Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you had Covid?

Have you had Covid?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, no I haven't. I have however, been to work as normal all the way through the pandemic and gone to every football match that I can. Travelling by train from Brighton to Falmer and by coach to aways.
I wear a mask on the trains when they are rammed but not in the concourses or in the stands.

Am I just lucky or have the Government and media just hyped this thing up out of all proportion to the reality?

I’d say regarding Omicon:

- the case numbers and its contagious abilities aren’t hyped, it spreads astonishingly easily.

- it might turn out that it causes milder illness, especially on a population with underlying immunity. A little too early to say.

The brilliant Dr Chris Smith said this morning that it looks highly unlikely that the UK will suffer anything like the hospital numbers it saw in April 2020 and January 2021.

His logic - 50,000 daily cases of Delta filled UK hospitals with severely ill hospitals, it hasn’t yet with Omicron.

The worst effect may well be NHS staff off sick with Omicron.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, no I haven't. I have however, been to work as normal all the way through the pandemic and gone to every football match that I can. Travelling by train from Brighton to Falmer and by coach to aways.
I wear a mask on the trains when they are rammed but not in the concourses or in the stands.

Am I just lucky or have the Government and media just hyped this thing up out of all proportion to the reality?

I think this poll would be better if it asked "Do you think you have passed Covid onto somebody else ?"

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s a weird one. Five regularly living in the house. All the under 23s have had it. Wife & I haven’t (not knowingly). Triple jabbed and never had any reaction, nothing. Across my entire 61 years I’ve have had Flu (not the man variety) three times and it put me in bed with full delirium sweats/dreams for 5 days minimum and I’ve also had Pneumonia - which trumped the Flu. Been sensible but in no way a hermit and haven’t had a sniffle for 3 years... that’s ****ed it!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I somehow feel this poll is not a good representation of what has actually happened outside of the Nsc bubble.

Out of just people I communicate with regularly with, it appears to be a 70% have had it 30% have not.

I wonder if this is due to the age of the board??

The BBC have just reported that around 11 million people have tested positive for Covid - around 20% - significantly less than this poll result ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I hardly said that.

It was just an observation, so what's the percentages from your work/social circle???

My apologies. I can be a bit acerbic at times.

Your point about the age profile of NSC members, is - of course - a valid one, but your post came across as though you thought your own anecdotal evidence was more representative than a poll on NSC. This is unlikely.

The poll is not representative of anything except what it is, and that is a poll of NSC members commenting on a Covid thread, who are also willing to take part in a poll about it.
It is inevitably open to all manner of bias, not least because you have to be a member of NSC (so being a Brighton fan is a prerequisite, with a likely local location/upbringing bias, together with NSC gender and age profiles, and probably some less obvious bias also at work. But within those confines, you still get a decent cross-section of society, with participants from a huge range of jobs, professions, firms, industries, levels of education, socio-economic backgrounds etc.

Your own individual evidence (or mine or anyone else's for that matter) of people you communicate with, depends partly on your social media habits. Unless you are a broadcaster, you're going to have to go some to exceed the cross-section that NSC gives. Here's just one example. LinkedIn. One obvious bias is going to be through your work, with many in your cohort working for the same firm and/or in the same industry etc, but there will also be location and education bias. On my LinkedIn profile, the majority of my professional contacts work in IT, because that was the arena I worked in. There's also a decent sprinkling of recruitment agents, a leftover from my contracting days. That limitation doesn't exist on NSC.

D

Deleted member 2719

The BBC have just reported that around 11 million people have tested positive for Covid - around 20% - significantly less than this poll result ???

My apologies. I can be a bit acerbic at times.

Your point about the age profile of NSC members, is - of course - a valid one, but your post came across as though you thought your own anecdotal evidence was more representative than a poll on NSC. This is unlikely.

The poll is not representative of anything except what it is, and that is a poll of NSC members commenting on a Covid thread, who are also willing to take part in a poll about it.
It is inevitably open to all manner of bias, not least because you have to be a member of NSC (so being a Brighton fan is a prerequisite, with a likely local location/upbringing bias, together with NSC gender and age profiles, and probably some less obvious bias also at work. But within those confines, you still get a decent cross-section of society, with participants from a huge range of jobs, professions, firms, industries, levels of education, socio-economic backgrounds etc.

Your own individual evidence (or mine or anyone else's for that matter) of people you communicate with, depends partly on your social media habits. Unless you are a broadcaster, you're going to have to go some to exceed the cross-section that NSC gives. Here's just one example. LinkedIn. One obvious bias is going to be through your work, with many in your cohort working for the same firm and/or in the same industry etc, but there will also be location and education bias. On my LinkedIn profile, the majority of my professional contacts work in IT, because that was the arena I worked in. There's also a decent sprinkling of recruitment agents, a leftover from my contracting days. That limitation doesn't exist on NSC.

See I have kids at school, hence I know all their families and run a youth football team and without doubt of just that cross-section, 90% have had covid. Out of a football squad of 25 there is one that apparently has not had it now!
Some of the families have all had it some families like my own is 50/50.

My point is NSC must not have many members that still have young kids and we must have many that are marooned from society.

So when I look at these figures, I am trying to match my real-world version to NSC real-world version, I still think the country's real-world figures must be pushing 70/30 in favour of having covid.
Okay, they may be quite a few like me that think but don't know for sure that they have had it so say they have not, rather than they have.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s a weird one. Five regularly living in the house. All the under 23s have had it. Wife & I haven’t (not knowingly). Triple jabbed and never had any reaction, nothing. Across my entire 61 years I’ve have had Flu (not the man variety) three times and it put me in bed with full delirium sweats/dreams for 5 days minimum and I’ve also had Pneumonia - which trumped the Flu. Been sensible but in no way a hermit and haven’t had a sniffle for 3 years... that’s ****ed it!

There was some recent research that suggested people who've not had it despite being in very close proximity to those who have may have been protected by T-cells created by previous coronavirus (non-COVID) infections. I suppose it could be that those bouts of flu did you a favour.

EDIT... That would seem to chime with Clapham Gull's experience too.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
My sister in law caught it twice, whilst a patient in the RSCH, being treated for something else.

But this is the problem, 1st time I had all the symptoms but it was the November before we had heard about Covid, 2nd and 3rd time back in May last year spoke to doctors they advise yes I had it and to self isolate which I did, test was negative though. January this year all the symptoms again done 3 tests 1 positive 2 negative.

Luckily for me each time they were mild case's lasting about 3 days each time, although loss of taste and smell the last time it was nearly 2 weeks before they came back. What is the test to see if you have the antibodies in ur system, would be interesting to know if I definitely have had it.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
See I have kids at school, hence I know all their families and run a youth football team and without doubt of just that cross-section, 90% have had covid. Out of a football squad of 25 there is one that apparently has not had it now!
Some of the families have all had it some families like my own is 50/50.

My point is NSC must not have many members that still have young kids and we must have many that are marooned from society.

So when I look at these figures, I am trying to match my real-world version to NSC real-world version, I still think the country's real-world figures must be pushing 70/30 in favour of having covid.
Okay, they may be quite a few like me that think but don't know for sure that they have had it so say they have not, rather than they have.

I have 2 young children 5 and 3. We have all had it.

Everyone we know with kids has had it, everyone I know without kids has not had it.

Make of that what you will.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I read somewhere that because it easily transmissible but only gives mild symptoms that is a good sign that it is killing its self off, anyone know if that's true.
When should we get the full data about the new variant regarding how severe the symptoms are.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
One of the things that got me through getting it the summer was knowing that I would be immune for several months.

But a teacher I know has tested positive twice in less than two months - presumably Delta and now Omicron. Crazy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve tested positive this morning having had my booster last week.

Christmas plans in ruins but fingers crossed, I’m not feeling too poorly at the moment.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I got it last Christmas. A ride in an ambulance and a few days in hospital on oxygen. It is a very nasty illness indeed if it gets you properly. I don't know how I caught it because I was practically under self imposed house arrest at the time. Be careful, everybody.

Same experience here, s[ent last xmas/new year in hospital.

Aince then been double jabbed ans just taken the booster.
Had a nasty reaction to the booster and had a very rough night with the same Covid symptoms I had for the week before I went to hospital
Not a nice flashback.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here