Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whatever

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
FSA acts on HBOS 'funding problems' rumours
Published Date: 19 March 2008

The City watchdog launched an inquiry into potential stock market abuse today after it said traders had been been profiting from spreading false rumours.
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) warned it would not tolerate traders starting rumours and dealing off the back of them in the current market turmoil.

Halifax Bank of Scotland has reportedly been at the centre of the rumours after its shares plunged amid speculation of funding problems. HBOS strongly denies any such problems.

Sally Dewar, managing director, wholesale and institutional markets at the FSA, said: "There has been a series of completely unfounded rumours about UK financial institutions in the London market over the last few days, sometimes accompanied by short-selling.

"We will not tolerate market participants taking advantage of the current market conditions to commit abuse by spreading false rumours and dealing on the back of them.

"We remind market participants of the need to take extra care, in this market climate, to adhere to the market code of conduct."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Still you know best Afters.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
FSA acts on HBOS 'funding problems' rumours
Published Date: 19 March 2008

The City watchdog launched an inquiry into potential stock market abuse today after it said traders had been been profiting from spreading false rumours.
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) warned it would not tolerate traders starting rumours and dealing off the back of them in the current market turmoil.

Halifax Bank of Scotland has reportedly been at the centre of the rumours after its shares plunged amid speculation of funding problems. HBOS strongly denies any such problems.

Sally Dewar, managing director, wholesale and institutional markets at the FSA, said: "There has been a series of completely unfounded rumours about UK financial institutions in the London market over the last few days, sometimes accompanied by short-selling.

"We will not tolerate market participants taking advantage of the current market conditions to commit abuse by spreading false rumours and dealing on the back of them.

"We remind market participants of the need to take extra care, in this market climate, to adhere to the market code of conduct."

So, where do STOCKBROKERS come into it? not a question of 'who knows best' - just not making up total bollocks

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg
The savers were withdrawing money and running to the hills on the back os scare mongering stories punted about by stockbrokers that is no trade secret even the government and FSA were commenting on it and looking into it.

that's rubbish!

I friend of mine works in a BS opposite the Halifax. They had a very, very busy day yesterday with punters (many with their life savings) bringing funds across the road having withdrawn then from the Halifax.

One old chap had heard all the City gossip and came across with a carrier bag containing £47,000.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Still you know best Afters.

clearly i do. and i quote:

"People saying oh another Bank will take on the mortgage book are woefully incorrect.

Consdiering HBOS have between 25-30% of the UK mortgage book there is not the capacity for other Banks to take on that amount of new mortgages."

Your allegations against "stockbrokers" whatever you believe the term to mean, are equally sensationalised, and dare i say, crap.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair point afters but I think Lloyds Tsb were persuaded to do it with a lot of government backing and sweeteners so its a halfway house.

Quote:
People saying oh another Bank will take on the mortgage book are woefully incorrect.

Consdiering HBOS have between 25-30% of the UK mortgage book there is not the capacity for other Banks to take on that amount of new mortgages.

don't agree, at all.

every financial asset has a potential owner, at the right price. if the portfolio is sold at say 50% are you saying that no financial institution will be interested? of course there will be a buyer.

and your second statement is also wrong. this is a global economy!

and i got my wrist slapped for that post! ho-ho....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Quote:
The savers were withdrawing money and running to the hills on the back os scare mongering stories punted about by stockbrokers that is no trade secret even the government and FSA were commenting on it and looking into it.

that's rubbish!

I friend of mine works in a BS opposite the Halifax. They had a very, very busy day yesterday with punters (many with their life savings) bringing funds across the road having withdrawn then from the Halifax.

One old chap had heard all the City gossip and came across with a carrier bag containing £47,000.

Afters what about this which you totally poo pooed as being rubbish.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Afters what about this which you totally poo pooed as being rubbish.

are you seriously telling me that an old fella with his "life-savings" withdrawn from the halifax caused the collpase of HBOS?

are you seriously telling me that there was a massive run on deposits with people queuing in the streets to remove their cash?

are you seriously telling me that there aren't other fundamental reasons why hbos collapsed that don't involve their cost of funding?

you're a sensationalist gareth, and it simply doesn't wash.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
you really are a f***ing tool

are you seriously telling me that an old fella with his "life-savings" withdrawn from the halifax caused the collpase of HBOS?

are you seriously telling me that there was a massive run on deposits with people queuing in the streets to remove their cash?

are you seriously telling me that there aren't other fundamental reasons why hbos collapsed that don't involve their cost of funding?

you're a sensationalist gareth, and it simply doesn't wash.

f***ing Hell There's More Smears On Here Than In A Gynaecologist's Fingers. And Get His f***ing Name Right. There's No E In Garth.

f***ing Bullies.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It was the low lifes in the City that helped to bring HBOS down. All the experts showed it was adequately funded to weather the storm.
Then the City boys got working on their next bonuses.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
It was the low lifes in the City that helped to bring HBOS down. All the experts showed it was adequately funded to weather the storm.

me and my mate made $80m dollars on the back of it.....

your posts are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Did these "experts" include a mortgage broker from Southwick by any chance? Banks do not go bust because of "stockbrokers" or media stories and rumours.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Indeed, they go bust by the mischief of Hobgolbins and the wizardry of witchdoctors - a fair distance from Southwick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here