Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hbos

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Did these "experts" include a mortgage broker from Southwick by any chance? Banks do not go bust because of "stockbrokers" or media stories and rumours.

No, the primary reason they go bust is fear and lack of confidence, and let me guess who generates most of it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
If you have to ask

a. You're not really in the industry
b. You have no conscience as long as you get your fat profits and bonuses.

oh, on that basis, if you have to make idiotic comments that make f*** all sense then I would like you to explain what they actually mean? ? is that to much to ask?

can you also tell me the definition of 'fat profits' ?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
oh, on that basis, if you have to make idiotic comments that make f*** all sense then I would like you to explain what they actually mean? ? is that to much to ask?

Rather rotund person who predicts future events. Usually with a religous bent.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Apologies, I thought a man of your standing could cope with more than two syllables

"me and my mate made $80m dollars on the back of it....."

If you dont like the insults then lay off rubbing people noses in it. For every pound you make there is someone whos pension has been hit.

If you have to ask

a. You're not really in the industry
b. You have no conscience as long as you get your fat profits and bonuses.

You appear to be posting on the basis of a bitter experience, which cost you money, with "brokers", however I have my doubts that these were actually brokers at all. You complained about poor advice, brokers do not generally give advice at all, they deal based on the instructions that they are given. Brokers also do not generally deal with the public, they are widely used in corporate dealings. I have a feeling that you may have had a shitty experience with an IFA firm and that you now have a negative view of the entire financial services industry. I apologise if I'm wrong, as this is only my opinion based on what you have said. Much like Gareth I think you will inspire people to question your opinions as you demonstrate an enormous lack of knowledge in an area which many people here are actively involved in.

If you dont like the insults then lay off rubbing people noses in it. For every pound you make there is someone whos pension has been hit.

Dwayne posted that, and let's face it even he would admit that he is prone to exaggeration! The other thing with that is when he says his mate made $80M off the back of it he doesn't mean FOR HIMSELF!!! He's dealing on behalf of a financial institution, which means that he's dealing on behalf of potentially millions of individuals investments and PENSIONS! That is the entire point of investment management. Yes, someone has lost out on these deals, but equally many will have gained, and not the "brokers" personally.

For every pound you make there is someone whos pension has been hit.

Without income from the city, government spending over the last 20 years would have been significantly lower than it has been. Imagine what a state the NHS, transport system, emergency services, education, flood defences etc etc would be in now without the cash. And that's not to mention all the related jobs and revenues the city supports, the foreign revenue, raised national profile, this country would be significantly worse off without it. Try thinking before posting, it helps.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
are you seriously telling me that an old fella with his "life-savings" withdrawn from the halifax caused the collpase of HBOS?

are you seriously telling me that there was a massive run on deposits with people queuing in the streets to remove their cash?

are you seriously telling me that there aren't other fundamental reasons why hbos collapsed that don't involve their cost of funding?

you're a sensationalist gareth, and it simply doesn't wash.

£ 1 000 000 000 in savings was withdrawn in the 24 hours before the announcement. The stockbrokers have played a large part in destabalizing the HBOS group and creating an air of panic and no amount of " nothing to do with me Guvs " and denials from the people trading wash.

The traders think they are superior to the likes of me, a menial mortgage broker from Southwick and Uncle C as they earn huge amounts of money, live in much nicer parts of the country than Southwick and drive Porsche Boxsters around the City and Surrey. Because I am a mere mortgage broker my opinion is not as valid as these guys on the floor and no doubt neither myself or Uncle C would have the intelligence to understand the stock market world as they constantly try to beliitle our opinions.

Still if they can make a lot of money on the back of a huge organisation going under and make a quick buck f*** the rest of us whose mortgage and saving choice will be much less.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You appear to be posting on the basis of a bitter experience, which cost you money, with "brokers", however I have my doubts that these were actually brokers at all. You complained about poor advice, brokers do not generally give advice at all, they deal based on the instructions that they are given. Brokers also do not generally deal with the public, they are widely used in corporate dealings. I have a feeling that you may have had a shitty experience with an IFA firm and that you now have a negative view of the entire financial services industry. I apologise if I'm wrong, as this is only my opinion based on what you have said. Much like Gareth I think you will inspire people to question your opinions as you demonstrate an enormous lack of knowledge in an area which many people here are actively involved in.

Sorry my friend. My experience was with Brokers and is currently approaching an FSA enquiry.

My problem is not with the Broking profession per se. Its with the fat cats who cats who swank about in London pubs in the evenings and boast about how much money they have made.

Heres is a little example.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Out of interest, what do you do for a living?

Nothing as great as you Lokki , we could not do your job as you keep telling us time and time and time again. Oh I wish I was more like you. Sigh :down:

Sorry my friend. My experience was with Brokers and is currently approaching an FSA enquiry.

My problem is not with the Broking profession per se. Its with the fat cats who cats who swank about in London pubs in the evenings and boast about how much money they have made.

Heres is a little example.

... for the firm and their investors that employs me."

That's the bit he didn't say.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Apologies, I thought a man of your standing could cope with more than two syllables

wot?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Did these "experts" include a mortgage broker from Southwick by any chance? Banks do not go bust because of "stockbrokers" or media stories and rumours.

Only Southwick, pah, only people on low/middle incomes live there. I however being a huge earner working in the City live in the Surrey Stockbroker belt and am therefore a far better person whose opinion is so much more valid as I live in a large detached house and drive a nice car and go to Monte Carlo for my holidays. Southwick pah :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here