Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has CMS really been that much of a flop?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
On the face of it a flop.
We were mugged and paid far too much for him.
Yes,we haven't always played to his strengths and I remember Gus saying we were going to build the team around CMS.Well,that clearly hasn't happened and our £2.5+ m. striker even finds himself on the bench and is not an automatic pick.
A disappointment,yes but let us hope we can get the best out of him next season, if he doesn't go this summer.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He's a percengtage player.

Chases lost causes, balls into the channels and closes down the defenders.

We do not play a percentage game (knocking the ball into channels and pumping the ball into box).

With Gus as the manager it is unlikely we will play in a way which complements his style.

What we need is a clinical finisher and someone who can play with their back to goal.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ive seen Jordan Rhodes mentioned a lot on this thread. Just wondering if this is the same Jordan Rhodes who was flogged off by Ipswich because he didnt make the grade ?. A lot of people on here keep saying that we have over acheived this season and should be patient, and then in the very next breath criticise someone in their first season with a club. Think we all need to take a step back and realise that all the players and staff deserve a pat on the back for this season. The time to question what going on will be in 12 months from now.

You are cock on! I would have thought people would have learnt from wanting a third division striker after the disaster CMS has been. We need a striker who has a proven goal scoring record in this division. Not some bloke who has scored goals in the Turbo Shandie league division 7! If you are paying the sort of money we did for CMS then I don't think it's too much to ask!

I don't understand the amount of criticism directed at CMS. Yes we have maybe payed £500,000 more than we should of and his first touch in particular is pretty poor at times yet watching him play in League One for a few years Im sure a few people including Gus already knew this before purchasing him. Fact is, we have made pretty much ZERO attempt to build the team around him. CMS is very, very good at playing to his strengths. He will play off the shoulder of a defender and feed off through balls, scraps etc. If Gus wanted to build a team around him then he should of had players either doing this or a midfielder capable of playing centrally, ala Vicente, to do this. The amount of times he has looked to make a run across the defence and bloody Greer, Navarro etc have gone SIDEWAYS is criminal. Yes the way we play involves a lot of taking care of the ball but dont buy a striker who is damn good at feeding off direct passes through the middle.

We COULD build a team around the lad and be very successfull in doing so however I think It will take a full pre-season to attempt this. He could certainly play up front on his own but needs a George Boyd type player and more confidence from Greer etc to be effective. One of the reasons I struggled to understand Barnes in that defensive role Gus had him in was that it left CMS to constantly come 30-40 yards from the opposing goal, direct ball-less, to receive the ball and start attacking moves, in which he was very good at may I add. Im sure a great deal was put into moulding and shaping a team around him however it just hasnt worked. We are maybe one midfielder in the ilk of Razak away from byuilding a team around him.

NEXT SEASON!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Smith plays for his country and cannot be blamed for what he cost,he has been let down by his manager who signed a number of very promising wingers but then left most of them on the bench.
I would not be surprised if he wants to get away at the end of the season, to save his International status.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Runs around a lot, gives 100 percent, waves to the crowd and people like him, BUT has had two seasons in the championship scoring 10 goals or so each time. His finishing at this level has to be questioned. Some will question the service given to him.
Thats a strange post. Take it you dont like him then!

How can you question his finishing. Surely a strikers finishing isn't going to change level to level.

His positioning, build up play, the way he plays defenders could be questioned, but finishing is surely shooting, and that would be the same apart from slightly better keepers to shot against?

First season in the championship he was with a strugglying side.

This season he hasn't really fitted the system.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't understand the amount of criticism directed at CMS. Yes we have maybe payed £500,000 more than we should of and his first touch in particular is pretty poor at times yet watching him play in League One for a few years Im sure a few people including Gus already knew this before purchasing him. Fact is, we have made pretty much ZERO attempt to build the team around him. CMS is very, very good at playing to his strengths. He will play off the shoulder of a defender and feed off through balls, scraps etc. If Gus wanted to build a team around him then he should of had players either doing this or a midfielder capable of playing centrally, ala Vicente, to do this. The amount of times he has looked to make a run across the defence and bloody Greer, Navarro etc have gone SIDEWAYS is criminal. Yes the way we play involves a lot of taking care of the ball but dont buy a striker who is damn good at feeding off direct passes through the middle.

We COULD build a team around the lad and be very successfull in doing so however I think It will take a full pre-season to attempt this. He could certainly play up front on his own but needs a George Boyd type player and more confidence from Greer etc to be effective. One of the reasons I struggled to understand Barnes in that defensive role Gus had him in was that it left CMS to constantly come 30-40 yards from the opposing goal, direct ball-less, to receive the ball and start attacking moves, in which he was very good at may I add. Im sure a great deal was put into moulding and shaping a team around him however it just hasnt worked. We are maybe one midfielder in the ilk of Razak away from byuilding a team around him.

NEXT SEASON!
:clap: :clap:

NEXT SEASON!

Good stuff - got to stick with CMS.

For those who are worried about the money aspect just think of the bargain we got in Buckley. Swings and roundabouts where money is concerned.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
Personally I think CMS will come good next season. It takes most players a season to settle in and custom to the club, players, area. He's having his settling in period. Next season and I expect he'll be banging them in. How many players do you know who join a club and instantly hit off, Ok you might have the odd one but the Majority take time to bed in.

He'll come good, just need to be patience.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
When I looked at the Peterborough video, I almost thought it was a different player. Somehow he has lost his confidence to use his left foot which makes him a shade predictable. It is not that he is unable to. A hell of a lot less space is given to strikers by Championship defenders and Reading are mean.

However, if he played deeper he might be more useful. I would play him with Ashley Barnes though and they could take turns at dropping deep and being the front man.

What about Vokes? I think he is the best defender of the three. Agdestein: I could see him coming on as sub for Macca, if Macca does not get back to form.

Vokes is a great player.

Chin Strain

Oct 21, 2011
On the bus
You are cock on! I would have thought people would have learnt from wanting a third division striker after the disaster CMS has been. We need a striker who has a proven goal scoring record in this division. Not some bloke who has scored goals in the Turbo Shandie league division 7! If you are paying the sort of money we did for CMS then I don't think it's too much to ask!

To be fair though, you could argue that there is a certain 'third division striker' who had previously never played any higher than that, despite being 29, and is currently doing pretty well in the NPC.

The art of picking a good lower league striker is in the scouting, and whether there's confidence that the coaching staff can improve the player. I thought CMS would be a great addition for Brighton but, after the game at SMS, I wondered whether Poyet had spent a load of money on a player who didn't fit into his system. That was based on one game at the time, and I've only seen him a few times since, but maybe it's the system and not the player.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Personally I think CMS will come good next season. It takes most players a season to settle in and custom to the club, players, area. He's having his settling in period. Next season and I expect he'll be banging them in. How many players do you know who join a club and instantly hit off, Ok you might have the odd one but the Majority take time to bed in.

He'll come good, just need to be patience.

It's never going to work out with CMS whilst Gus is our Manager. Would not surprise me if he never scored for us again.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's never going to work out with CMS whilst Gus is our Manager. Would not surprise me if he never scored for us again.

I've said it before and I'll say again, this situation is uncannily like Carroll at Liverpool. Essentially, why spend a vast amount of money on a marquee signing striker and then make absolutely no effort to adjust your teams style to accommodate? Surely if we aren't going to adapt for him, we should have tried to sign someone who we don't need to change for?

Personally, to me CMS has been neither a success nor a failure. He's had an average if slightly disappointing season in a team that has done virtually nothing to support him. However, I also think CMS has struggled to adapt to our style.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Scored about the same number of goals as Suarez & I'm not hearing many people calling Suarez a flop.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I've seen Brighton about 5 times this season and whilst often he has been absent (not literally) he seemed quality early in the season, especially against Leeds.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Zamora only scored 14 goals. Hes not a shabby player is he.

D

Deleted member 22389

I love CMS determination. Because even when there is absolutely no chance of getting the ball, he will run and run. And law of averages, one player will panic make a mistake and the ball will be at his feet in front of the goal, and hope its tonight.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I haven't called him a flop. 6/10 to me says he has done okay, but not set the world on fire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here