Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
In southern Europe, many places have external blinds which extend the whole area of the window to block out all sunshine. Probably a cheaper alternative to external shutters.

Back here in the UK, I wonder if those who have built new, bespoke houses with vast expanses of windows, have really thought it through.
And they are all incredibly well insulated, perfect for keeping the heat in!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How depressing. Literally more fuel for the fire. I wonder why the Supreme Court ruled in favour. Obviously will be nothing to do with filthy rich corporate lobbyists. I simply hope when the tsunami hits they’re the first to go (on their private islands)

its because the law didnt allow the actions EPA wanted to impose. the court said if you want to do this thing, you'll need to change the law to allow for it. it was less about climate, more about powers of government agencies, where they assume power, create law, without going through legislative process - no one discussing or voting on it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In southern Europe, many places have external blinds which extend the whole area of the window to block out all sunshine. Probably a cheaper alternative to external shutters.

Back here in the UK, I wonder if those who have built new, bespoke houses with vast expanses of windows, have really thought it through.

My new apartment here in Berlin has to have external shutters/blinds on all south facing windows as part of the planning regulations.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Then the sun heats up your curtains and they act like a radiator, as they are on the inside, which was precisely my point. It doesn't really matter whether the sun is heating up your curtains, your sofa, or your lover.

Yes, outdoor shutters are better, curtains/blinds indoors are better than nothing.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
My new apartment here in Berlin has to have external shutters/blinds on all south facing windows as part of the planning regulations.

External shutters are a brilliant thing to keep homes colder. Wish I had them, but not often available in this country - thought I know some of the older buildings in Brighton have them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Already missing the pool in menorca yesterday [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
External shutters are a brilliant thing to keep homes colder. Wish I had them, but not often available in this country - thought I know some of the older buildings in Brighton have them.

Agree. The ones we have are best described as modern electrically operated metal Venetian blinds and they make a huge difference. They also remove the need for any internal blinds…..something me and the missus are currently arguing about for the other windows :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So what are your plans for the big heat?

I plan on blowing up the lilo, getting a cool bag full of cold beverages, heading over to the beach for the morning , some tunes on the ‘phones and chilling. Dip in the sea here and there. Gonna lean into the rare good weather.

Head back indoors for the hottest part of the day. Maybe head to the Buck when it cools off.

You?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

[tweet]1548322227891818496[/tweet]

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011

I plan on blowing up the lilo, getting a cool bag full of cold beverages, heading over to the beach for the morning , some tunes on the ‘phones and chilling. Dip in the sea here and there. Gonna lean into the rare good weather.

Head back indoors for the hottest part of the day. Maybe head to the Buck when it cools off.

You?

I live in a 43' solid steel tube.
I shall be sitting outside in the sun to keep cool ... :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m a bit worried about the scientists. Now that the terrifying heat has struck are they still being very earnest or are they enjoying the good weather ?

I think you’re 35C is on (and I was wrong). With no cooling breeze from the Irish Sea.

C23D94C0-CB8E-431E-ACD1-B41CC0795AA9.png

B8B3986F-BCC9-4533-B759-80C86AF768F4.png

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

You?

Wife insists on getting some exercise - eg. a six mile walk. So I'll be checking the pretty colours on the Ventusky web site, and deciding where to go - https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.154;-4.988;10&l=feel&t=20220718/1400 - Portloe is a chilly 23c.

Not forecast to be too bad here in Truro, but I don't like the heat. Sitting with a book in the cathedral sounds cool.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wife insists on getting some exercise - eg. a six mile walk. So I'll be checking the pretty colours on the Ventusky web site, and deciding where to go - https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.154;-4.988;10&l=feel&t=20220718/1400 - Portloe is a chilly 23c.

Not forecast to be too bad here in Truro, but I don't like the heat. Sitting with a book in the cathedral sounds cool.

Cathedral idea sounds tip top. Contrary to what the media and some on here would have us believe, we don’t have to stand out under the sun and die. There are other options :)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Cathedral idea sounds tip top. Contrary to what the media and some on here would have us believe, we don’t have to stand out under the sun and die. There are other options :)

Yeah, plenty of old churches around too, with massive stone walls and cold floors. They even leave them unlocked down here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here