Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head teacher abused in Croydon school gates smoking row

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Passive smoking in open spaces is vastly overplayed by the anti smoking lobbly.

In an enclosed room the dangers are obvious, outside there are more variables involved and as the smoke from a cigarette is dispersed much quicker and goes straight up in the air it doesn't seem like much of a danger to anyone, other than the person smoking it.

Compare that to a car that's pumping burned petrol gasses out the exhaust at a vastly increased rate and it almost makes it a silly argument. I'd love to see a comparison of noxious gasses in ppm that are released by a car and a cigarette.

I'd bet any money that it's more harmful to pick a child up from school in a car than it is to smoke a cigarette. Having a go at smokers is easy because it's fashionable and they're an easy target.

I don't care if people smoke in the street or not, nor if they smoke at the gates of my son's school although I am puzzled how dropping the dog end is exempt from litter laws. I'm not sure she's worried about passive smoking or indeed the action of it being 'seen' by pupils, it's probably more of an image thing, a case that she simply doesn't want the smokers loitering around at the first opportunity. This is in line with the policy a lot of companies have, large office blocks etc insist the employees stand some distance from the main entrance, In these cases the employees don't kick off as they know it'd result in a disciplinary.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Passive smoking in open spaces is vastly overplayed by the anti smoking lobbly.

In an enclosed room the dangers are obvious, outside there are more variables involved and as the smoke from a cigarette is dispersed much quicker and goes straight up in the air it doesn't seem like much of a danger to anyone, other than the person smoking it.

Compare that to a car that's pumping burned petrol gasses out the exhaust at a vastly increased rate and it almost makes it a silly argument. I'd love to see a comparison of noxious gasses in ppm that are released by a car and a cigarette.

I'd bet any money that it's more harmful to pick a child up from school in a car than it is to smoke a cigarette. Having a go at smokers is easy because it's fashionable and they're an easy target.

This issue isn't about passive smoking by the kids as they come out. It's about not letting the kids think that smoking is ok. To all those that smoke, would you prefer it if your kids don't start in the first place or are you perfectly happy to let them smoke?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's about not letting the kids think that smoking is ok. To all those that smoke, would you prefer it if your kids don't start in the first place or are you perfectly happy to let them smoke?

My Dad smoked. I smoke, but my brother never has. My kids (grown up now) don't. What does that prove? Nothing - but I'm sure all the ASH (Anti Smoking Hysteria) fanatics will have a go at twisting that to 'prove' something they'd like to be true.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are the children's health & safety not her business?

I take it in her primary school the children are not allowed to leave the premises until their parents or guardians come into the school grounds to pick them up. The parents do not smoke inside the gates of the school. Maybe these kids should be taken into care.......you know, the ones whose parents smoke.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I take it in her primary school the children are not allowed to leave the premises until their parents or guardians come into the school grounds to pick them up. The parents do not smoke inside the gates of the school. Maybe these kids should be taken into care.......you know, the ones whose parents smoke.

First comment ... that would surely depend how old the child is, a 11 yr old surely would be capable of meeting their parent's/guardian's at the gate's

Second comment... not got a clue what you are on about ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

First comment ... that would surely depend how old the child is, a 11 yr old surely would be capable of meeting their parent's/guardian's at the gate's

Second comment... not got a clue what you are on about ?

Second comment-this .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am pleased that you have firmly been put in your place.

Oh do behave.

"In the spirit of this I would respectfully ask that adults refrain from smoking immediately outside the school as some may see this as setting a bad example."

Jesus .......the kids are going to see grown ups smoking. Do you think I,m advocating that they blow the smoke in the children's faces........ Deary me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh do behave.

"In the spirit of this I would respectfully ask that adults refrain from smoking immediately outside the school as some may see this as setting a bad example."

Jesus .......the kids are going to see grown ups smoking. Do you think I,m advocating that they blow the smoke in the children's faces........ Deary me.

Questions, who is that on your avatar?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This issue isn't about passive smoking by the kids as they come out. It's about not letting the kids think that smoking is ok. To all those that smoke, would you prefer it if your kids don't start in the first place or are you perfectly happy to let them smoke?

I agree that is the overall aim, I just think it's a bit misguided. Kids (and adults) have so many different influences that is almost impossible to single out any one reason as to why we do anything. Kids will not start smoking because they saw adults doing it outside their primary school, they will do it because their peers are doing it at secondary school. The biggest influence on their overall behaviour will be in their own home where school teachers have no control.

The headmistress in this case is incredibly naive IMHO. As a non smoker I agree with the sentiment, but why pick a battle that you can't possibly win? The response from the parents pretty much proves that they're the dregs of society, what good is it going to do not smoking outside school if they're all smoking 40 a day in their house?

She's now lost all credibility and authority because of this, I don't see how it could possibly have been the right thing to do - in principle yes, in reality no.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

It looks like this school would have other issues that you might want to shield children from, even accepting that they are their own parents.

How about those nice tattoos, especially those on your neck, same goes for the men's tattoos !!! similarly piercings and not forgetting the buggies with the fourth sibling screaming ....... she'll be blogging alot this year.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
It looks like this school would have other issues that you might want to shield children from, even accepting that they are their own parents.

How about those nice tattoos, especially those on your neck, same goes for the men's tattoos !!! similarly piercings and not forgetting the buggies with the fourth sibling screaming ....... she'll be blogging alot this year.

Wonder if people with tattoos would then have a tattoo picket line blocking the pavement to the school. ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My Dad smoked. I smoke, but my brother never has. My kids (grown up now) don't. What does that prove? Nothing - but I'm sure all the ASH (Anti Smoking Hysteria) fanatics will have a go at twisting that to 'prove' something they'd like to be true.

You are perfectly correct, your anecdote proves absolutely f*** all.

I agree that is the overall aim, I just think it's a bit misguided. Kids (and adults) have so many different influences that is almost impossible to single out any one reason as to why we do anything. Kids will not start smoking because they saw adults doing it outside their primary school, they will do it because their peers are doing it at secondary school. The biggest influence on their overall behaviour will be in their own home where school teachers have no control.

The headmistress in this case is incredibly naive IMHO. As a non smoker I agree with the sentiment, but why pick a battle that you can't possibly win? The response from the parents pretty much proves that they're the dregs of society, what good is it going to do not smoking outside school if they're all smoking 40 a day in their house?

She's now lost all credibility and authority because of this, I don't see how it could possibly have been the right thing to do - in principle yes, in reality no.

There are plenty of influences and kids seeing smoking as totally acceptable whether that be because some parents freely do it outside the gates, or in their own homes, or even if they saw it in films would make it seem ok to say yes when they are first offered it by their peer group. If Helen Skelton was presenting Blue Peter with a fag in one hand would that be acceptable to the majority of parents. Probably not but then you would have a minority that couldn't see the problem!!!!!

Do you think this is the only issue she is dealing with then? Maybe the attitude of some of the parents is what has contributed to the problems the school has in the first place! Not quite sure what the reference to tattoos is. Plenty of people have them now. Pretty much acceptable in society these days whereas when I was young, pretty much the only people that had tattoos were ex sailors or hells angels!!!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Do you think this is the only issue she is dealing with then? Maybe the attitude of some of the parents is what has contributed to the problems the school has in the first place! Not quite sure what the reference to tattoos is. Plenty of people have them now. Pretty much acceptable in society these days whereas when I was young, pretty much the only people that had tattoos were ex sailors or hells angels!!!!

It's their location ... on their neck ... plus I forgot to say the home made kind .......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here