Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty can you please explain to me what a window licker is?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
He's told women callers to "get back to their knitting", or some such. He's referred to Arabs as "people with towels on their heads". And on here, we get touching little tributes to the bigotry of Bernard Manning and Love Thy Neighbour.

The LEAST one can do is not listen.

He does grudgingly apologise every time though :D

Certainly gets a lot of posters and people viewing. Nicky Cambell on the radio this morning responding to a Harry Enfield sketch that got complaints last night, stated that Bernard Manning and Jimmy Carr used the same humour/gags but only one gets hounded, I think perhaps irony and style seperates them just a tad!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Storm In A Teacup - Grow Up Folks

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
FFS!!! i've heard far worse on here, but dont here u calling for those heads to roll...i know now why i dont come on here so much.
Leave the man alone..Harty is BRIGHTON through and through and as my friend Ernest said there probably woudn't be a club if it wasn't for 'gulls eye'

The man HAS apologised so.......

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Someone describing differently abled people like that needs to look long and hard at themselves. I'm sure it wasn't
premeditated but still it's very offensive.
At the very least an apology for causing this amount of upset and distress should be the order of the day.
Crass though it is, I'm sure it wasn't done
knowingly nor maliciously. Harty can be a little bit rude sometimes
And that's the nature of the job. It could be worse, it could be
subliminally hinted at, which is unforgiveable in my book.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Someone describing differently abled people like that needs to look long and hard at themselves. I'm sure it wasn't
premeditated but still it's very offensive.
At the very least an apology for causing this amount of upset and distress should be the order of the day.
Crass though it is, I'm sure it wasn't done
knowingly nor maliciously. Harty can be a little bit rude sometimes
And that's the nature of the job. It could be worse, it could be
subliminally hinted at, which is unforgiveable in my book.

The thing is
What he said, was just
A
Throwaway remark.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
My uncle is slighly spasticated and while I've not caught him licking windows or proposing we sack Adams I have no problem with what Harty said.

Sadly, I can believe the reaction from the self righteous brigade on here.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Hello to all, vistited this site for a long time but never bothered to post until today.
I cant believe the fuss a lot of you are making about a comment made by harty, one of the most passionate Albion fans there is!! You really need to grow up and get a life if your so shocked and offended by the comment "go and lick windows" or whatever was said. As has been said we've got a lot to thank Harty for through the bad times in the 90's.
Heres a novel idea, why not actually start supporting the Albion instead of moaning about every fuckin thing that ever happens......if your so upset and offended by what Harty says...turn your radio off and dont listen!
UP THE ALBION

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
My uncle is slighly spasticated and while I've not caught him licking windows or proposing we sack Adams I have no problem with what Harty said.

:laugh: brilliant.

The funniest thing for me reading this thread is seeing British Bulldog go all Mary Whitehouse calling for Harty's head. Is this the same British Bulldog who was banned from NSC for frequently calling me a **** and telling me to f*** off because I dared to challenge his incoherant fascist ramblings, or has someone hacked his account?.

If it wasn't so hilarious it'd be tragic.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hello to all, vistited this site for a long time but never bothered to post until today.
I cant believe the fuss a lot of you are making about a comment made by harty, one of the most passionate Albion fans there is!! You really need to grow up and get a life if your so shocked and offended by the comment "go and lick windows" or whatever was said. As has been said we've got a lot to thank Harty for through the bad times in the 90's.
Heres a novel idea, why not actually start supporting the Albion instead of moaning about every fuckin thing that ever happens......if your so upset and offended by what Harty says...turn your radio off and dont listen!
UP THE ALBION

It's not that people are offended, it's that (quite rightly IMO) they don't feel it's an appropriate thing to be said live on a BBC (or indeed any other) radio station.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's not that people are offended, it's that (quite rightly IMO) they don't feel it's an appropriate thing to be said live on a BBC (or indeed any other) radio station.

But he's not a politician or a member of the Royal Family, he's a fan who hosts a phone-in on a local radio station. It'd be a very dull world if every person who has a job in public service has to think twice before they say anything for fear it'll cause someone to complain about whether it's appropriate or not.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
But he's not a politician or a member of the Royal Family, he's a fan who hosts a phone-in on a local radio station. It'd be a very dull world if every person who has a job in public service has to think twice before they say anything for fear it'll cause someone to complain about whether it's appropriate or not.

I know what he is, but that DOES NOT mean he (or Hawesy, or whoever) can just go chucking out derogatory phrases towards the mentally handicapped when he's on the radio. WHY is this such a difficult point for everyone to comprehend? Would you be saying the same thing if he'd 'accidentally' used the word n*gger?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree with Sam , there seems to be some confusion here, was what Harty said so outrageous, in context no, it is something people may use in banter each day, it is ok to use it on a BBC station, er , no, its a no brainer. I was not particularly offended and people asking for Harty to resign are ridiculous but Harty has to accept the flack from it as also the tea towel remark but the remark I found most offensive was when he said all sth's who booed should hand their st's back on Monday as the club did not need fans like them.

Still Harty is what makes the fans forum essential listening and I would not change that. The guy is a fecking Albion legend.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I know what he is, but that DOES NOT mean he (or Hawesy, or whoever) can just go chucking out derogatory phrases towards the mentally handicapped when he's on the radio. WHY is this such a difficult point for everyone to comprehend? Would you be saying the same thing if he'd 'accidentally' used the word n*gger?

It was aimed at the idiots on here, not the mentally handicapped. Context is very important. As is the context in which the word ****** is used. Now calm down and stop using capitals, it looks like you're having a hissy fit.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It was aimed at the idiots on here, not the mentally handicapped. Context is very important. As is the context in which the word ****** is used. Now calm down and stop using capitals, it looks like you're having a hissy fit.

Yes, he was referring to the people on here using a phrase which is derogatory towards the mentally handicapped. Which you can't do on the radio.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yes, he was referring to the people on here using a phrase which is derogatory towards the mentally handicapped. Which you can't do on the radio.

Says who? You? The moral majority? The BBC? Do you really want to censor everything to the point where we're all treading on eggshells for fear of this kind of witch hunt? He was making a light-hearted quip and has had the decency to apologise if it caused offence. Whether it really caused anyone true offense or just gave some the opportunity to have a go at someone they've decided not to like I'll leave you to judge. The double standards here, as already pointed out, are breathtaking.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Says who? You? The moral majority? The BBC? Do you really want to censor everything to the point where we're all treading on eggshells for fear of this kind of witch hunt? He was making a light-hearted quip and has had the decency to apologise if it caused offence. Whether it really caused anyone true offense or just gave some the opportunity to have a go at someone they've decided not to like I'll leave you to judge. The double standards here, as already pointed out, are breathtaking.[/QUOTE

Totally agree.....political correctness is getting stupid, someone is always offended or upset or feels something is inappropriate. Were talking about a fans football phone in......hosted by a football fan, its a passionate sport...its what makes football so great!! Maybe we should get Joe Kinnear in to host it. Im sure he wouldnt say anything inappropriate!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Shall we club together and get Harty an Albion shirt with Window Licker number 1 on the back? :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here