Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Said We Have Spent 70% of our Transfer Budget Already

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The starting eleven are fine - but there is no one of quality on the bench until the missing three return.

We are 3 or 4 players short and need them signed as soon as possible.

Do not forget that the loan window re-opens shortly after 6 pm Tuesday, when the Premier and Championship sides will have chosed their 20-24 squad players and some good prospects will be available to us.

You take your some of your season's expectations from pre-season results?

Blimey.

Not just results, but performances & new signings too.
Last season our pre season results were very poor and this reflected in the first 5 months in the league.
Pre season results this time around have been poor, but at least the squad has improved - however, from day one it was evident that we would not be in the top 2 or top 6 (if we lost any players to injury/suspensions).
And this was my view even after 90 minutes at Swindon - having gone to the game.

Whilst we all like the winning, sometimes its just about taking part?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The starting eleven are fine - but there is no one of quality on the bench until the missing three return.

We are 3 or 4 players short and need them signed as soon as possible.

Do not forget that the loan window re-opens shortly after 6 pm Tuesday, when the Premier and Championship sides will have chosed their 20-24 squad players and some good prospects will be available to us.

Agreed, looks like we are looking at more loans than Gus would like now, barring the charge of the last-minute permanent signings cavalry...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not just results, but performances & new signings too.
Last season our pre season results were very poor and this reflected in the first 5 months in the league.
Pre season results this time around have been poor, but at least the squad has improved - however, from day one it was evident that we would not be in the top 2 or top 6 (if we lost any players to injury/suspensions).
And this was my view even after 90 minutes at Swindon - having gone to the game.

Whilst we all like the winning, sometimes its just about taking part?

Like I said.

Blimey.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When we signed Barnes, loads on here were creaming themselves.

I said at the time, with Murray/Barnes/Holroyd (+Hart) as our forwards we had ZERO chance of going up.

First priority is a striker and I'm sure Gus and Tony are doing their best to bring one in.

Having got Virgo, Kuipers, Dickinson, Forster and Crofts off the wage bill, I am sure there's more than a bit left to spend, but why letthe world know that?

We lost 1-0 at Wednesday with no Greer or Sparrow. Put them back in, get in the Striker and add Lua Lua and we look pretty good IMO

(BTW is Lua Lua in the Newcastle squad for the Carling Cup game?)

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Surely if Lua Lua doesn't get the chance tonight that should make it much more likely for him to be leaving on loan.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Maybe letting Virgo leave was not such a wise move by Gus. He seemed to be playing well at the end of last season. He was cover for centre half and right back, had played in midfield, and of course up front at Championship level and did not disgrace himself. If nothing else he was a great man to have on the bench due to his versatility.

Onwards and upwards...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's disgusting. We should be spending more than anyone else and we should be top of the league. Refs hate us, other fans hate us, we have a shit ground and we don't get the rub of the green very often. I am starting to despair. If Gus and Tony don't sort it out by this weekend I may have to start booing. Really really upset.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe letting Virgo leave was not such a wise move by Gus. He seemed to be playing well at the end of last season. He was cover for centre half and right back, had played in midfield, and of course up front at Championship level and did not disgrace himself. If nothing else he was a great man to have on the bench due to his versatility.

Onwards and upwards...

Not good ENOUGH though, at right back, or up front, and is shocking in midfield.

Only worth considering at CB, and no better than the three we have.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not good ENOUGH though, at right back, or up front, and is shocking in midfield.

Only worth considering at CB, and no better than the three we have.

And sounds like he was on a MEGA whack of wages.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Albion boss Gus Poyet has 30 per cent of his budget left – but he cannot spend it all on a goalscorer.

The Seagulls want him to use the money to strengthen other areas of the squad as well.

Poyet has been hunting all summer for a striker to boost Albion’s promotion prospects.

Many of the targets have been out of the club’s price range and, with the close of the transfer window less than a week away, Albion are also still short of a left winger and midfield and defensive cover.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “Sometimes you need to realise, me in particular, where we are and what we pay and what we can get. I know I have got a budget and I’ve still got 30 per cent of the budget to use.

“Then you need to work with the club, the chief executive, the chief scout and the chairman, to know how you use that 30 per cent.

“Everybody knows we maybe need extra cover at the back. That is why Tanno (assistant Mauricio Taricco) is training, because if it is Tanno then we don’t need to bring anyone.

“Everybody knows with the situation with Alan Navarro that we need a midfielder now which we didn’t before.

“We need a left-sided midfielder and everyone is thinking it’s LuaLua but until it’s done it’s not done. And everyone knows we need a striker.

“If you ask me how I would use the 30 per cent I would get a striker but that is not the way we work at the club, so we need to use the 30 per cent for the four players. Let’s see what we get.”

Poyet is unsure whether a striker will be signed before Monday’s deadline for permanent deals.

“It’s been hard for different reasons,” he said. “Maybe I am trying to get players who are too good and we cannot afford them. Do I want average players? I’m not sure, so it is very difficult.

“In the front line alone we have looked at more than 20 players but got no-one, that is the problem. Now we are looking at five or ten more.

“Are we going to get one of them? I don’t know, I cannot answer that question.”

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Blown out all proportion.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Personally the fact that we are debating a 'budget' represents progress in comarison to recent years.

The fact that we are moaning about a chairman who has personally funded a 22,000 all seater stadium represents progress.

The fact we have a bright young, exciting manager represents progress.

MInd you - I suppose we could simply say nothing is ever good enough and we snipe and whine at any attempt made to take the club forward.

but then I think back to a fireworks night many years ago and watching us lose at Gillingham to a shitty Barnet side in front of less than 1,000 people and think well.....perahps we ahvent got a £1million striker......

but a ground, some hope and a future is pretty much a good place to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here