Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has CMS really been that much of a flop?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Brilliant league 1 player

Avearge championship player

With a different system he would look better but IMHO 15 a season would be good going from CMS at this level. Just not a clinical finisher.

Gus's two big signings up front this season have strugled. Hoskins is now out on loan at Sheff UTD and warms the bench, he cost us £500k

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For me, CMS is one of the three players we have who i grow excited by, unfnarrishly, mostly, when the ball heads toward them. Lua Lua, when he comes off of the bench, and Vicente, are the other two. His workrate is exceptional and i am immediately thrilled when he charges about, imagining as he goes the the doglike tongue flopping around out of his eager mouth, accompanied by the perverted heavy breathing that must terrorise and disturb defenders.
I wouldn't class him as a flop at all. I love the guy and admire what he offers. A bulkier squad next year with enough strength and height to clear the line should have CMS as the main front-man again and ideally banging them in. He has the talent and the nerve and if i were ever to father i'd encourage my bairn to look to play like him, or Vicente if they had magic-dust feet.

brightoon

Jun 13, 2011
Ive seen Jordan Rhodes mentioned a lot on this thread. Just wondering if this is the same Jordan Rhodes who was flogged off by Ipswich because he didnt make the grade ?. A lot of people on here keep saying that we have over acheived this season and should be patient, and then in the very next breath criticise someone in their first season with a club. Think we all need to take a step back and realise that all the players and staff deserve a pat on the back for this season. The time to question what going on will be in 12 months from now.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ive seen Jordan Rhodes mentioned a lot on this thread. Just wondering if this is the same Jordan Rhodes who was flogged off by Ipswich because he didnt make the grade ?

He was a kid. He clearly has HUGE potential.

IMHO, strikers will always be judged on goals. So sadly, yes, he (CMS) has been a flop. Of course, we know a different story, but given he has scored less than the cackfooted but willing Barnes, his season will always go down as something of a flop.

My only real 'beef' with all this is that i think we spent way too much. Now, it might be that this is just a sign of how much TB has to spend, and i suspect it is. But to spend so much money on a player and not at least try and get the best out of him seems criminal.

I guess things will be clearer this time next season.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
TBH he hasn't scored the goals we would have hoped for, BUT of all our strikers he's easily got the best movement, occasional moments of skill, his control isn't great, lets him down sometimes or often maybe but with a few more signings up front could be a great player for us still. Im hoping we will sign another striker in the summer with a bit more about him, more ability in terms of touch, control, vision, passing and then i think we will see better of CMS. I do think Barnes isnt up to it, nor vokes, they've just not got the all round game, someone needs to be signed off a higher level than those two

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
For me, CMS is one of the three players we have who i grow excited by, unfnarrishly, mostly, when the ball heads toward them. Lua Lua, when he comes off of the bench, and Vicente, are the other two. His workrate is exceptional and i am immediately thrilled when he charges about, imagining as he goes the the doglike tongue flopping around out of his eager mouth, accompanied by the perverted heavy breathing that must terrorise and disturb defenders.
I wouldn't class him as a flop at all. I love the guy and admire what he offers. A bulkier squad next year with enough strength and height to clear the line should have CMS as the main front-man again and ideally banging them in. He has the talent and the nerve and if i were ever to father i'd encourage my bairn to look to play like him, or Vicente if they had magic-dust feet.
Difficult call. On one hand I competely agree with that assessment.

On the other hand you look at the system he is a flop. He's not a player to play as a lone striker.

Speaking to an Everton fan, and they had exactly the same thing with Louis Saha and a lesser extent Yakubu

Louis Saha for Everton as an insolated forward 2 goals in 20. For Tottenham 4 in 10

Yakubu, isolated for Everton 12 in 35. For Blackburn 15 in 27 for a struggling side.

So I think its very harsh for anyone to suggest CMS is a flop, unless we are willing to play to his strengths, and we are not.

Another old cliche that people love to repeat is he struggled to score for Peterbrough at this level.

Yes, but Peterbrough struggled. We aren't struggling, so his goal tally should be higher, but if you are going to play a forward to thrives with a partner as a lone striker, I don't see how anyone can label him a flop when it doesn't work out.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
TBH he hasn't scored the goals we would have hoped for, BUT of all our strikers he's easily got the best movement, occasional moments of skill, his control isn't great, lets him down sometimes or often maybe but with a few more signings up front could be a great player for us still. Im hoping we will sign another striker in the summer with a bit more about him, more ability in terms of touch, control, vision, passing and then i think we will see better of CMS. I do think Barnes isnt up to it, nor vokes, they've just not got the all round game, someone needs to be signed off a higher level than those two
I think thats also an excellent assessment

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Personally I have been quite happy with CMS performance this season. A little more confidence on his behalf and I think he could easily have had 3-5 more goals.

I just wonder if the impossible happens and we get to the play off final and CMS scores the winner if we will think he was a bit of a bargain after all? Well I can dream, can't I?

UTA

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Dado Prso 8 in 47 for Hadjuk Split, yet 50 in 108 for Rangers
Fernando Morientes 8 in 41 for Liverpool, yet 72 in 180 for real Madrid
Andrei Shevchenko 9 in 48 for Chelski, yet 21 in 47 for Dynamo Kiev
Andy Carroll Only 5 in 37 for Liverpool, yet 31 in 80 for the Toon

Football is littered with good players who for some reason are prolific at one club, yet run dry at another. Who knows why? They can't all be flops, shirley?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Rhodes is a natural Finisher, CMS is not.... Clearly. Also Rhodes has time on his side.
I'm sorry but that's tosh,cms scored 34ish goals last season for posh in league 1 and cups,so if that's not a goal scorer what is?
How do you know that Rhodes is a championship goal scorer?

CMS is a goalscorer end of as the last few years stats shows he has been one of the most prolific strikers in England ,many clubs would love to have him.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I'm sorry but that's tosh,cms scored 34ish goals last season for posh in league 1 and cups,so if that's not a goal scorer what is?

CMS is a goalscorer end of as the last few years stats shows he has been one of the most prolific strikers in England ,many clubs would love to have him.

Too true, i just think all we need is not necessarily a striker up top whos big like vokes but someone with a bit of skill and ability about him alongside, to play in his runs and hey presto i think we'd see so much better of him straight away. Barnes cannot pass, full stop, vokes does not have the all round game either, full stop. We need to make another quality signing up top and potentially have a much better season next year. And keep Vicente please, and play KLL all the time, and Buckley, gotta think of the generaL ability and skill of the attacking players. Gus has been too negative, too simplistic in the attacking areas imo, we could have SUCH a good attacking side with one or two more signings + fielding the few players with GENUINE ability like KLL and Buckley

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why do people keep saying he cost £2.5 million, That was just the down payment, that will rise to £3.5million. We could have got Maynard, Sharp, Rhodes for that. CMS is a trier and you cant fault him for his energy levels, but apart from running around a lot there is absolutely nothing to his game. I think we should flog him in the summer and get a the striker we need

Because the fee is £2.5 million plus add ons conditional on goals and promotion, there is no certainty that either will be achieved.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I'm sure that getting in the Scotland side bumped it up a bit, We are safe on the goal side of things

I really do think we will easily get a lot more out of the guy with a few more signings, just be patient. I might annoy some people but imo Barnes aint up to it, nor vokes. I too have felt frustrated with cms, at times, but i can see the potential next season with the right signings

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Prolific in League 1, yes.

Prolific in CCC, no.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bit of an expensive nuisance though. I understand what you are saying, but i have to look at it on the basis of what he cost us. Put it this way, he cost us 3 Will Buckley's and a Will Hoskins. Both of of them are much better players than CMS imo

Hoskins can't be used as a comparison as for all we know he could of played all season and only scored twice. However I can't fault the Buckley argument!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Prolific in League 1, yes.

Prolific in CCC, no.
Who is prolific in the championship bar lambert?my point was that Rhodes was mentioned even though he's done sod all in the championship.Most strikers who score 15 goals a season are very expensive to buy,Maynard and sharp hardly ever score 15 a season but they are seen as quality strikers.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To use an American Footballism, he was brought in as the Franchise player. This hasn't quite happened (especially with Vicente signing) and he seems to have lost confidence in front of goal.

In his defence his work rate is superb and he never moans but for several million quid you probably expect more.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Who is prolific in the championship bar lambert?my point was that Rhodes was mentioned even though he's done sod all in the championship.Most strikers who score 15 goals a season are very expensive to buy,Maynard and sharp hardly ever score 15 a season but they are seen as quality strikers.

For sure we will have to pay good money for someone up front but its priceless isnt it. Next season i just want to see the ball going foward and not breaking down because the strikers cant pass amognst themselves. I dont know who that player is with the skill to see passes, control balls knocked up to them etc But that striker + solid central midfielder with an allround game + playing KLL and BUCKLEY will see us in the play offs i think

Runs around a lot, gives 100 percent, waves to the crowd and people like him, BUT has had two seasons in the championship scoring 10 goals or so each time. His finishing at this level has to be questioned. Some will question the service given to him.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I understand what you are saying, but i have to look at it on the basis of what he cost us. Put it this way, he cost us 3 Will Buckley's and a Will Hoskins. Both of of them are much better players than CMS imo

I agree with you about Buckley. Claiming Hoskins is a much better player, on the other hand, is laughable. What have you seen of him this season that suggests he is so much better that Mackail Smith? Or are you just basing it on his performances/reviews from last season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here