Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has McGhee lost the dressing room?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Alas for you its still his fault league 1 will be played in next year.

sorry, you've lost me there???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
Not at all, I would take the word of someone who actually works in the industry rather than somone who posts on a message board who claims to be "in the know"

Wouldn't you Sir?
Yes, I would. So, we're at an impasse here. Your source is in the industry, and so is mine.

Yours is an agent, mine is the club itself. Both have an agenda, one's right and one's wrong. Alternatively, both could be right, both could be wrong. :shrug:

But on here, it's being taken as gospel.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Icy Gull said:
So not Magoo's fault as Kinky and his cronies seemed to think. I f***ing love it :lolol:

Correct on your starter for ten. The next three questions are worth 15 points:

Who is thought to be having a gay affair with Will Young and plays for a premiership football Club...allegedly?

Whose footballers wife has been known to phonel his manager and tell him where he should play the morning before a cup final?

What famous footballer caught his JT in his jeans zip and had to drop out of a world cup qualifyer in the 80's?

Answers on a postcard

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The Large One said:
Yep, Des Irae, I do. At least, that is what I have been told by the club, who are in a slightly better position to say than anyone on here.

I admire your childlike innocence in believing “the club” (presumably not players) when they tell you it’s all spiffy.

Having said that, the players are so obviously (and so heartbreakingly) busting a gut every time I see them play that I can’t imagine they don’t believe in McGhee. The problem is a painfully blatant lack of quality in the final third of the pitch. And the reason for that is probably halfway between a lack of funds and McGhee’s tactics/judgement (or lack thereof at times.)

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
Yes, I would. So, we're at an impasse here. Your source is in the industry, and so is mine.

fair enough.....

good to see we can agree to disagree.

that is what sensible debate is all about

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Both came from a lower division where they'd already played with Coppell. One left shortly after joining us, the other pissed off at the end of the season and said he didn't want to play in League1 even for Coppell.

Shall we forget McShane and Henderson loan signings that MM has got this season.

Where this bollocks about people not wanting to play for McGhee comes from I don't know. Do we want players who throw tantrums everytime they are dropped or subbed, playing for us, you might, I don't.

Hang on Sidwell came from Arsenal and Ingarmasson from Wolves. One the league above and one in our league.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Benny Zamora said:
. And the reason for that is probably halfway between a lack of funds and McGhee’s tactics/judgement (or lack thereof at times.)

And coaching ability :angry: :angry: :angry:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Hang on Sidwell came from Arsenal and Ingarmasson from Wolves. One the league above and one in our league.

But they had both playing 1st team footbal in League 1 for Brentford. Coming here was a step up that they were willing to take and did a pretty good job of too.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
did sidwell play for brentford?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
So what.

They came from clubs at the same level or higher than us.

But neither was good enough to get into their respective team. Anyway the original point I was making was that McShane and Henderson are on a par as quality loanees. My retort was to the "No-one wants to play for Magoo" myth.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Finchley Seagull said:
How do you know what McGhee's budget is. Are you Dick Knight? Also in case you have not noticed all other clubs have probably increased their budget and by more than us. You people really do not think before posting rubbish do you?
Well when was the last time an Albion manager had £400k available to spend in the summer?...

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Finchley Seagull said:
I also believe that the fans generally support McGhee. There was no evidence of the moaners and whingers on Tuesday. The team were supported throughout the game and even after the defeat they were cheered off. NSC is by no means a fair reflection of Brighton supporters and I believe the majority back Mark McGhee and understand the problems he faces (unlike some on here).

I think the fans are split 50-50 about whether he should stay or go, I'm basing that on the concensious of those that sit around me at games, my local boozer and the tiny percentage of Albion fans that are on NSC.

What I cant understand about the McGhee 'in' camp is where the line can, if ever be drawn as to the acceptability of a underacheiving manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
But neither was good enough to get into their respective team. Anyway the original point I was making was that McShane and Henderson are on a par as quality loanees. My retort was to the "No-one wants to play for Magoo" myth.

Sidwell at Arsenal I would agree.

Ingarmarson was good enough for Wolves, but whatever reason he did not play. I mean now he is playing in the team top of this league, oh managed by Coppell.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Trigger said:
Well when was the last time an Albion manager had £400k available to spend in the summer?...

and when was the last time one had to replace a quality midfielder, player of the season, the team captain and an England under 21 LB and still have to deal with a child on the pitch having temper tantrums once a month?

There has to be a balance :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
What I cant understand about the McGhee 'in' camp is where the line can, if ever be drawn as to the acceptability of a underacheiving manager.
Depends on what you judge him by. If it's points alone, of course he's not done well. Our all-round team performances do not tell the story regarding our league position. However, that is not what you judge the league position by. It's about banging the goals in, and our players sometimes look terrified to shoot.

But as I said before, I believe he is building a squad for the future based on bringing in the youth team through the system, some shrewd acquisitions (and unfortunately some donkeys and failures as well), and the help of the 'seniors' and backroom staff. Too many players were playing 'in the comfort zone'.

The cost of this transition, however, may well be our place in this division. To some, that is unacceptable, to others, a necessary evil. I believe we will come out of this better and stronger - it may just take another year or so. Of course, if it doesn't work out that way, that's a different matter, innit? In which case, he can walk...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
. It's about banging the goals in, and our players sometimes look terrified to shoot.

If only we had a half decent striker (in his day) as manger this wouldnt be a problem...as he could coach them what to do!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here