Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartlepool - Ineligible Player [Merged Threads]

We should absolutely get the 3 points! I wasn't at the game, but this lad MUST have effected it form the slightest touch of a ball to denying a goalscoring opportunity. They have influenced the points we could have been awarded by playing an illegal player and therefore should be deducted the points and then have them passed onto us.

They have cheated and therefore the opposition should receive the benefits from the result of the cheating. All that said the FA are a bit shit aren't they? So whether we get the points or not will probably decided by two pieces of paper and a hat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the FL will deduct the 3 point and goals scored and they will be fined between £1000 - £5000. The FA will just fine them without any further points deduction as they have infringed both sets of rules the Football League and the Football Association. The points and league tables are not the concern of the FA and if they take away points it leaves them open to a legal challenge which Hartlepool may take up if they are relegated or just accept if not.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
As others have said this has happend in the conference before.

Hartlepool will be deducted the points they earned whilst the player was on the pitch (so 3) but we won't get any points.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But why? They gained three points from a game where they played a player illegally. I agree that we won't get any points (although I think it is wrong) but I cannot see any way that they should be allowed to keep any of the points that they won.

No team has ever had points awarded to them under these circumstances that's why.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No team has ever had points awarded to them under these circumstances that's why.

Not exactly true as the FA advise county associations to award the points if the game cannot be replayed and it has been done many times. Granted it hasnt been done at the top levels but all clubs irrespective of standard are governed by the same rules so it is possible but not probable that we will be given the points.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I know full well that we won't get any points but I do think that is wrong. We got no points out of the game when we might have got one or three if Liddle hadn't played.

As for my other question, you said that they would lose two points at most. My question was why only two points when they gained three from a game that they played a banned player in?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Poyet speaks out.

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyets Points Claim

Gus Poyet says the Football League must award Albion three points from last Monday's match at Hartlepool, after it was discovered the home side fielded an ineligible player.

Central defender Gary Liddle collected his tenth caution of the season in Hartlepool's previous match at Leyton Orient, and was therefore serving an automatic two-match ban - and now, in the interests of fair competition, Poyet feels the League can only take one course of action.

The Albion boss explained, "I am sure Hartlepool did not realise he was suspended. It was not a case of cheating, but they made a mistake and that player should not have been on the pitch so the three points should go to the opposition.

"They cannot just deduct the points from Hartlepool. For the sake of fair competition we should be awarded them. All teams play 46 games in a season, so it would be unfair if we only played 45 matches.

"The Football League has to be careful with the decision they make. It does not matter if they did it with intention or not, the only decision they can make in this instance - and I would say the same if my team were the guilty party - is to give the three points to the opposition."

Hartlepool and Liddle have been charged by the Football Association for the offence.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If Hartlepool have benefited illegally from this player playing, then surely Brighton have lost out illegally. Any points removed from Pool should be given back to Brighton. Its simple logic.

Quite right, but it's the bloody Football League muppets we're dealing with here. I wouldn't be surprised if they did sweet FA tbh.*

*Pun intended. :wave:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Why not? Being that it is (probably) a dead rubber game should be neither here nor there. No doubt some 'bright spark' will point out that he didn't score, so the result should stand...

I never said that the fact it was a 'dead rubber game' should be a deciding factor, but it's the FA, of course it will be.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If anyone at the Football League has a half a brain cell, they will rightly take 3 points away from Hartlepool and award them to us.

Yes it was probably unintentional, but they have cheated. There's no other word for it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Quite right, but it's the bloody Football League muppets we're dealing with here. I wouldn't be surprised if they did sweet FA tbh.*

*Pun intended. :wave:

There is no way they will give us the points as that is not how it works. I don't agree with the system, as it probably means nobody gets any points from the game and as Poyet says we effectively play 45 games in the season. However, surely even the football league will deduct all three points that Hartlepool got from the match otherwise teams would do it all the time for important games and claim they didn't realise.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why should we be awarded the points? We have lost 12 games at home, since we didn't get points in those games does that mean we didn't play them? Of course not. So us not getting points doesn't negate the game.

How did Liddle influence the win? How can we say with any certainty that whoever played instead of him would not have had the same effect? How can we say his replacement wouldn't have been better than him? (I know an immediate argument would be "if there's a better option he would have been played" but we all know football isn't that predictable. Players you expect to be dead weight can have a great game (such as Carole when he replaced LuaLua a few games ago, performing better than anyone expected).

We didn't get any goals, who's to say we would have scored if Liddle didn't play?

I can't see any justification for just giving us the points, to be honest. I tink it's just wishful thinking.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
My biggest concern with this whole thing is how frequently it happens. Why is there not a printed list online nowadays for everyone to see who is suspended? Surely its up to the FA/FL to keep track of the bookings not the individual clubs?

Its the simplest piece of computer software that would require nothing more than someone someone manually updating cards against player names after each game and then everyone on both teams and the officals will know who should and shouldn't be playing?

Trouble is it will take something like this to happen and affect something major in the Premier League for anything to be done

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I fail to see how Hartlepool were unaware that their player was suspended for the game. We knew well enough that Murray was suspended for the game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My biggest concern with this whole thing is how frequently it happens. Why is there not a printed list online nowadays for everyone to see who is suspended? Surely its up to the FA/FL to keep track of the bookings not the individual clubs?

Its the simplest piece of computer software that would require nothing more than someone someone manually updating cards against player names after each game and then everyone on both teams and the officals will know who should and shouldn't be playing?

Trouble is it will take something like this to happen and affect something major in the Premier League for anything to be done

Screw a computer. Put a piece of paper up in the manager's office and put little tick next to each player's name when they get a yellow. It's not hard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here