Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty can you please explain to me what a window licker is?

Were the first people who wanted to see McClaren out of the England job (based on performance - since many of us shuddered at his appointment in the first place) also "window-lickers"? Or were they bad supporters? Or, people who spotted intrinsically flawed tactics and a lack of nouse - aka lacking management ability?

I'm not in an 'Adams out' camp, and have to say I don't like hiring and firing managers like changing shirts (plus it's expensive!). However, harbouring doubts or misgivings about our on-field tactics right now I have to admit there are things that are worrying enough about our play to question why things aren't changing from game to game.

Somehow The Albion are in a hurry to prove something on the pitch, without setting out to assert ourselves over opposing teams. We seem incapable of bottling them up, frustrating any of their tactics.

Mickey - it's not a matter of just picking things up where you left them - we have a different squad, even with OGH and Kerry Mayo around. It's a new job altogether, starting from scratch, and with a foundation of another manager's strong influence (on youth-teamers more than others).
It's not to say that you have to flush the side of players for the sake of building your own squad - you need to exert tactical intent and posture over the whole set of players, and have them understand and enact those tactics.
There's a reason that the military 'drill' their groups of men to understand and work as a unit - and for them it's a matter of winning battles and not disintegrating into a shambolic confusion of individuals.
We know these players can play, I know they are good enough as footballers - there only has to be cohesion of teamwork enough to counteract the sides we face, and we can absolutely RUN this division.
Let's run it, eh?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Same old story happens every fortnight with Harty, he needs to remember simple rules when he is on the radio. Same old arguments arise that it is all acceptable and okay because he is passionate and a true fan. Same rules would apply to me, states in the programme anyone using foul or abussive language will be removed, will Harty ever learn to get on with what he is good at, chatting with fans and letting the callers debate the issues, time will tell. Still who would be avalible to take over at short notice and on a temporay contract...er Jo Kinnear?

Spot on - not 'in the heat of battle' - just a crass and stupid comment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harty shouldn't have said it. He's said sorry. As I voted for Dean Wilkins in that thread, I've a right to feel offended as anyone, but frankly its no big deal [to me].

If his bosses see it differently, then that's his issue to deal with, but I don't think there's any need for a witch-hunt.

Slightly changing the subject, however, his whole angle was wrong anyway. He basically explained the poll as 43% of people wanted Adams sacked, which was NOT the poll question. The question was 'Who would you rather have as manager?', to which the clear answer for me was Wilkins, but in the context that I would prefer he had never left, as opposed to wishing at this stage for Adams to be removed and DW reinstated.

Not that Harty didn't know that anyway, obviously.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
FFS, it's an expression of speech, nothing more. NSC these days is taking itself far too seriously, so stop being a bunch of .......

.......daffodils

This might appear like Nazi Mods sticking together, but I actually agree with you, (pesonally I would have changed "Daffodils" for another word, but i don.t want to have to ban myself :D)

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
What she said. I also like Harty but sometimes it's as if he's learned a new 'funny' phrase and is just showing off.

Would anyone get away with using that term 'in a work environment'?

In which case he'll repeat it ad nauseum for the next few years.

If I hear him say "Doris Stokes" or "biggest comeback since Lazarus" one more time.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just wonder how many people who are in righteous indignation about Harty also wrote in to Channel 4 about Borat, and his regular use of the word 'retard', or whether they had a good chuckle when it was aired?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If it wasn't for Ian Hart there wouldn't be a club now , some people forget this or they simply jumped on the bandwagon years later so wouldn't know.
If it wasn't for Ian Hart and Gulls Eye the club would be dead.

I'm not Harty's greatest fan, But as been said, it all been blown out of proportion, and far too PC for me, I certainly wasnt offended by it..
I think some people looking for something to pick him up on, Particularly as it was addressed to some users of this NSC,

Had it been directed at say the opposing fans for something, the reaction would not have been so great.

no matter what you say today someone, somewhere will take offense.

"If it wasn't for Ian Hart there wouldn't be a club now"
"If it wasn't for Ian Hart and Gulls Eye the club would be dead."

However, what did Harty do that saved the club ?? and when ??

i've been following the club for over 30 years having attended all home matches in the last 10 years and until i joined NSC, never knew who he was.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not Harty's greatest fan, But as been said, it all been blown out of proportion, and far too PC for me, I certainly wasnt offended by it..
I think some people looking for something to pick him up on, Particularly as it was addressed to some users of this NSC,

Had it been directed at say the opposing fans for something, the reaction would not have been so great.

no matter what you say today someone, somewhere will take offense.

"If it wasn't for Ian Hart there wouldn't be a club now"
"If it wasn't for Ian Hart and Gulls Eye the club would be dead."

However, what did Harty do that saved the club ?? and when ??

i've been following the club for over 30 years having attended all home matches in the last 10 years and until i joined NSC, never knew who he was.

If you honestly don't know what Ian Hart and Gulls Eye did back in the 90's then you can't have been much of a fan

Pity he just can't call people fuckheads, then there'll be none of this PC bizzmess.

Grow up

Bang on.

For f*** sake, so many people need to get a f***ing life. Maybe it's because we won last night so people can't whinge and whine quite as much as usual so they've found something else to over-react about. Bunch of hypocritical fucktards. Happy to rip the piss out of Spurs and Newcastle fans for being fickle, then call for a manager to be sacked BEFORE October of his first season. Happy to take the piss out of Scousers for living in selfpity city, then over-react ENORMOUSLY over a comment that wasn't even said the way it's being reported on here. Are you REALLY offended, or have you just got f*** ALL else in your life? Switch the computer off and go outside.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Bang on.

For f*** sake, so many people need to get a f***ing life. Maybe it's because we won last night so people can't whinge and whine quite as much as usual so they've found something else to over-react about. Bunch of hypocritical fucktards. Happy to rip the piss out of Spurs and Newcastle fans for being fickle, then call for a manager to be sacked BEFORE October of his first season. Happy to take the piss out of Scousers for living in selfpity city, then over-react ENORMOUSLY over a comment that wasn't even said the way it's being reported on here. Are you REALLY offended, or have you just got f*** ALL else in your life? Switch the computer off and go outside.

shut up you window licker!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If you honestly don't know what Ian Hart and Gulls Eye did back in the 90's then you can't have been much of a fan

How that work ? Because i don't listen to the radio coming away from the game?
Gulls eye was a fanzine.yep got that bit, how did it save the club form going out of business as you have quoted ?
Why don't you just answer the straightforward question without trying to be clever and diverting away from it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Calling for his head over this is a bit OTT in my opinion but it's still a SHOCKING comment to be making on BBC radio.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gulls eyes was a fanzine.yep got that bit, how did it save the club form going out of business as you have quoted ?
Why don't you just answer the straightforward question without trying to be clever and diverting away from it.

I was pretty young at the time, so others will explain it better, but remember that at the time of Archerlotti there was no widespread internet use, no NSC, etc to inform people what was going on, or to agitate for direct action.

Gull's Eye fulfilled that function. More than that actually - don't forget that when Archer first rode into town he was welcomed with open arms, as the saviour of the club. Is was Gull's Eye that put in the tireless work to expose him for what he was.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Bang on.

I would do but my stannah stairlift has broken down and I am stuck in my bedroom kissing the window

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gulls eyes was a fanzine.yep got that bit, how did it save the club form going out of business as you have quoted ?
From what I recall they we among the first to openly expose the evil ones, despite being threatened with legal action. And of course they were a crucial "unofficial" voice to the fans desperate to know WTF was going on.

Harty's popularism might be annoying to some nowadays but in those days it was absolutely vital.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's told women callers to "get back to their knitting", or some such. He's referred to Arabs as "people with towels on their heads". And on here, we get touching little tributes to the bigotry of Bernard Manning and Love Thy Neighbour.

The LEAST one can do is not listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here