Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I lived in Greece for a few years 36 is a normal friggin day what’s wrong with this country and the weather. Anything apart from grey skies and rain it’s panic mode just heard the trains might not run ffs.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Wondering what infrastructure will bend first? But seriously folks very high temperatures are really not a joke especially for the elderly and those with health issues
The train tracks....

54228d6a943341b9cb9252e864710cd3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our lads are supposed to be playing cricket next Monday night and the forecast is 34 degrees. This is without doubt a new issue. Anyone that's played cricket has stared out the window at 8 hours worth of rain but too hot? No one has had that one before in England.

I'm supposed to be playing football at 6.30pm...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You have to commute TO the office before you can attempt to get home, that won't be too pleasant either.

I go up early and am usually on the tube by about 7:25 in the mornings so not too bad.

Whimp.

Anyone who regularly caught the 5.17 London Bridge to Littlehampton service in the days of the slam door trains and no air conditioning after it had spent all day in the sum in the sidings at Selhurst with all the windows closed will have stories of how hot the carriages were when getting on.

And no heat warning at all. It was so hot, that some people were known to loosen their ties.

Respect :eek:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The train tracks....

54228d6a943341b9cb9252e864710cd3.jpg

That’s never real.

It’s real. But it’s compressed perspective created by a telephoto lens. Consider a train travelling at 80mph that bend isn’t good news

It doesn't look like compressed perspective as the focus is too sharp and the distance too short. More likely to be Photoshop.

More importantly, why is the bloke on the right not wearing any trousers?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Watching the news now. Overuse of the colour red to shit everyone up. They’ve wheeled out ‘COVID expert’ Fergus Walsh who just happens to be wearing a red tie too. How convenient.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Watching the news now. Overuse of the colour red to shit everyone up. They’ve wheeled out ‘COVID expert’ Fergus Walsh who just happens to be wearing a red tie too. How convenient.

The problem is we are used to Daily Express hysteria over nothing. So when the shit turns real there is a risk some may ignore.

Not many are used to 40 degrees. I spent a while in central Australia and it's the nights that are worse.

But I worry for older folk. I'll be checking in on the neighbour. Think folk should be mindful of those around them.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The thing is this is a legitimately unprecedented situation.

I’m not sure I’d agree it’s unprecedented, legitimately or not.

Here’s some of the highlights we enjoyed back in 1976:

16 consecutive days over 30°C (86°F) from 23 June to 8 July

15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2°C (90°F)

5 days saw temperatures exceed 35°C (95°F).

On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6°C (96.1°F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK.

On 3rd July temperatures reaching 35.9*°C (96.6*°F) in Cheltenham.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A number of schools are closing next week and others are ditching uniforms, as temperatures in parts of the UK are predicted to hit 40C (104F).

A national emergency has been declared after a red extreme heat warning was issued for Monday and Tuesday.

Schools are not being ordered to shut, but are being encouraged to take steps to ensure pupils are safe.

Teachers say schools will need to judge whether or not to fully or partially close in some instances.

But one teaching union said widespread closures were "unlikely at this stage".

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That’s never real.

It’s real. But it’s compressed perspective created by a telephoto lens. Consider a train travelling at 80mph that bend isn’t good news

It doesn't look like compressed perspective as the focus is too sharp and the distance too short. More likely to be Photoshop.

It was caused by one of the New Zealand earthquakes - this was right on the faultline.

https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2010/11/02/the-canterbury-earthquake-images-of-the-distorted-railway-line/

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017

The image is cropped. Compressed perspective would do this. Check out Hyperfocal Distance. For example using a 600mm lens with focus set at 100m at an aperture of f9 renders everything between 93m and 107m sharp but more importantly 1379m is the hyperfocal distance and that would be acceptably sharp (but for less pixels to show that sharpness). Aperture increases depth of field so for example f2.8 would create less sharpness but a smaller aperture (say f22) introduces diffraction which actually decreased sharpness but increases that depth of field.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Today here it has been a mere 33 degrees and very tolerable.

However, Tuesday was 39 degrees in Bordeaux...( horrible ) and yesterday 38 degrees where I am...( also extremely unpleasant. ).

Monday is the day we are a little bit concerned about ...41 degrees forecast. That really is unpleasant to put it mildy , having had a 42 degree day last summer.

The problem is that we are simply not used to these extreme temperatures. If it does reach 32 o 33 degrees on the coast there....you will not be accustomed to it.

Take care all of you....and take care of elderly people you know in your vicinity. Please.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Today here it has been a mere 33 degrees and very tolerable.

However, Tuesday was 39 degrees in Bordeaux...( horrible ) and yesterday 38 degrees where I am...( also extremely unpleasant. ).

Monday is the day we are a little bit concerned about ...41 degrees forecast. That really is unpleasant to put it mildy , having had a 42 degree day last summer.

The problem is that we are simply not used to these extreme temperatures. If it does reach 32 o 33 degrees on the coast there....you will not be accustomed to it.

Take care all of you....and take care of elderly people you know in your vicinity. Please.

AC6CA0F5-BFB0-4401-B020-FC0FB372B641.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here