Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has McGhee lost the dressing room?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Charlies, Shinpad, I was merely pointed out the futility of your argument in directly comparing Dean Wilkins' achievements with Stuart Pearce's.

Wilkins does indeed have many of the credentials of being a fine coach. I would have no problem if Deano became our manager one day. It's just that the timing - so many people talking about it being now - would be utterly pointless. Dick Knight has the man in charge he believes will make the team and club a genuine force.

To explain, I am looking at the bigger picture here, much bigger than relegation (though not as big as Falmer).

Notwithstanding the fact that McGhee is not going to be sacked, nor is he likely to resign, speculation on a successor is kind of pointless because McGhee is, for the first time, building his own squad for the future. Unfortunately, there looks to be a price to pay, which is the real threat of relegation, because he cannot finish building this team in time for this relegation fight.

Wilkins has a role in this squad-building, and that is to nurture the youth team along. He has done a fantastic job with that set-up, so what purpose would be served by taking away the main ingredient of a winning combination? The club isn't only about the first-team, it's about a solid structure from top to bottom, including what Wilkins (and Hinshelwood) is doing now.

Is relegation a price worth paying? Some on here obviously say 'no, stay in the Championship at all costs', and while it is not the policy or intention to go down, I believe it will not be the unmitigated disaster many think it could be.

Even Micky Adams had the luxury of taking one and a half seasons to build his squad before he started a title-winning season. We hardly really noticed because we were in such a pisspoor position to start with. He took his time and spent in excess of £200,00 doing it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Charlies Shinpad said:
Bit like saying.why gamble £100,000 on a player who is in Bristol Rovers Reserves then and hope he might come good?

Or £150,000 on an Argy striker who looked good on a DVD then?

Those were all inspired guesswork werent they?
Hardly guesswork with Bobby. He played six games for us before we signed him, and scored six goals, and I reckon everyone knew he was pretty good even from those games. The place was buzzing when the news came through we'd signed him. I remember it very clearly, and being very excited by it.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
Are you really saying McGhee isn't going to keep his job? Do you really want to commit yourself to that? :)

No I am not saying that, and i'm not going all Dwayne here, but sitting in our 'new' corporate hospitality facilities against Leicester the other week, there are quite a lot of 'Friends of the Albion' that dont seem to chuffed with our managers performance.

Remember Irish, its not just the rank and file, and definately not the internet chatters that contribute to the demise of a manager, the sack full of people who are paying a lot of wedge to sit in a portacabin and then see a team get dicked every second week are soon going to stop paying the money.

Saying that the FISH CURRY last week was splendid.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Uncle Buck said:
But the results at the beginning of the season did not matter...

So a point in September is worth less than a point in March - how so?

Edit: now I've read the full thread I see this has already been asked - but not yet answered?

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad said:
Bit like saying.why gamble £100,000 on a player who is in Bristol Rovers Reserves then and hope he might come good?

Or £150,000 on an Argy striker who looked good on a DVD then?

Those were all inspired guesswork werent they?

Rubbish parallels. You can afford the take the odd educated punt on players but not on the manager. That was why Dick Knight had to hold up his hand over Hinshelwood, giving guys with no track record like Wilkins the pressure this club uniquely applies to managers is not on, and Dick Knight should never go down that road again.

McGhee on the other hand has a track record as long as your arm in terms of getting his teams promoted. If you are a smart guy and want to play the odds, you would want to back McGhee, wouldn't you?

Rougvie said:
No I am not saying that, and i'm not going all Dwayne here, but sitting in our 'new' corporate hospitality facilities against Leicester the other week, there are quite a lot of 'Friends of the Albion' that dont seem to chuffed with our managers performance.

Remember Irish, its not just the rank and file, and definately not the internet chatters that contribute to the demise of a manager, the sack full of people who are paying a lot of wedge to sit in a portacabin and then see a team get dicked every second week are soon going to stop paying the money.

I disagree - rich bastards are normal people like everyone else and like to have their moan too just like everyone else. :D This will not cut any ice with those who have to think clearly about the future with a less alcohol-fuelled head than those fellas.

You were wise not to commit yourself to saying McGhee because you know as well as I do that before his job is threatened, we would have to be in a demonstrably worse position than when he arrived.

As we are undergoing major team rebuilding now, McGhee will be given time to finish this job, and that would include a boring midtable season in League 1 next year too, and the fickle fans can moan as much as they want because that's the facts of Albion life.

Congrats on your hob-nobbing by the way, but as you know with McGhee, I'm easily impressed :clap: :clap: :D

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
McGhee is, for the first time, building his own squad for the future.

thats what a lot of people have concerns about.

He has now brought in three strickers who between them haven't scored double figures and spent our main player budget doing it. That is a worry considering he was a forward himself but appears not to be able to spot talent.

i for one am not calling for his head but he does need to buck his ideas up.

as for LI and i quote"And Wikins/Oatway is so pathetic it is not even worth discussing." Firstly is that using pathetic in the right context because i do not consider talking about someones obvious ability to coach such as wilkins as being sad. Discussing the merits of someones abundant skill in the teaching and organisation of players he should be promoted with immediate affect to first team coach. Perhaps then we might have a idea when it comes to set pieces.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If McGhee was to be sacked, and I do not believe that anything would be achieved by doing it now, he should have gone after the cup game vs Coventry. It was rumoured that certain members of the board wanted to do it then but DK won that day.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Yes, with this squad of players, a thousand times yes. And prattle all you want, you know that will be Dick Knight's answer too :wave:

But whinge away and encourage others to do likewise, I know that's what you like doing.

You really will settle for second best.

You probably thought Hinsh was doing a decent job (if you watched us then) and then had to crawl back under your rock when Coppell suddenly got us getting results again.

You have run out of arguments, so are now just backing McGhee at all costs.

Enjoy the corner you are in.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Rubbish - name the year Adams and Coppell kept Brighton in tier 2? Adams has been at the wrong end of the league with both Leicester and Coventry, I dread to think what he would have done with our tiny budget. Coppell may or may not have done better, but in case it's escaped your notice, he f***ed off. Now I stay loyal to good managers who stay loyal to us, you can pine after the Reading and Coventry managers for all the good it will do you.

And Wikins/Oatway is so pathetic it is not even worth discussing.

So to try and prove McGhee is great you are attacking Adams. Well I guess you did not watch us when Adams was incharge, the level of football was not hight enough for someone like you.

Stop now, the hole is getting bigger.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
I think the Great One needs to answer this.

Placky?

You know from the number of posts you make do you actually ever do any work ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
bhaexpress said:
You know from the number of posts you make do you actually ever do any work ?

You are not that far behind him :dunce:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rougvie said:
You are not that far behind him :dunce:

True enough but right now I['m waiting for a new contract to start. Actually I'll be in Crystal Palace country for a few weeks working for rather wealthy cousin who's doing a six week tour of Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
God no.

Trust me, most of you are paying for me to be on here.

Oh no, a civil servent, no wonder you have so much spare time :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here