Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: We won't panic buy - By Brian Owen

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'm of the view that a good win on Saturday will give everybody a different perspective, including Gus.

Have we played well in the last couple of games? Generally, yes.
Have we been creating chances in the last couple of games? Yes
Should we have taken more points off Hull and Cardiff? Undoubtedly, yes.

A win on Saturday with a goal or two coming from the strikers or midfield, and we'll be mid-table with four points.
No need to panic :thumbsup:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think the point is that Gus WANTS TO ADD SOME MORE QUALITY PLAYERS to his squad. Not stick with what he has and settle for a relegation scrap.

???

We have a better squad than last season and we finished 10th, so please explain the relegation scrap bit ..

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm of the view that a good win on Saturday will give everybody a different perspective, including Gus.

Have we played well in the last couple of games? Generally, yes.
Have we been creating chances in the last couple of games? Yes
Should we have taken more points off Hull and Cardiff? Undoubtedly, yes.

A win on Saturday with a goal or two coming from the strikers or midfield, and we'll be mid-table with four points.
No need to panic :thumbsup:

With all due respect to teams like Barnsley, we should be thrashing them if we are serious about promotion. You appear to be overlooking the poor run at the end of last season as well. It would be a shame if we cannot strengthen our midfield. It would be a DISASTER if we cannot strengthen our strike force, because it is simply not fit for purpose.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
With all due respect to teams like Barnsley, we should be thrashing them if we are serious about promotion. You appear to be overlooking the poor run at the end of last season as well. It would be a shame if we cannot strengthen our midfield. It would be a DISASTER if we cannot strengthen our strike force, because it is simply not fit for purpose.

Sorry but I just hope to god that the players are not as complacent as you. Our midfield needs 1 player to go in over Dicker I agree. However the notion that it would be a disater if we failed to get a Striker is little short of nonsense. We will finish mid-table perhaps a little higher with what we have, if we get another quality midfielder and the elusive forward we can realistically make the top 6. But the idea we should be thrashing anyone in this league is pretty ill informed......IMHO like.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think the point is that Gus WANTS TO ADD SOME MORE QUALITY PLAYERS to his squad. Not stick with what he has and settle for a relegation scrap.

???

We have a better squad than last season and we finished 10th, so please explain the relegation scrap bit ..

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So no chance of him turning up?????

1764.jpg

Miralem Pjanić (born 2 April 1990) is a Bosnian football player who plays for Italian club Roma in Serie A. He plays as an attacking midfielder and has been described as an "old-fashioned playmaker with huge technical qualities".

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
So no chance of him turning up?????

1764.jpg

Miralem Pjanić (born 2 April 1990) is a Bosnian football player who plays for Italian club Roma in Serie A. He plays as an attacking midfielder and has been described as an "old-fashioned playmaker with huge technical qualities".

Is this just a player you like or something you have heard?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Sorry but I just hope to god that the players are not as complacent as you. Our midfield needs 1 player to go in over Dicker I agree. However the notion that it would be a disater if we failed to get a Striker is little short of nonsense. We will finish mid-table perhaps a little higher with what we have, if we get another quality midfielder and the elusive forward we can realistically make the top 6. But the idea we should be thrashing anyone in this league is pretty ill informed......IMHO like.

Totally agree. We have SIGNIFICANTLY improved our squad with the additions of Bruno, Bridge, Crofts and the Big Pole We Cannot Spell. The Championship is a hugely competitive league and I'd be quite surprised if any sides hand out thrashings very often (apart from us dealing with Palace, of course).

Gus and Tony know what they're doing. And saying. And not saying. Let's see what's happened by 31 August. :banana:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

If we don't strengthen our attack, we won't get hardly any goals. It is toothless.

Do you really think that two new wing-backs, a returning midfielder and a keeper are sufficient to turn -around a team that struggled to a grand total of thirteen points from the last thirteen matches of last season, and has failed to score a single goal so far this season? Sorry but I don't.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Totally agree. We have SIGNIFICANTLY improved our squad with the additions of Bruno, Bridge, Crofts and the Big Pole We Cannot Spell. The Championship is a hugely competitive league and I'd be quite surprised if any sides hand out thrashings very often (apart from us dealing with Palace, of course).

Gus and Tony know what they're doing. And saying. And not saying. Let's see what's happened by 31 August. :banana:

Gus is saying he needs a top quality striker of the standard of his other recent recruits. He is however, bulking at the cost of a quality striker. Anyone who says we have a strong squad already is simply deluded. Defenders do not win games (and winning games is needed for promotion), they stop you loosing.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
The new signings are all quality but the key issue has always been the forward areas for me, we just don't score enough to challenge at the top end of the table. It is a shame but it lets down a decent looking side. Gus knew what the budget was at the beginning and was aware that the striker was urgent but after signings appears not to have enough left. We won't struggle near the bottom for me but it is possibly a missed opportunity.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
If we don't strengthen our attack, we won't get hardly any goals. It is toothless.

Do you really think that two new wing-backs, a returning midfielder and a keeper are sufficient to turn -around a team that struggled to a grand total of thirteen points from the last thirteen matches of last season, and has failed to score a single goal so far this season? Sorry but I don't.

Why are we taking the last thirteen matches of the season in isolation and not the season as a whole? If you look at the whole of last season we have the same strikeforce now as we did then bar Paynter (who didnt score) and Vokes (who scored 5 or 6)

So the same players are in place up front, we are creating MUCH more chances than last year (see Brian Owen tweeted stat that we have created more than any other team in the Championship), and we have effectively replaced Navs (1 goal last season) with Crofts (8 goals in his last season in the Champ).

The end of last season was a slump in form, we created nothing and got nothing - the first 2 games this season we have created plenty but not put them away yet - they will come, I am 100% convinced of it.

We addressed serious concerns (GK, Full backs and a power midfielder) - that will help us to not only stop goals, but to have more licence to push forward to score more goals... this has already been seen in how we are playing. Yes, we need to make sure the strikers put the goals away, and another striker would be fantastic - but right now if we have to go with what we have, I can see us scoring at least the same amount as last season if not more, and certainly conceding less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here