Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: We won't panic buy - By Brian Owen

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So the same players are in place up front, we are creating MUCH more chances than last year (see Brian Owen tweeted stat that we have created more than any other team in the Championship), and we have effectively replaced Navs (1 goal last season) with Crofts (8 goals in his last season in the Champ).

The end of last season was a slump in form, we created nothing and got nothing - the first 2 games this season we have created plenty but not put them away yet - they will come, I am 100% convinced of it.

We addressed serious concerns (GK, Full backs and a power midfielder) - that will help us to not only stop goals, but to have more licence to push forward to score more goals... this has already been seen in how we are playing. Yes, we need to make sure the strikers put the goals away, and another striker would be fantastic - but right now if we have to go with what we have, I can see us scoring at least the same amount as last season if not more, and certainly conceding less.

This. Nothing has changed and we are creating more chances.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As strikers go we are ok, CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Agdejstein is probably the existing order. The way we play we are not desperate for another without either changing our formation or offloading one.

A striker who is better than Barnes and possibly better than CMS is what we need otherwise we may as well keep what we have got.

I'd rather we signed another centre back or a centre midfielder who is capable of challenging for a starting spot as our squad goes from very good players to average ones.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Why are we taking the last thirteen matches of the season in isolation and not the season as a whole? If you look at the whole of last season we have the same strikeforce now as we did then bar Paynter (who didnt score) and Vokes (who scored 5 or 6)

So the same players are in place up front, we are creating MUCH more chances than last year (see Brian Owen tweeted stat that we have created more than any other team in the Championship), and we have effectively replaced Navs (1 goal last season) with Crofts (8 goals in his last season in the Champ).

The end of last season was a slump in form, we created nothing and got nothing - the first 2 games this season we have created plenty but not put them away yet - they will come, I am 100% convinced of it.

We addressed serious concerns (GK, Full backs and a power midfielder) - that will help us to not only stop goals, but to have more licence to push forward to score more goals... this has already been seen in how we are playing. Yes, we need to make sure the strikers put the goals away, and another striker would be fantastic - but right now if we have to go with what we have, I can see us scoring at least the same amount as last season if not more, and certainly conceding less.

I am not, I am taking the last sixteen matches in total.

In my opinion, whilst we did well with similar players early last season, our system was found-out and the better quality opposition players were able to counter it. We cannot underestimate the contribution of last season's loan players, and the failure (to date) to replace the presence of Vokes in particular. We have no areal threat at the moment from set peaces.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I am not, I am taking the last sixteen matches in total.

In my opinion, whilst we did well with similar players early last season, our system was found-out and the better quality opposition players were able to counter it. We cannot underestimate the contribution of last season's loan players, and the failure (to date) to replace the presence of Vokes in particular. We have no areal threat at the moment from set peaces.

So you don't think we have changed our system and the way we are playing this season in the first couple of games? The whole playing to CMS's strengths etc. which most people are saying we are now doing? How does that relate to last season?

Bridge is getting forward more than Painter/Mattock ever did - Bruno is showing that he may be as much of a goal threat as Calde, and Crofts most definitely is more of a goal threat than any of our central midfielders last season combined.

I think have to ask you - if we had bought Vokes, would you have been happier?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think have to ask you - if we had bought Vokes, would you have been happier?

Happier than not getting anyone better. I thought he looked a better prospect than CMS (who is at his peak), and scored a great goal at Forest. At least he offers that "something different to what we have" that Gus always talks about.

I cannot understand all this lack of ambition on this board, and a willingness to make do with what we have. Clearly Gus is not happy about it, why should the fans be?

Albion4Ev3R

Aug 23, 2010
Hove
If we don't strengthen our attack, we won't get hardly any goals. It is toothless.

Do you really think that two new wing-backs, a returning midfielder and a keeper are sufficient to turn -around a team that struggled to a grand total of thirteen points from the last thirteen matches of last season, and has failed to score a single goal so far this season? Sorry but I don't.

What?? look at it this way we werent in a relegation scrap last year so with the new top flight signings we shouldnt be looking there this season and im pretty sure GP isnt going to just leave us without a striker if he cant get one he wants he will get one on loan or someting i highly doubt he will just leave it, further more with the massive imrovements to our defence we should concide less goals to scoring goals should become less of a promlem.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
If CMS had not had his snapshot turned away on Tuesday or if his header had gone in off the bar on Saturday, we probably wouldn't still be so determined to see another striker come in.

I think CMS is an excellent option to lead the line for now. A loan is most likely as back up I reckon.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Happier than not getting anyone better. I thought he looked a better prospect than CMS (who is at his peak), and scored a great goal at Forest. At least he offers that "something different to what we have" that Gus always talks about.

I cannot understand all this lack of ambition on this board, and a willingness to make do with what we have. Clearly Gus is not happy about it, why should the fans be?

It is not about ambition, but clearly we have been attempting to bring a striker in for some time now, and either they have demanded too much in wages or the clubs have demanded a fee above our means. Nobody can be blamed for that, Tony has set the budget and he has to sustain the football club, Poyet has that budget and has spent what he felt was right on other areas, and I am sure has left the most money for the striker (given that he always says they are the most expensive).

Gus isnt going to go out and buy just any striker - that he has made clear... he got Paynter in on loan and that was a disaster, Vokes did a job and has potential but we clearly need to aim higher - therefore surely if we were to have bought Vokes we wouldnt have had as much ambition?

We aren't going to get more money in the budget, so Gus has x to spend - everything is in the players court until deadline day approaches and suddenly they need a club to play for if they are unattached or not in the 25 of their Prem club. Expect everything to happen on that last day and it to be a rollercoaster.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I am extremely happy that Gus is setting his sights high when it comes to a new striker - is that not ambitious?. When they do eventually arrive, I expect this board will melt.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is not about ambition, but clearly we have been attempting to bring a striker in for some time now, and either they have demanded too much in wages or the clubs have demanded a fee above our means. Nobody can be blamed for that, Tony has set the budget and he has to sustain the football club, Poyet has that budget and has spent what he felt was right on other areas, and I am sure has left the most money for the striker (given that he always says they are the most expensive).

Gus isnt going to go out and buy just any striker - that he has made clear... he got Paynter in on loan and that was a disaster, Vokes did a job and has potential but we clearly need to aim higher - therefore surely if we were to have bought Vokes we wouldnt have had as much ambition?

We aren't going to get more money in the budget, so Gus has x to spend - everything is in the players court until deadline day approaches and suddenly they need a club to play for if they are unattached or not in the 25 of their Prem club. Expect everything to happen on that last day and it to be a rollercoaster.

Sorry I have read all of that. But, what is your point, rather than stating the obvious? We all know where we are right now.

Earlier you said "Yes, we need to make sure the strikers put the goals away, and another striker would be fantastic - but right now if we have to go with what we have, I can see us scoring at least the same amount as last season if not more, and certainly conceding less." Do you agree we need a striker or not? Last seasons away goal total in particular, was pathetic.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am extremely happy that Gus is setting his sights high when it comes to a new striker - is that not ambitious?. When they do eventually arrive, I expect this board will melt.

I totally agree with you if you look at my posts. My comment was about others' acceptance of sticking with what we have.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I totally agree with you if you look at my posts. My comment was about others' acceptance of sticking with what we have.

Fair enough. We don't really have a choice though do we. I would rather Gus saved his cash for a big signing rather than several mediocre ones.

Anyway, all our worries will be over after Saturday - CMS is going to score 7! You heard it here first.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Fair enough. We don't really have a choice though do we. I would rather Gus saved his cash for a big signing rather than several mediocre ones.

Anyway, all our worries will be over after Saturday - CMS is going to score 7! You heard it here first.

What and no more for the rest of the season then? lol

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Sorry I have read all of that. But, what is your point, rather than stating the obvious? We all know where we are right now.

Earlier you said "Yes, we need to make sure the strikers put the goals away, and another striker would be fantastic - but right now if we have to go with what we have, I can see us scoring at least the same amount as last season if not more, and certainly conceding less." Do you agree we need a striker or not? Last seasons away goal total in particular, was pathetic.

I agree that to get top 6 we need another striker, but I am not going to moan incessantly like a few people on here about it because I know it isn't as simple as just going out and buying one. I believe that with what we have we will be comfortably mid table and not relegation fodder as you have suggested.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus had a list of strikers from which he was aiming to bring in one or possibly two , the last couple on the list haven't come to fruition. It would be a waste of time and money signing a player who isn't going to improve the squad. There is always the loan market after the transfer window has closed.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If the money aint there to get what we need then we have to do without. Simple. The sooner our more mathmatically challenged supporters get their heads round that the better.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gus: We won't panic buy​

Gus Poyet has admitted he will not sign a striker this summer if he cannot get the right man.

The Albion boss is desperate for a goal getter to fire his side into the upper reaches of the Championship.

But he has insisted he will not panic buy to boost his side, who are still searching for a first goal of the season.

Poyet wants an attacking addition of similar quality to his three star summer signings at the back – Wayne Bridge, Bruno and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Poyet said: “I’m not going to get just anyone in.

“I’m not going to give anyone the chance to say we’ve got the striker we wanted when we haven’t.

“We bring in quality or we don’t bring in anybody.”

Poyet reckons Albion’s top-flight defenders have taken his side into another gear.

Bridge and Bruno have impressed in the opening Championship games of the season after arriving from Manchester City and Valencia.

Their efforts have been a real eye opener for fans and players alike at The Amex according to their boss.

Poyet said: “The best chance (against Cardiff on Tuesday) – or the one that looked like it was going in – was Bruno’s“Wayne was voted man of the match.

“That shows not only the quality but also the power, the speed when you go to another level.

“I always say to people here, quality is not only about technique.

“It is about the quality of your understanding, the quality of your fitness, your speed.

“In the Premier League everything is better.

“This show when Wayne started running and he was passing people like they cannot run.

“And I tell you what – they CAN run.”

Albion today start the build-up to the home game against Barnsley with Poyet content at their performances so far.

He said: "People can’t believe how calm I am. Normally after one point from two games I would be mad."
Stop torturing me Gusington.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I agree that to get top 6 we need another striker, but I am not going to moan incessantly like a few people on here about it because I know it isn't as simple as just going out and buying one. I believe that with what we have we will be comfortably mid table and not relegation fodder as you have suggested.

Fair enough. But, only time will tell, and hopefully Gus will find his striker and we can all relax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here