Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has CMS really been that much of a flop?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Not a flop, just hasnt had the season expected and im sure that he probably knows it too. Still he has 9 goals at the moment, if he had none (ala Barndoor Billy) then he most certainly would be a flop.

Barn door Billy was on loan, we could send him back. If only Peterborough had a returns policy

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Why do people keep saying he cost £2.5 million, That was just the down payment, that will rise to £3.5million. We could have got Maynard, Sharp, Rhodes for that. CMS is a trier and you cant fault him for his energy levels, but apart from running around a lot there is absolutely nothing to his game. I think we should flog him in the summer and get a the striker we need

If Jordan Rhodes is available for £3.5m lets have him, unfortunately he will go for more than that?!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Barn door Billy was on loan, we could send him back. If only Peterborough had a returns policy

And if they did, id still keep CMS. Hes a key first team player, even though he isnt scoring he still puts the effort in and at the end of another frustrating game in which he hasnt scored, he still goes over and applauds the fans - id only want him to go if we received a good offer for him.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Flop is a bit strong, start of the season on NSC he was rated 8's and 9's week in week out. His work rate is second to none but Gus signed him as a goal scorer and his finishing sadly isn't the best.

You could argue we don't give him the service but he has missed a few when Ashley Barnes seems to be a bit more clinical in front of goal.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
And if they did, id still keep CMS. Hes a key first team player, even though he isnt scoring he still puts the effort in and at the end of another frustrating game in which he hasnt scored, he still goes over and applauds the fans - id only want him to go if we received a good offer for him.

Well as long as he keeps applauding the fans we should keep him :facepalm:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My simple take on CMS is this, yes his goal return is not fantastic but I would much rather have him in the team than not. He is a real nuisance for defenders and that is well worth having. Simples.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well as long as he keeps applauding the fans we should keep him :facepalm:

No, im just saying he has the right attitude and isnt showing hes pissed off with his goal drought. Cant see who else we could get for 3.5 Million, Rhodes is a bit like CMS - in League 1 with a great scoring record, im sure if we signed him and he scored 9 goals you would be pissed at that too. That and Rhodes would be at least 5 Million.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
My simple take on CMS is this, yes his goal return is not fantastic but I would much rather have him in the team than not. He is a real nuisance for defenders and that is well worth having. Simples.

Bit of an expensive nuisance though. I understand what you are saying, but i have to look at it on the basis of what he cost us. Put it this way, he cost us 3 Will Buckley's and a Will Hoskins. Both of of them are much better players than CMS imo

Last edited:

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
No, im just saying he has the right attitude and isnt showing hes pissed off with his goal drought. Cant see who else we could get for 3.5 Million, Rhodes is a bit like CMS - in League 1 with a great scoring record, im sure if we signed him and he scored 9 goals you would be pissed at that too. That and Rhodes would be at least 5 Million.

Rhodes is a natural Finisher, CMS is not.... Clearly. Also Rhodes has time on his side.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why do people keep saying he cost £2.5 million, That was just the down payment, that will rise to £3.5million.

It won't rise very much because he hasn't scored enough GOALS.

2.5 million, maybe a little bit more for appearances, and a further fee if we go up. And if we somehow manage that, nobody will give a toss that our record signing was a failure

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
It won't rise very much because he hasn't scored enough GOALS.

2.5 million, maybe a little bit more for appearances, and a further fee if we go up. And if we somehow manage that, nobody will give a toss that our record signing was a failure

I'm sure that getting in the Scotland side bumped it up a bit, We are safe on the goal side of things

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd imagine he's feeling a bit disappointed with his goal return. I admire his work rate but I don't believe our system suits his style.
Its a shame, he's a likeable fellow, but sometimes these things don't work out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
spot on, he is a great player but he hasnt had a great season, at peterborough the team revolved around him, hes no fernado torres*, my son has just voted cms for player of the season.

When I looked at the Peterborough video, I almost thought it was a different player. Somehow he has lost his confidence to use his left foot which makes him a shade predictable. It is not that he is unable to. A hell of a lot less space is given to strikers by Championship defenders and Reading are mean.

However, if he played deeper he might be more useful. I would play him with Ashley Barnes though and they could take turns at dropping deep and being the front man.

What about Vokes? I think he is the best defender of the three. Agdestein: I could see him coming on as sub for Macca, if Macca does not get back to form.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why do people keep saying he cost £2.5 million, That was just the down payment, that will rise to £3.5million. We could have got Maynard, Sharp, Rhodes for that. CMS is a trier and you cant fault him for his energy levels, but apart from running around a lot there is absolutely nothing to his game. I think we should flog him in the summer and get a the striker we need
The likes of sharp and Maynard are injury prone,look at there goal scoring stats and you will be bloody surprised I can assure you.Its clear our style of football is the problem as he doesn't get that many chances,let's face it he was super prolific in league 1 and scored 10 in a poor Peterborough side in the championship.He is in my opinion a great all round player and is an asset,give him the right players around him and he will succeed,he's a fast passer and a player who loves to do things fast,we are not playing to that speed at the moment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Following on from the thread about it being difficult for a Championship striker to get more than 20 goals, has CMS really been that bad for us?

9 League goals and 10 in total isn't that bad a tally. Ok it's not huge and maybe not what we'd hoped for, but it's certainly not terrible. I remember seeing a thread the other day that linked some site that showed he was pretty high up in the top Championship players, based on various stats.

To look at it another way: if we'd signed CMS for free, i'm sure most of us would have been relatively happy with his goals, considering the effort he puts in and other aspects he brings to the team. I know we didn't sign him on a free, in fact quite the opposite - but does the fee he signed for really matter to us fans? It's not our money, it's Bloom's money so surely he's the only one who should feel aggrieved if he doesn't think CMS was worth the money?

Personally I feel like he came with huge expectations and that is why so many people have written him off at this stage of the season. But I think he's been a pretty good player for us this year and depending on how well we do in the transfer window, I think we could see even more from him next year.

Yes. An out an out high goal striker, bought for a lot of money, has seldom scored, and has missed plenty of chances and half chances. Not a natural footballer or finisher.

Work rate in closing down defenders with the ball, for £2.5+, was not worth it.

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
workrate 10/10 cant doubt is commitment to the team

goal ratio 4/10 should be converting more chances missed to many could explode into life next season

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Given the euphoria of signing him when West Ham and Leicester were also interested and that he was Gus's main target in the summer, both CMS and Gus's efforts to build a team round him have both been underwhelming imo. Good player, crowd pleaser and all round nice guy but not, on the evidence of my eyes, a 3.5 million pound striker.

I think this is spot on. Not worth a million based on what he's done for us this season, let alone 3 million.

He obviously does know how to score goals so I guess he can only get better. Probably all about finding the right partner for him which we clearly have not this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here