Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
He’s not wrong tho is he. If anyone is that worried just go sit in a bath of cold water for 2-3 days.

My daughters school just emailed to say it’s unsafe for the lollipop man to be there on Monday & Tuesday. Sod the 600 kids that need to cross a busy road - one bloke can’t stand outside for 15 mins in a high viz. FFS!

That'll be at what, 8.30 or so in the morning, too. Ridiculous!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have no idea why people are being called out for simply suggesting simple precautions for very unusually hot whether. If you go on holiday to a tropical country as I have many times you expect high temperature and act accordingly. At home with people not used to such heat it's perfectly reasonable for the met office to give advice and warnings. It is not "snowflake" to take advice and sensible precautions.

I suppose it's the wall-to-wall type coverage. Nothing wrong with letting us know it's going to be red-hot, and here's what to do - but maybe not lead with it on every news programme for days. I think that papers like the Express have to take some of the blame, as they are constantly predicting weather that never turns out to be what they scream it will be - so this time around, when we really have got something to be concerned about, it's hard to make it 'look this isn't the normal scaremongering, this is real'.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suppose it's the wall-to-wall type coverage. Nothing wrong with letting us know it's going to be red-hot, and here's what to do - but maybe not lead with it on every news programme for days. I think that papers like the Express have to take some of the blame, as they are constantly predicting weather that never turns out to be what they scream it will be - so this time around, when we really have got something to be concerned about, it's hard to make it 'look this isn't the normal scaremongering, this is real'.

Which in my opinion sums it up nicely.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1548319935142580226[/tweet]

Well everything went swimmingly the last time he skipped COBRA meetings for something so what could possibly go wrong?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s all part of British culture: mind the gap, the end of the escalator is approaching, stay hydrated, this hot drink contains hot liquid etc etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Hilariously enough, I heard it announced like this during a radio stations news broadcast..... " The Met Office have announced a rare Level 4 heat warning for the first time "

The mind boggles.
Illness and death is funny?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I’ve not worked in the commercial world for over 20 years, I’m not sure how to put this but is your attitude the norm these days?

Genuine question.
For office/tech work I think so. Since Covid working from home has been fairly normal for some of the days of every week, so everywhere I know more or less leaves it up to the employees where they want to work from most days. Most people go in for some combination of the Tuesday to Thursday days, but there is plenty of flexibility. I sometimes have been going in on Fridays as that will result in a very empty office and its a good way to get work done and also meet a few people without a lot of distractions.

But if there is likely to be travel disruption - such as the recent train strike - everyone working from home is a normal state.

Back when Southern had their ongoing strike a few years ago I used to stay in hotels in London in order to be there for work. But then I was a consultant and could expense those hotels.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Although bloody hot (I've lived in that part of the world too), England just isn't designed to cope with such heat. 28 here with our insulated housing and sparse amounts of air conditioning can almost be as unbearable as 40 elsewhere.

Surely insulated housing is a good thing as it keep’s the heat out?

What’s missing in the UK is understanding how to keep your house cool in hot weather. When to open and close windows, curtains etc is a dark art that my wife learned when we lived in Athens years back. It’s almost counter intuitive to how we think over here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should be able to get away with a gilet.

[tweet]1548235398538702851[/tweet]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely insulated housing is a good thing as it keep’s the heat out?

What’s missing in the UK is understanding how to keep your house cool in hot weather. When to open and close windows, curtains etc is a dark art that my wife learned when we lived in Athens years back. It’s almost counter intuitive to how we think over here.

Not really due to solar gain. In the winter the cold is outside and the heat source is inside so it works. But in this hot weather, the air in the home is already 20oC the the sunlight heats it up further via objects in the home.
The answer is external shutters which they no doubt have in Athens, as in most of Europe, but we do not have here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really due to solar gain. In the winter the cold is outside and the heat source is inside so it works. But in this hot weather, the air in the home is already 20oC the the sunlight heats it up further via objects in the home.
The answer is external shutters which they no doubt have in Athens, as in most of Europe, but we do not have here.

Pull your curtains.
Don't open windows.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Definitely dangerously hot.

Took only 18 seconds to heat the water for my coffee, normally 20 seconds.

What gives? :eek:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
A recent ruling by the US Supreme Court has sided with coal producing states and companies over greenhouse gas emissions and represents a major setback to the EPA and Biden's climate plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62000742
How depressing. Literally more fuel for the fire. I wonder why the Supreme Court ruled in favour. Obviously will be nothing to do with filthy rich corporate lobbyists. I simply hope when the tsunami hits they’re the first to go (on their private islands)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Then the sun heats up your curtains and they act like a radiator, as they are on the inside, which was precisely my point. It doesn't really matter whether the sun is heating up your curtains, your sofa, or your lover.

In southern Europe, many places have external blinds which extend the whole area of the window to block out all sunshine. Probably a cheaper alternative to external shutters.

Back here in the UK, I wonder if those who have built new, bespoke houses with vast expanses of windows, have really thought it through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here