Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has CMS really been that much of a flop?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Following on from the thread about it being difficult for a Championship striker to get more than 20 goals, has CMS really been that bad for us?

9 League goals and 10 in total isn't that bad a tally. Ok it's not huge and maybe not what we'd hoped for, but it's certainly not terrible. I remember seeing a thread the other day that linked some site that showed he was pretty high up in the top Championship players, based on various stats.

To look at it another way: if we'd signed CMS for free, i'm sure most of us would have been relatively happy with his goals, considering the effort he puts in and other aspects he brings to the team. I know we didn't sign him on a free, in fact quite the opposite - but does the fee he signed for really matter to us fans? It's not our money, it's Bloom's money so surely he's the only one who should feel aggrieved if he doesn't think CMS was worth the money?

Personally I feel like he came with huge expectations and that is why so many people have written him off at this stage of the season. But I think he's been a pretty good player for us this year and depending on how well we do in the transfer window, I think we could see even more from him next year.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Absolutely incredible thread.

By your logic, if we signed Ronaldo for £90 million and he only scored 9, only Tony Bloom should be aggrieved, and we should all be happy.

For goodness sake, ADAM VIRGO got 9 goals last time we stayed up in this league, and he was a centre back!!

CMS is great to watch, 99% of supporters love to see someone just run their arse into the ground for the team. And yeah, he seems a nice bloke too. But he alone has cost more than any other Brighton team PUT TOGETHER. For the clubs record signing, he's been a HUGE flop.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He has done ok, but his limitations have been exposed. 6/10 for the season.

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
Granted he hasn't scored as much as we were hoping him to, but I think he has been a positive member of the team. His work ethic is second to none. I would like to see some more goals from him, but all in all I am content with his performance this season.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
spot on, he is a great player but he hasnt had a great season, at peterborough the team revolved around him, hes no fernado torres*, my son has just voted cms for player of the season.

Flop is a bit harsh but I see where you're coming from.

His goals to game ratio are not all that great, especialy for a 2.5m striker but his workrate for the team in breaking down opponents attacks are better than anyone else I've seen in the stripes, who knows how many goals they may have scored from these.

I am certain he will come good.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I'd expect him to get at least fifteen, nevertheless I expect next season Gus will play more to his strengths and he will get a load.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You can't just lump every player into the success or flop categories, life isn't like that, it isn't just black and white.

Also, the fact that he's our record signing it doesn't make any difference. That won't be a one off, the club is making more money than it ever has so spending that much isn't a problem anymore. We can afford to spend £3m on a player who isn't the world beater we all hoped for, but is merely a decent player who works hard for the team.

I've no doubt that in the summer we will spend £2m+ at least a couple of times and suddenly the CMS money won't seem quite so drastic.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We over paid for a 28 year old given his previous record (one really good season in League 1). I understand from a box holder at Peterborough that he is a nice guy who looks for and benefits from compliments and things going well. She considered his worth between 1 and 2 million which is where I put it. He would likely look better in a teams such as Reading and Blackpool which appear to routinely play more flowing football than we do at the moment. He is not a clinical finisher (not so clinical as Barnes say) and never will be. I go with the 6/10 overall for the year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am disappointed with his goals tally as I feel that he has missed far to many chances that I would have expected him to have buried. The price we paid has no bearing on his value to us as supporters it just raised our expectations and was a reflection on how much Peterborough, TB & Gus valued him.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'd like to point out that flop isn't my word - it's one I've seen thrown around a fair few times on this forum to describe him.

I do think that it's just because we're not used to seeing such large fees paid for a player. £2-3 million isn't really that much at this level in the grand scheme of things.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Massive Flop imo. £3.5million for a very average player is embarrassing more than anything. We were mugged

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the euphoria of signing him when West Ham and Leicester were also interested and that he was Gus's main target in the summer, both CMS and Gus's efforts to build a team round him have both been underwhelming imo. Good player, crowd pleaser and all round nice guy but not, on the evidence of my eyes, a 3.5 million pound striker.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is all about his fee isn't,t it. 500k or even a mill and we would have been pleased but 2.5m ? The return is not quite good enough? Mind you next season could see him net 20 or so. All is not lost on the lad yet and there is absolutely no reason to think of offloading him unless Reading did come back with silly money.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Why do people keep saying he cost £2.5 million, That was just the down payment, that will rise to £3.5million. We could have got Maynard, Sharp, Rhodes for that. CMS is a trier and you cant fault him for his energy levels, but apart from running around a lot there is absolutely nothing to his game. I think we should flog him in the summer and get a the striker we need

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not a flop, just hasnt had the season expected and im sure that he probably knows it too. Still he has 9 goals at the moment, if he had none (ala Barndoor Billy) then he most certainly would be a flop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here