Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harding playing games?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Easy 10 said:
You don't need a brick shithouse at full-back. Pace and positioning are far more important assets imho.

Easy 10 - him speak much sense.

The difference between Mayo and Harding, IMHO, is Mayo is never going to get any better. Yes, he "gives 100 per cent" , is "Sussex through and through" etc etc but he's such a limited player.

Harding gives the impression that with a full year at this level under his belt he'll develop into the sort of player who can cut out the basic mistakes and use speed and positioning to not get caught out 9 times out of 10.

Whereas Mayo, god love him, always seems to be diving in, making last-ditch tackles etc. It makes him look very committed (which he is) but I'd argue it also show the basic flaws in his game - not the best reader or tactician.

I'd like to keep Dan Harding or else try and find another left-back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
crasher said:

NOOOOO :eek: read Easy 10's comments again, you've misunderstood, him speak much crap :lol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Easy 10 said:
I would rather have a paper cup at left-back.

... now there is a player we could actually afford to sign... and I understand that his wage demands are very low...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
crasher said:

The difference between Mayo and Harding, IMHO, is Mayo is never going to get any better. Yes, he "gives 100 per cent" , is "Sussex through and through" etc etc but he's such a limited player.

Harding gives the impression that with a full year at this level under his belt he'll develop into the sort of player who can cut out the basic mistakes and use speed and positioning to not get caught out 9 times out of 10.

Whereas Mayo, god love him, always seems to be diving in, making last-ditch tackles etc. It makes him look very committed (which he is) but I'd argue it also show the basic flaws in his game - not the best reader or tactician.

I'd like to keep Dan Harding or else try and find another left-back.

Excellent post... couldn't agree more...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ned Zelic said:
I'm sure Ben's Grandad said that he would personally drive up to Everton or wherever to deliver the player and collect the cheque.

I would. Anything more than £150k tie them to a chair until they sign the cheque. Do not let them pass GO.

1 problem where would the money received from him go?

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
crasher said:

to be fair you could apply exactly the same comments to Oatway, Hart and to a degree Danny Cullip. It is noticeable with Nicolas how he does his work with minimum of fuss due to his excellent reading of the game, he always seems to be in the right place. Ditto Guy Butters is generally in the right place at the right time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Guy Butters has to read the game well as he would never get to the ball otherwise but he has been our strength this season in defence.

I am concerned that we are being overun in midfield of late irrespective of how many or how few we play there.

Last edited:

larus

BensGrandad said:
Guy Butters has to read the game well as he would never get to the ball otherwise but he has been our strength this season in defence.

I am concerned that we are being overun in midfield of late irrespective of how many or how few we play there.

Agreed BG.

I would like to see Hammond & Nicolas in the center together. Currie on the right, and when El-abd is back, move Reid up to left. If he wants five, then bring in Chippy.

Playing Championship-level football, you need defenders with pace which is why we would miss Harding a lot. Mayo is a competent player whose assets are experience and a degree of comfort with the ball. But his lack of pace is a big drawback for a defender at this level.

Jonah is an interesting idea but there would be question marks over his tackling and his discipline at left-back. But Reid has adjusted well, so it's possible.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
In general our whole game lacks pace
We seem so slow at doing most things would prefer to see a higher tempo

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
crasher said:

Agreed, but, at risk of repeating myself, what good is he to us if he continues his improvement at another club? I don't care how much better than Mayo he is, if he's wearing an Everton shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here