Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has McGhee lost the dressing room?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
You really will settle for second best.

Not much choice give the facilities, budget, choice of players we can afford. Harsh but true imo.

If I could be arsed I'd look up income and expenditure of the bottom half of the table. I think we'd be bottom by some margin on all counts. Hence settling for 2nd best and some of us can even smile about it occasionaly.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Icy Gull said:
Not much choice give the facilities, budget, choice of players we can afford. Harsh but true imo.

All that is true, but we battled and fought under Adams/Coppell and even Taylor, we seemed to have more battle about us, and the VAST majority of fans had the confidence in these guys even when times were bad, they also seemed to be able to attract a better calibre of player. I dont know maybe it was luck that has now just run out, but if a large section of the support and several players have no confidence in the manager, I think that is when we have to realise that this is our worst point since arriving at Withdean.

Over the last 2 months under McGhee I have found personally this to be the bleakest (not the worst by any means) most futile period in the 19 or so years I have been following the club.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rougvie said:
All that is true, but we battled and fought under Adams/Coppell and even Taylor, we seemed to have more battle about us, and the VAST majority of fans had the confidence in these guys even when times were bad, they also seemed to be able to attract a better calibre of player. I dont know maybe it was luck that has now just run out, but if a large section of the support and several players have no confidence in the manager, I think that is when we have to realise that this is our worst point since arriving at Withdean.

Over the last 2 months under McGhee I have found personally this to be the bleakest (not the worst by any means) most futile period in the 19 or so years I have been following the club.

Hard to argue with that except all the others walked.......maybe because they knew they couldn't maintain the progress. Non of them were trying to sustain the level we are at now either. I know the Coppell had to deal with Hinsh's poor spell but he did have us in a position where we could have avoided relegation....if we'd beaten Sheff Weds and Stoke at home and Grimsby away. We didn't though and virtually nobody called for his head, rightly too imo.

I'm not happy but I really don't think we can do any better at the mo, we could do a lot worse, although many don't seem to see the dangers of that? I hope DK holds his nerve and sticks with MM. We will benefit long term, I have no doubts on that,

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Icy Gull said:
I'm not happy but I really don't think we can do any better at the mo, we could do a lot worse, although many don't seem to see the dangers of that? I hope DK holds his nerve and sticks with MM. We will benefit long term, I have no doubts on that,

I have to admire your non stop defense of a manager who in my opinion has never had a side playing attractive positive football, and has always had inconsistent teams, performances and results, I really can't think of anything positive about his management or style. of course we could do worse, and I'm convinced we could do better. and possibly avoid the drop if someothings done swiftly.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dont think he's so much lost the dressing room!

More of a chance he's still undecided which one to use!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Icy Gull said:
Hard to argue with that except all the others walked.......maybe because they knew they couldn't maintain the progress. Non of them were trying to sustain the level we are at now either. I know the Coppell had to deal with Hinsh's poor spell but he did have us in a position where we could have avoided relegation....if we'd beaten Sheff Weds and Stoke at home and Grimsby away. We didn't though and virtually nobody called for his head, rightly too imo.

Nobody called fopr Coppells head because he was on a hiding to nothing. The damage was done at the beginning of the season with the losing 12 game streak. Tables were printed of our form after Christmas and we would have been half way up the table.

Goes to show results at the beginning of the season do matter whatever the great one says.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
zefarelly said:
I have to admire your non stop defense of a manager who in my opinion has never had a side playing attractive positive football,

You didn't go early season then when we were playing the best football for 20 years? Lack of a decent striker meant we couldn't score more than we conceded :(

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
how can it be the best football for 20 years if we keep loosing, or snatching a point from games ? ?

and no I didn't go earlier this season, or later this season either, or much last season for that matter, I'm sure we're not playing as badly as we have done at times in the last 20-30 years but theres absolutely no way we've played better under Magoo

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
zefarelly said:
how can it be the best football for 20 years if we keep loosing, or snatching a point from games ? ?

Because it was good to watch?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Icy Gull said:
You didn't go early season then when we were playing the best football for 20 years? Lack of a decent striker meant we couldn't score more than we conceded :(

I'm sure that we played better football under Chris Catlin and we actually won.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I think as stated earlier the big problem this season has been the constatant playing of players out of position like Ried at left back!?

McGhee obviously thinks hes managing Man Utd! As players at our level of football are not good enough to play in multiple positions!

This is obviously going to upset you if your a recognised left back etc

The other problem is the constant rotation of forwards no one gets a long run in the team to gain confidence and match fitness and its very hard to form an understanding with a fellow striker if your allways playing with someone else!

Im not suprised players have been rubded up the wrong way and its easy to say their profesionals and they should get on with it and they should be proud to wear the blue and white stripes but if you were continually overlooked and given only half chances to demonstrate your abilities at work you would get pissed off and eventually leave.

But to the defence of Mcghee maybe he thinks that whoever he plays it probably wont make much difference and that by shuffling the pack something might by luck present itself to him!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
PILTDOWN MAN said:
I'm sure that we played better football under Chris Catlin and we actually won.

You have a point there. Best football we've played in 19 years then :lolol:

Cattlin was sacked in 1986?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
zefarelly said:

and no I didn't go earlier this season, or later this season either, or much last season for that matter, I'm sure we're not playing as badly as we have done at times in the last 20-30 years but theres absolutely no way we've played better under Magoo

How can you judge the type of football played if you did not go. Anybody who says that McGhee has lost the dressing room should admit that they were wrong after Tuesday. In the second half we dominated possession and played well despite having 10 men for half an hour (thanks to a crap referee). How about the battle we showed last year to survive. Since then we have spent about £250k on transfers (at most) and sold over £2 million worth of players. Anyone who expected any different to a struggle, and quite possibly relegation, should be more realistic.

I also believe that the fans generally support McGhee. There was no evidence of the moaners and whingers on Tuesday. The team were supported throughout the game and even after the defeat they were cheered off. NSC is by no means a fair reflection of Brighton supporters and I believe the majority back Mark McGhee and understand the problems he faces (unlike some on here).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Finchley Seagull said:
Since then we have spent about £250k on transfers (at most) and sold over £2 million worth of players. Anyone who expected any different to a struggle, and quite possibly relegation, should be more realistic.

So did Watford......well ok £1.5m for that fella to Fulham

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Finchley Seagull said:
How can you judge the type of football played if you did not go. Anybody who says that McGhee has lost the dressing room should admit that they were wrong after Tuesday. In the second half we dominated possession and played well despite having 10 men for half an hour (thanks to a crap referee). How about the battle we showed last year to survive. Since then we have spent about £250k on transfers (at most) and sold over £2 million worth of players. Anyone who expected any different to a struggle, and quite possibly relegation, should be more realistic.

I also believe that the fans generally support McGhee. There was no evidence of the moaners and whingers on Tuesday. The team were supported throughout the game and even after the defeat they were cheered off. NSC is by no means a fair reflection of Brighton supporters and I believe the majority back Mark McGhee and understand the problems he faces (unlike some on here).

Away fans rarely moan at the team, as its normally roughly the same 1,000 core that go everywhere.
Its the more casual supporters that complain, but I think they are in the majority.
I know loads of people that are totally pissed off with MM, but admittedly they are not as commited as you and did not go to Norwich, but that doesn't mean that their opinion is not valid.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
n1 gull said:
Away fans rarely moan at the team, as its normally roughly the same 1,000 core that go everywhere.
Its the more casual supporters that complain, but I think they are in the majority.
I know loads of people that are totally pissed off with MM, but admittedly they are not as commited as you and did not go to Norwich, but that doesn't mean that their opinion is not valid.

It is valid but not as valid as the very loyal fans. Surely my view and those of others who went to Norwich are in a better position to judge the way the team are playing than people who watch less. I believe that your and my views are irrelevant anyway as Dick Knight will not sack Mark McGhee and McGhee will not walk away from another club.

Also Withdean is not a fair place to judge. A core of our home fans will always moan e.g. people who wanted Adams sacked after the Kidderminster home game in our Third Division Championship year. They were proved right weren't they?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Nobody called fopr Coppells head because he was on a hiding to nothing. The damage was done at the beginning of the season with the losing 12 game streak. Tables were printed of our form after Christmas and we would have been half way up the table.

Goes to show results at the beginning of the season do matter whatever the great one says.

that will be that same coppell that although we were destined for the drop ( loads of points adrift) managed to get Ingmarrsen and Sidwell on loan? oh yes, what was that argument about players wont come here because we are fighting relegation.

Its cos people do not want to play for mcghee!!!! Especially if he "tosses off players on the team bus" as exposed by Mona.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
A complete fabrication.

you know that for a FACT do you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here