Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head teacher abused in Croydon school gates smoking row

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
of course i am very much in favour of backing teachers publicly - at least in front of children. the behaviour towards this woman is disgusting.

the request is at first glance polite - reasonable is another thing entirely. she is passive aggressively imposing her will and personal beliefs. its an incredibly frustrating and underhand tactic. and it takes people in, as amply demonstrated here.

Passive aggressively! That's an oxymoron that Spike Milligan would have been proud of! As for her will and personal beliefs, are you challenge generally accepted medical theory that, not only is smoking bad for the smoker but that it also harms those that 'passively' smoke. There are plenty of doctors that smoke but I've not heard of one that doesn't accept that smoking is harmful.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I cannot see how the head could have put the request more politely.

Regardless of the legal or moral opinions offered, abusing her for making a reasonable (in my opinion) request having conceded her lack of legal footing, is intolerable. They really should be ashamed.

The solution of course if to offer 2 gates in/out of the school, so the non-smoking children and their non-smoking parents can walk smoke free from the premises and the "rights above obligations" abusers can huddle at the back door among the smoke and butts and collect their children there!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
apologies for taking this off track a bit and it's purely hypothetical (I promise) but i'm intreged by this 'off school property'/none of her business etc. What if I was standing at the school gate (in the public street) every afternoon at 3pm putting away a can of Special Brew? [EDIT waiting to collect my OWN child!]now providing there was no by law preventing street drinking, I was compus mentus (spelling? you know what I mean) and was causing no harm (i.e keeping my mouth shut) This scenario has the benefit that I'm not "blowing smoke into a four year olds lungs". What would be the outcome here?

If you were a parent the school would probably report you to the social. If not a parent then bushy's answer is correct. I'm not saying it's right before the resident libertarians dive on me but the school would have to be satisfied your were safe to be in charge of your child. I suspect that many on NSC could handle way more than one can of Spesh but I doubt that would come in to their thinking.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do not think one poster has condoned the abuse.

We are not really talking about passive smoking outside of the school are we, surely its the negative role model that smokers might offer those children witnessing it.

Personally as a non smoker, I again support her stance, but I am confident that my children could handle the trauma of seeing others smoke.

If you were a parent the school would probably report you to the social. If not a parent then bushy's answer is correct. I'm not saying it's right before the resident libertarians dive on me but the school would have to be satisfied your were safe to be in charge of your child. I suspect that many on NSC could handle way more than one can of Spesh but I doubt that would come in to their thinking.

exactly, i'd now be under the microscope but the school would "happily" let the child go home to smoke filled living room.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Passive aggressively! That's an oxymoron that Spike Milligan would have been proud of! As for her will and personal beliefs, are you challenge generally accepted medical theory that, not only is smoking bad for the smoker but that it also harms those that 'passively' smoke. There are plenty of doctors that smoke but I've not heard of one that doesn't accept that smoking is harmful.

i have repeated many times on this thread that i am fully aware of the dangers of smoking. got a number of black suits hanging up to bear that out mate.

you dont come close to a coherent argument, what has her will got to do with medical theory? i am criticising her for imposing her will, not for the fact of whether she is right its bad for your health. her argument is one removed from an immediate health issue, rather its a 'bad example'. if you cant follow these points and basically revert to a smokings bad so anything anti smoking is immediately correct standpoint, and struggle with anything more abstract, then this will get even more tedious than it already is very quickly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

We are not really talking about passive smoking outside of the school are we, surely its the negative role model that smokers might offer those children witnessing it.

Personally as a non smoker, I again support her stance, but I am confident that my children could handle the trauma of seeing others smoke.

I'm afraid we could be talking about passive smoking. Not everyone arrives together and therefore people have to walk directly past the smoker(s) to get in to the gates in the first place. You do raise a good point about the klds being able to handle seeing it though. Of course they can. That's not the issue (or not mine anyway). Mine is just how scummy do you have to be that you cannot wait five minutes for a ciggy until you are away from a large group of people that won't appreciate it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
exactly, i'd now be under the microscope but the school would "happily" let the child go home to smoke filled living room.

They'd also let you happily take the kid home if you were sober even if you then downed an 8 pack of Spesh the second you got in.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

bloody hell big gully thank fu ck someone sees this for what it is.

all the amateur rumpoles and anti smoking fundamentalists and think of the children brigade please read big gullys post a couple of times.

if you believe that a currently popular stance on an activity such as smoking in public can be used to make a psuedo-official request from a position of authority, just because you are against that activity and hold an unscientific view that it could influence a child (that smoking may be bad for you is not really open to scientific debate, but believing a child seeing someone smoking in the street may encourage a 4 year old to commence smoking 10 years later, certainly is...), then come out and say it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm afraid we could be talking about passive smoking. Not everyone arrives together and therefore people have to walk directly past the smoker(s) to get in to the gates in the first place. You do raise a good point about the klds being able to handle seeing it though. Of course they can. That's not the issue (or not mine anyway). Mine is just how scummy do you have to be that you cannot wait five minutes for a ciggy until you are away from a large group of people that won't appreciate it?

that is the entire issue, this is why she issued her request. any other debates are tangents.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
A lot of arguing about nothing here, eh?

Everyone is agreeing that she is entitled and probably impelled to ask parents to stop smoking, everyone agrees that there's no law against what the parents are doing, but that their reaction is ridiculous.

Given that everyone also agrees that passive smoking around children is pretty much a bad thing, any parent not complying with her request is a bit of a dick.

This thread looks like a load of people in search of argument to set themselves into a political camp.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A lot of arguing about nothing here, eh?

Everyone is agreeing that she is entitled and probably impelled to ask parents to stop smoking
, everyone agrees that there's no law against what the parents are doing, but that their reaction is ridiculous.

Given that everyone also agrees that passive smoking around children is pretty much a bad thing, any parent not complying with her request is a bit of a dick.

This thread looks like a load of people in search of argument to set themselves into a political camp.

where on earth do you get that from.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
there are two sides to every story, are you suggesting we just stop this here and move on to another thread? If so which one? The World Cup of Chocolate Bars or The Infinite Jukebox?

You're free to do what you like. Thanks for asking though.

I'm not sure what the 2 sides to the story are. She can ask the parents to stand on one foot if she likes. The parents can comply as they deem appropriate. Remind me again of the great controversy here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here