with modern day Britain and just looks weird.

It’s called tradition.

A bit like singing Sussex by the Sea before a football match.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

I’ve always said the population is made up of 20% royalists, maybe 10% republicans. The remaining 70% are meh about it. The swing could be dangerous due to this and also if the royals behave like they have in recent years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Young people also choke themselves till they black out as people on Tiktok were doing it.

I should’ve said the wider group zero to 30’s, so much adoration and interest.

I had thought it would all kind of fall apart once Liz passed away.

Far from it. Vast crowds.

Folk wanting politicians from the Tory or Labour parties to head our state in every possible way, will never see that.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I’ve always said the population is made up of 20% royalists, maybe 10% republicans. The remaining 70% are meh about it. The swing could be dangerous due to this and also if the royals behave like they have in recent years.

Sad that we no longer have thumbs down...you`d probably be heading for a record.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This is interesting, it’s barely changed in 30 years, that’s despite all the Meghan/Harry sh1t storm
https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/monarchyroyal-family-trends-monarchy-v-republic-1993-2022

Before the last few days, I would’ve guessed a significant trend in favour of (Boris, Jeremy, Keir or Tony) being our all powerful president.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I should’ve said the wider group zero to 30’s, so much adoration and interest.

I had thought it would all kind of fall apart once Liz passed away.

Far from it. Vast crowds.

Folk wanting politicians from the Tory or Labour parties to head our state in every possible way, will never see that.

I can't deny there still seems to be an inexplicable devotion. As with all celebrity culture and idol worship, I will never understand it but I'll hold my tongue till the revolution comes. In the meantime, RIP Liz and condolences to the family.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

In general, people love dead people.

Your monarchy is probably safe unless mr King makes a couple of mistakes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't deny there still seems to be an inexplicable devotion. As with all celebrity culture and idol worship, I will never understand it but I'll hold my tongue till the revolution comes. In the meantime, RIP Liz and condolences to the family.

I think of our monarchy as a comforting constant in the background, in an increasingly angry/polarised world.

Social media is a magnet for minority of the UK/world who want to type their polarised hate and lies every waking hour. NSC is a relative pussycat compared to elsewhere. Then we see Trump, Putin and China trying to tear the world apart. In this country the noisy minority of people who are 24-7 Labour-haters or Tory-haters wrongly think they’re in political cults that will win.

Apolitical parts of our nation and establishment are a welcome haven from all that.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Really nice to see the two bothers along with the princess and duchess viewing the tributes and talking to the crowds in Windsor. Hopefully a time and opportunity to build some bridges.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think of our monarchy as a comforting constant in the background, in an increasingly angry/polarised world.

Social media is a magnet for minority of the UK/world who want to type their polarised hate and lies every waking hour. NSC is a relative pussycat compared to elsewhere. Then we see Trump, Putin and China trying to tear the world apart. In this country the noisy minority of people who are 24-7 Labour-haters or Tory-haters wrongly think they’re in political cults that will win.

Apolitical parts of our nation and establishment are a welcome haven from all that.

Polarisation is never a good thing but the concept of rich people in golden hats as a unifier is beyond me. Anyway, not the time nor place. This a debate for another day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Living in the UK all my life, the Queen was loved or liked.

This isn’t a James Dean scenario.

Genuinely, how have the Danish and Swedish people kept their love for their royals?

Our King has been on the throne for 50 years next year.

The royal house and politics are a lot more separated here than they seem to be in England, meaning controversy is always pretty far away. He said something dumb about another king one time, and there's been rumours he went to strip clubs in the 80s. Other than that he's just been... a jolly bloke really. Bit goofy. He doesn't really bother anyone and also doesn't have the same respect as your Queen did. He just.. is.

He does like a smoke though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurdDtmp2Yk

The Swedish political identity (we don't do hierarchy and classes and shit) really does not accept a King and we were very close to getting rid of him for most of the last century but as Gustav V (ruling 1907-1950) was a pretty likeable fella and extremely useful under World War 2 (he was a friend of Hitler while also being popular in the Jewish community due to frequent attempts to convince Hitler to 'go easy' on the Jews) and that kind of saved the monarchy here. He was a bit nazi, a bit funny, a bit jew-friendly, most likely homosexual, liked sports, liked a good laugh... something for all really. And now the current king is kind of riding on that "well ok lets have a king, why not"-wave.

Then we had a dull king for a couple of years and now we have the goofy fella.

How it is Denmark I don't know, but the Norwegians love their royals. They're generally very much into God and Kings and various ancient stuff. You can't buy a beer in Norway on Sundays, says it all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our King has been on the throne for 50 years next year.

The royal house and politics are a lot more separated here than they seem to be in England, meaning controversy is always pretty far away. He said something dumb about another king one time, and there's been rumours he went to strip clubs in the 80s. Other than that he's just been... a jolly bloke really. Bit goofy. He doesn't really bother anyone and also doesn't have the same respect as your Queen did. He just.. is.

He does like a smoke though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurdDtmp2Yk

The Swedish political identity (we don't do hierarchy and classes and shit) really does not accept a King and we were very close to getting rid of him for most of the last century but as Gustav V (ruling 1907-1950) was a pretty likeable fella and extremely useful under World War 2 (he was a friend of Hitler while also being popular in the Jewish community due to frequent attempts to convince Hitler to 'go easy' on the Jews) and that kind of saved the monarchy here. He was a bit nazi, a bit funny, a bit jew-friendly, most likely homosexual, liked sports, liked a good laugh... something for all really. And now the current king is kind of riding on that "well ok lets have a king, why not"-wave.

Then we had a dull king for a couple of years and now we have the goofy fella.

How it is Denmark I don't know, but the Norwegians love their royals. They're generally very much into God and Kings and various ancient stuff. You can't buy a beer in Norway on Sundays, says it all.

Our Swedish friends, in their 40’s, adore your royal family. Whenever there’s a Swedish royal wedding, it’s a house lock-in for the entire day, happy tears shed.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have to admit these endless documentaries on Elizabeth almost brings a tear to my eye.
Would it be a lot of different to most of our families though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here