Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: We won't panic buy - By Brian Owen

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Gus had a list of strikers from which he was aiming to bring in one or possibly two , the last couple on the list haven't come to fruition. It would be a waste of time and money signing a player who isn't going to improve the squad. There is always the loan market after the transfer window has closed.

Like last year?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hahahaha. You were devastatingly unlucky on Tuesday. Who do you reckon for Saturday? Same again?
I assume you just want to know who NOT to bet on.

If Bruno's odds remain that high, it may well be a season long bet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As strikers go we are ok, CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Agdejstein is probably the existing order. The way we play we are not desperate for another without either changing our formation or offloading one.

A striker who is better than Barnes and possibly better than CMS is what we need otherwise we may as well keep what we have got.

I'd rather we signed another centre back or a centre midfielder who is capable of challenging for a starting spot as our squad goes from very good players to average ones.

So you disagree with Gus, then? Tell you what, I'll go with his judgement that a striker is the top priority...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If the money aint there to get what we need then we have to do without. Simple. The sooner our more mathmatically challenged supporters get their heads round that the better.

It is not simple though is it? In fact, it is very complex.

With a poor season, which whatever you may think, the facts suggest we will happen without improving our goal scoring record, will:
The ticket sales hold up next year?
Will we keep the recent signings, or be able to recruit similar for next year is Gus' promises are proven to be false?
Will Gus move on?
Will we settle into becoming a team that has no ambition beyond the Championship?
Would Tony Bloom really not want to complete his vision?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If CMS had not had his snapshot turned away on Tuesday or if his header had gone in off the bar on Saturday, we probably wouldn't still be so determined to see another striker come in.

I think CMS is an excellent option to lead the line for now. A loan is most likely as back up I reckon.

No, not the way Gus sees it... or me... the striker he is after will be first choice...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

With a poor season, which whatever you may think, the facts suggest we will happen without improving our goal scoring record, will:
The ticket sales hold up next year?
Will we keep the recent signings, or be able to recruit similar for next year is Gus' promises are proven to be false?
Will Gus move on?
Will we settle into becoming a team that has no ambition beyond the Championship?
Would Tony Bloom really not want to complete his vision?

And on top of this we have to do whatever is sustainable for our club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Like last year?

Yes , last year was our first season in the Championship , Premier League clubs will be inclined to offer us slightly better players than what was on offer in 2011/2012

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Actually the INDISPUTABLE FACTS would show that if we scored exactly the same goals, but improved our defence, which we have no end, we would have a better season!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh, that is good news! How did you find that out?

Wayne Bridge on a season long loan from Man City is an indicator , last season they only gave us Razak and Assulin.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Actually the INDISPUTABLE FACTS would show that if we scored exactly the same goals, but improved our defence, which we have no end, we would have a better season!
Still he can't seem to get his head round it - and his only justification (that I've read) appears to be that we will miss the aerial threat of Sam Vokes. If we can't find the man to replace him and his ONE headed goal, we may as well just give up on this season. :lolol:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Gus: We won't panic buy​

Gus Poyet has admitted he will not sign a striker this summer if he cannot get the right man.

The Albion boss is desperate for a goal getter to fire his side into the upper reaches of the Championship.

But he has insisted he will not panic buy to boost his side, who are still searching for a first goal of the season.

Poyet wants an attacking addition of similar quality to his three star summer signings at the back – Wayne Bridge, Bruno and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Poyet said: “I’m not going to get just anyone in.

“I’m not going to give anyone the chance to say we’ve got the striker we wanted when we haven’t.

“We bring in quality or we don’t bring in anybody.”

Poyet reckons Albion’s top-flight defenders have taken his side into another gear.

Bridge and Bruno have impressed in the opening Championship games of the season after arriving from Manchester City and Valencia.

Their efforts have been a real eye opener for fans and players alike at The Amex according to their boss.

Poyet said: “The best chance (against Cardiff on Tuesday) – or the one that looked like it was going in – was Bruno’s “Wayne was voted man of the match.

“That shows not only the quality but also the power, the speed when you go to another level.

“I always say to people here, quality is not only about technique.

“It is about the quality of your understanding, the quality of your fitness, your speed.

“In the Premier League everything is better.

“This show when Wayne started running and he was passing people like they cannot run.

“And I tell you what – they CAN run.”

Albion today start the build-up to the home game against Barnsley with Poyet content at their performances so far.

He said: "People can’t believe how calm I am. Normally after one point from two games I would be mad."

Couldn`t find the right man for the job then,it`s good to see that he will not the same mistake he made last season.But we must all realise that with out signing a goal scorer or two promotion is but a dream

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't think Murray is THE striker Gus is looking for. But perhaps more useful to Gus than Hoskins...

whether with us of someone else I really think Hoskins is going to prove he has what it takes at this level, he must be the unluckiest player in years with the timing of his injuries. Without Barnes bashing, as he offers a lot, the glimpses I have seenb of Hoskins, he looks like a better version of Barnes

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All is not lost. Even a 90 day 'emergency' loan, and then something more permanent in January could do the job.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Still he can't seem to get his head round it - and his only justification (that I've read) appears to be that we will miss the aerial threat of Sam Vokes. If we can't find the man to replace him and his ONE headed goal, we may as well just give up on this season. :lolol:

I would have settled for that one goal in the last three matches! When will some people realise that with CMS we are not likely to score as many as last year?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I get the inkling that as soon as it clicks together for the first time that it should all go on from there. I wouldn't describe Barnsley as a walk in the park, but the expectations are there to start banging them home, so as long as the team don't feel the pressure from the crowd to score 8 in the one game, i think it'll work out decently. I want that new striker too. We've been led to believe such a person is on their way, by Gus with his belief that it'll happen soon, and with the madmouthed rumour monkeys who storm the board and make us all believe that a worldbeater is officially bagged. I don't agree with the idea that the team should be pitied as if they are waiting for the star striker to turn it all around and can't quite do it alone. They can, and will, given the chance. If we get that dream player within our budget restrictions, then great. Yes, premiership sides want unwanted stars loaned out when the window comes to a close. But if we don't, i think we'll manage and impress.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When will some people realise that with CMS we are not likely to score as many as last year?
But we had CMS last year?
With a weaker defence, and a considerably weaker midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here