Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has McGhee lost the dressing room?

Trigger said:
Well when was the last time an Albion manager had £400k available to spend in the summer?...

I don't know, not McGhee. CKR cost about £50k so far and we will be due to pay a bit more sometime next season when he plays enough games. No one knows what El Turi cost, the figure has never been authoritatively confirmed.

In short, a long way from your £400k fantasy.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
I don't know, not McGhee. CKR cost about £50k so far and we will be due to pay a bit more sometime next season when he plays enough games. No one knows what El Turi cost, the figure has never been authoritatively confirmed.

But they said the 250k had been used in the CKR deal and a 6 figure fee had been paid to Turienzo's agent, so that is at least 350k, so he is only 50k short.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:

I'm not on about what he paid, the fact is he had £250,000 Coke money, six figure sum Argie money which is at least £350,000k at the very lowest.

Rougvie said:
What I cant understand about the McGhee 'in' camp is where the line can, if ever be drawn as to the acceptability of a underacheiving manager.
It's very straightforward, he has to start taking the club backwards from the point where he arrived.

He's a long way in credit at the moment thanks to a fantastic achievement of getting us promoted and keeping us in tier 2 for the first time in 15 years.

He has also having to rebuild the team from virtually scratch as the Adams generation is on its last legs and Coppell and Taylor contributed next to nothng to our long-term rebuilding, and obviously he needs to be given time for that to work just as Adams was. (Incidentally, where you among those barracking for Adams to be sacked at the end of 2000? There were so many it made Argus back page stories and even Adams' programme notes - the kind of fickle fans that McGhee has to now ignore are nothing new).

I hope you understand now and will not ask again.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:

How do you know Steve? Are you in cahoots with The Large One and his "contacts" at the club?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Trigger said:
I'm not on about what he paid, the fact is he had £250,000 Coke money, six figure sum Argie money which is at least £350,000k at the very lowest.

Don't waste your time. The thick paddy never sees anything wrong with the club through his rose-tinted glasses.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
It's very straightforward, he has to start taking the club backwards from the point where he arrived.

He's a long way in credit at the moment thanks to a fantastic achievement of getting us promoted and keeping us in tier 2 for the first time in 15 years.

He has also having to rebuild the team from virtually scratch as the Adams generation is on its last legs and Coppell and Taylor contributed next to nothng to our long-term rebuilding, and obviously he needs to be given time for that to work just as Adams was. (Incidentally, where you among those barracking for Adams to be sacked at the end of 2000? There were so many it made Argus back page stories and even Adams' programme notes - the kind of fickle fans that McGhee has to now ignore are nothing new).

Coppell had left him the free scoring Knight, he had introduced both Harding and Hinshelwood into the first team and Roberts was playing, so he was looking to build.

The issue at the time was 2 of Coppells more senior players were both injured when McGhee arrived and did not play again.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:

He paid 150K for El Turi, I have that on good authority.

Even if he paid 50K for CKR thats still 200K more than several other clubs around us have.

Hold on a minute, where did the REST of the coca-cola money go ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

Why couldnt you have put something like the Large One did??? Makes much more sense. He can ask what he likes. Again and again. if he wants. Surely thats free speech.

The Large One said:
Depends on what you judge him by. If it's points alone, of course he's not done well. Our all-round team performances do not tell the story regarding our league position. However, that is not what you judge the league position by. It's about banging the goals in, and our players sometimes look terrified to shoot.

But as I said before, I believe he is building a squad for the future based on bringing in the youth team through the system, some shrewd acquisitions (and unfortunately some donkeys and failures as well), and the help of the 'seniors' and backroom staff. Too many players were playing 'in the comfort zone'.

The cost of this transition, however, may well be our place in this division. To some, that is unacceptable, to others, a necessary evil. I believe we will come out of this better and stronger - it may just take another year or so. Of course, if it doesn't work out that way, that's a different matter, innit? In which case, he can walk...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:
He paid 150K for El Turi, I have that on good authority.

Even if he paid 50K for CKR thats still 200K more than several other clubs around us have.

Hold on a minute, where did the REST of the coca-cola money go ?

The Black Hole....

Watford spent a few quid in the summer but everyone forgets they raked in £1.5m for that chap they sold to Fulham....Oh and they changed their manager with about FIVE games to go and still stayed up.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:

Yes DAD.

And you wonder why no-one takes you seriously.

Trigger said:
The Coke money was not transfer fees, and you haven't a clue about what McGhee's wages budget is, so stop talking uninformed bollocks that you "know" he has more money to spend than previous managers. He probably has approximately the amount that Peter Taylor was given, which he took one look at it and said the job couldn't be done at tier 2 level on that amount.

The accumulating debts of playing at Withdean and the massive unforeseen Falmer expenditure means we are less in a position to offer McGhee the money he needs than even in previous years. Deal with it and stop whingeing :wave:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
The Coke money was not transfer fees, and you haven't a clue about what McGhee's wages budget is, so stop talking uninformed bollocks that you "know" he has more money to spend than previous managers. He probably has approximately the amount that Peter Taylor was given, which he took one look at it and said the job couldn't be done at tier 2 level on that amount.

The accumulating debts of playing at Withdean and the massive unforeseen Falmer expenditure means we are less in a position to offer McGhee the money he needs than even in previous years. Deal with it and stop whingeing :wave:

Unforeseen Falmer expenditure, well that was 90k, a pain, but not a massive amount, in the scheme of things.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Placcy, you seem VERY bitter and twisted about people who have a different opinion about McGhee than you.

Is it due to my prediction that the growing number of fans not happy with his performance (Im NOT saying want him out) is now rising above the figure that just want us to bimble along regardless.

Your arguements seem to sound more and more childish, bitter and quite frankly desperate.

Rougvie said:
Yes DAD.

And you wonder why no-one takes you seriously.

Why would I want you anti-McGhee rabble to take me seriously? You are systematically undermining/smearing a superb manager and I regard it a mark of achievement that I get endless tiresome personal jibes from you - it shows I'm on the right course. If they ever stopped from you, that's when I'd get worried :lolol:

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Rougvie said:
Placcy, you seem VERY bitter and twisted about people who have a different opinion about McGhee than you.

Is it due to my prediction that the growing number of fans not happy with his performance (Im NOT saying want him out) is now rising above the figure that just want us to bimble along regardless.

Your arguements seem to sound more and more childish, bitter and quite frankly desperate.

It's just his desperate urge to stick-by his celtic boyfriend.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Why would I want you anti-McGhee rabble to take me seriously? You are systematically undermining/smearing a superb manager and I regard it a mark of achievement that I get endless tiresome personal jibes from you - it shows I'm on the right course. If they ever stopped from you, that's when I'd get worried :lolol:

Predictable and patronising

Rougvie said:

That's right and you McGhee-outers are so full of the joys of life. Enjoy stewing in your bitter little juices for a while longer, because the manager I rate is going to be leading the club for a long while yet. You know it, I know it, and that rather pleases me :D

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:

We are not allowed a different opinion or ask questions. You should know this by now.

The fact is that there are a few people (NSC excepted) who are becoming disillusioned - run of the mill AVERAGE fans. Not NSCers not UBER fans, people who support the Albion but probably dont boycott Forfars or read LBs insights into LDC shenanigans etc.

Its the old adage about league tables dont lie. Average fans look at it and go 'were shit'. And you know what they are right.

They are not as 'informed' as NSCers. :salute:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here