Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I would imagine it lasts longer than two days as well !!

Yes but the infrastructure there is designed to handle those kinds of heats as it's far more common. Also the heat there is a completely different kind due to humidity.

I know someone from Arizona who had to do some work in Stockholm for a couple of weeks and said the heat was unbearable even though it was far cooler, just because it's different humidity and less common to have air con or buildings designed to stay cold.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The UK isn't built around having these temperatures consistently and the humidity is far different than Greece for example.

This makes the same temperatures far worse in the UK than other places.

We must grin and bear it. We’ve caused climate change as much as the next nation, and whilst everyone including us is still arguing over which deckchair should go where, you could argue that’s almost a cathartic response to knowing the truth of the matter: that someone didn’t pay enough attention to warnings of icebergs and compounded it by not bringing enough life rafts.

As I and many others have repeatedly said down the decades on NSC, I have absolutely no faith in our attempts to avert environmental disaster simply because it requires humans to cooperate on an unprecedented scale - and what hope of that is there, realistically? Countries like China far more likely and probably will seize other countries for their populations rather than tackle domestic pollution which causes natural disasters at home. It’s more ‘turnkey’ as a solution!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Although bloody hot (I've lived in that part of the world too), England just isn't designed to cope with such heat. 28 here with our insulated housing and sparse amounts of air conditioning can almost be as unbearable as 40 elsewhere.

Indeed. Where I work has large glass windows and no air conditioning. If I walk on a normal sunny day it's unbearably hot and the week before last was causing issues with laptops over heating

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fed up of people banging on about 1976 to diminish the risk of the next few days. The temperature that year peaked at 35 on one day. This is looking to be 5-6 degrees higher than that. It’s not a remotely comparable situation.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fed up of people banging on about 1976 to diminish the risk of the next few days. The temperature that year peaked at 35 on one day. This is looking to be 5-6 degrees higher than that. It’s not a remotely comparable situation.

You’re right, it isn’t. In 1976 we had weeks and weeks of it. This time round it may be a couple of degrees hotter but for only two days. No comparison.

Edit; I’ve just checked the BBC forecast for Brighton and it’s 31 and 30 for Monday and Tuesday then back to 23 ie not even approaching 1976 temperatures.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You’re right, it isn’t. In 1976 we had weeks and weeks of it. This time round it may be a couple of degrees hotter but for only two days. No comparison.

Edit; I’ve just checked the BBC forecast for Brighton and it’s 31 and 30 for Monday and Tuesday then back to 23 ie not even approaching 1976 temperatures.

BBC forecast is shite these days ever since they were forced to ditch the Met Office to “cut costs” by the Government

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The UK isn't built around having these temperatures consistently and the humidity is far different than Greece for example.

This makes the same temperatures far worse in the UK than other places.

Quite. I spent six days in a forsaken outpost in Australian outback. 40 degrees was fine. It was a very dry heat that was easily accustomed too. 25 degrees in the tropics was unbearable.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As I and many others have repeatedly said down the decades on NSC, I have absolutely no faith in our attempts to avert environmental disaster simply because it requires humans to cooperate on an unprecedented scale - and what hope of that is there, realistically? Countries like China far more likely and probably will seize other countries for their populations rather than tackle domestic pollution which causes natural disasters at home. It’s more ‘turnkey’ as a solution!

A recent ruling by the US Supreme Court has sided with coal producing states and companies over greenhouse gas emissions and represents a major setback to the EPA and Biden's climate plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62000742

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
“Last year we didn’t reach temperatures anywhere near the ones that are predicted for next week, [and] we saw over 1,600 excess deaths associated with the period of heatwave. So this is why we are keen that everybody knows what they can do to stay safe,”

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's okay everyone. Just enjoy the searing heat. You're 'cowardly' if you don't. You stupid snowflakes.

According to this Tory MP anyway..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...-and-everything-wrong-with-britain/ar-AAZC2sO

He’s not wrong tho is he. If anyone is that worried just go sit in a bath of cold water for 2-3 days.

My daughters school just emailed to say it’s unsafe for the lollipop man to be there on Monday & Tuesday. Sod the 600 kids that need to cross a busy road - one bloke can’t stand outside for 15 mins in a high viz. FFS!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He’s not wrong tho is he. If anyone is that worried just go sit in a bath of cold water for 2-3 days.

My daughters school just emailed to say it’s unsafe for the lollipop man to be there on Monday & Tuesday. Sod the 600 kids that need to cross a busy road - one bloke can’t stand outside for 15 mins in a high viz. FFS!

He's very wrong. Brits are not climatised to those sort of temperatures. Folk should listen to the MET Office and not a climate change denying buffoon.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Apparently people in this country no longer can use their brain or common sense and wait to see what the weather will be like on each day, then act accordingly

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I have no idea why people are being called out for simply suggesting simple precautions for very unusually hot whether. If you go on holiday to a tropical country as I have many times you expect high temperature and act accordingly. At home with people not used to such heat it's perfectly reasonable for the met office to give advice and warnings. It is not "snowflake" to take advice and sensible precautions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here