Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Vast and respectful crowds, soldiers from the Scottish regiments a great sight. UK traditions, fantastic to see.

I agree.

Feel sorry for the family. This is like a pre-funeral service to be followed by the procession in London, to be followed by the funeral service, to be followed by the private service back at Windsor. That's hard on anyone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree.

Feel sorry for the family. This is like a pre-funeral service to be followed by the procession in London, to be followed by the funeral service, to be followed by the private service back at Windsor. That's hard on anyone.

Yep a very drawn out period of mourning played out and televised to the world, it must be really tough.

King Charles is no spring chicken either, must be taking a toll on him

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yep a very drawn out period of mourning played out and televised to the world, it must be really tough.

King Charles is no spring chicken either, must be taking a toll on him

I actually thought on the occasions I've seen her Camilla looking very doddery

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am relieved and glad to see that this is all being handled with a quiet dignity. It would have been inappropriate to have a national outpouring of histrionic grief, a la Diana.

Yes. Agreed. "Histronic grief" is now solely reserved for the BBC. And don't they do it well.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Edinburgh. Scenes.

A stunning city centre.

Purely coincidentally Mrs Corner and I had pre-booked being in Edinburgh from last Friday to today. Never been here before - it’s a magnificent place! We did the Royal Mile stuff on Saturday - Castle was closed and all the preparations for TV etc were under way. The city has been heaving since yesterday morning. We’ll deffo come back - architecture outstanding and lots of cool bars, cafes, suburbs etc - lovely Scots locals too

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Purely coincidentally Mrs Corner and I had pre-booked being in Edinburgh from last Friday to today. Never been here before - it’s a magnificent place! We did the Royal Mile stuff on Saturday - Castle was closed and all the preparations for TV etc were under way. The city has been heaving since yesterday morning. We’ll deffo come back - architecture outstanding and lots of cool bars, cafes, suburbs etc - lovely Scots locals too

Yes great city. Must head back soon it's been over 10 years

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We loved Edinburgh. We went to the Tattoo in the castle, and visited the Royal Yacht in Leith, with time to wander around the city.
I’d love to go back.
I’ve also stayed in St Andrew’s and toured around Fife.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Getting a little tired of the style of media coverage of this now. Every front page competing to be more iconic than the last. Tomorrows' front pages full of it:

"WE WILL WATCH OVER YOU"

"Guard of honour"

"Vigil for a Mother"

"THE KING'S VIGIL"

Ugh.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'm really glad I'm not living in England right now. Although by weird coincidence Her Maj's funeral coincides with a national holiday here in Japan called "Respect old people day". I liked the way she would add some shade to her supposedly apolitical engagements. Like when she met Trump wearing Obama's pin gift and wearing that obviously pro-EU outfit. I'll raise a glass to the old dear.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Getting a little tired of the style of media coverage of this now. Every front page competing to be more iconic than the last. Tomorrows' front pages full of it:

"WE WILL WATCH OVER YOU"

"Guard of honour"

"Vigil for a Mother"

"THE KING'S VIGIL"

Ugh.
Yeah totally over it now, why as a country do we dwell on things for so long or until the next BIG story comes along.
Surely hearing some other news isn't that disrespectful?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Vast and respectful crowds, soldiers from the Scottish regiments a great sight. UK traditions, fantastic to see.

I thought the slow March from Holyrood up to the Cathedral was wonderful. Just so quietly dignified.
My grandfather was in the King’s own battalion of the Grenadier Guards before the First World War so did guard duty at Buckingham Palace and the like. I remember as a kid watching Churchill’s funeral with him….. “those lines aren’t straight”, “they can’t March” and so on. It was still impressive.
But all yesterday’s stuff seemed to me to be beautifully done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

"WE WILL WATCH OVER YOU"

"Guard of honour"

"Vigil for a Mother"

"THE KING'S VIGIL"

Ugh.

Resorted to watching Aljazeera much to Mrs O's annoyance. Just wanted to check WW3 hadn't started.

I'll watch the main bits of the funeral to pay my respects, that's enough for me

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Been a republican for many years and I still think there is a time and place for protest. Now is really not the time and is probably damaging the movement rather than helping.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We should probably have a different thread for the instances of weirdos. Far too many people being interviewed who clearly are a bit odd in expressing their grief.

Eg “I had to be here, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity” (very poor choice of words IMO!) Also, people that have been round seeing her lying in state 7 or more times! (Sake, it’s not a fairground ride!) “I wanted to bring my baby so I can say she was there” (again, you mawkish ****, it’s not a giant selfie!)

These occasions always bring out the loons but when it’s a death I find all the smiling at the cameras and “Me me me”, almost “grief offs” all rather undignified. What’s wrong with mourning her without desperately seeking a media outlet or posting your own footage online to gain ‘likes’? Some very peculiar people…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here