Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Said We Have Spent 70% of our Transfer Budget Already

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
You doom and gloom merchants.
We have a better manager, a better assistant manager, a better reserve team coach, better coaching and backroom staff. We are playing better football because we have better players. Cast your mind back 12 months, it makes me shudder to think back.....
Plus we have a Chairman who cares and never stops smiling.....
Then there is a small matter of a superb new stadium around the corner. Shall I go on you Wankers!!

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
You doom and gloom merchants.
We have a better manager, a better assistant manager, a better reserve team coach, better coaching and backroom staff. We are playing better football because we have better players. Cast your mind back 12 months, it makes me shudder to think back.....
Plus we have a Chairman who cares and never stops smiling.....
Then there is a small matter of a superb new stadium around the corner. Shall I go on you Wankers!!
This applies to you aswell. :facepalm:

Debate and abuse on NSC - North Stand Chat

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
had a flick through this thread..... it's just the same old moans and groans and counter arguments that we've had HUNDREDS of times before on here. how long will it take for people to actually realise that we're not near the big time yet? it's not difficult to understand the situation we're in!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
had a flick through this thread..... it's just the same old moans and groans and counter arguments that we've had HUNDREDS of times before on here. how long will it take for people to actually realise that we're not near the big time yet? it's not difficult to understand the situation we're in!

But...but...but...

TONY said he wanted us to be in the top 2
TONY said playoffs are an absolute minimum this season
TONY said we'd spend a million pounds on one player
TONY said we'd start at Falmer in the Championship

And all we've signed is a Plymouth reserve, a violent jocko from Swindon, a Scunny reject, a Bulgarian with a walking stick, two USELESS keepers and a couple of kids from some south american slum.

blogger-maturity.jpg

Its NOT FAIR. I want 4 more players, one of them costing a MILLION POUNDS, and I want them by YESTERDAY MORNING.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
But...but...but...

And all we've signed is a Plymouth reserve, a violent jocko from Swindon, a Scunny reject, a Bulgarian with a walking stick, two USELESS keepers and a couple of kids from some south american slum.

blogger-maturity.jpg

Its NOT FAIR. I want 4 more players, one of them costing a MILLION POUNDS, and I want them by YESTERDAY MORNING.

:thumbsup:

This.

I remember the day's when I was scared to pick up the Argus or talk to friends about the Albion in case I heard something which meant our club was imminently about to fold due to Archer or Bellotti.

Tony B. I am grateful eternally for what you have done for this club, thus far. I would love a 30+ goal a season striker and automatic promotion this year. If not, I am not going to get out of my pram, I will just wake up happy every day that our club is where it is and my dream of Falmer is coming ever closer.

Stop moaning all, spend your time getting behind Gus & the team and let us for once divert all this negative drivel behind the team on Saturday at Withers and make it a fortress for the rest of the season.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
But...but...but...

blogger-maturity.jpg

As much as this is mildly funny, it does have a lot of truth in it.

The hype has been built upon by outrageous statements by the person in charge of the finances at the football club, who stated promotion is needed ths season and anything less is not on!

Now for whatever reason we havent been able to bring in the big money striker we wanted, matters none. There is still quality out there and we must chase that.

We do not have a promotion side as is, no way. We have assembled a good bunch but by Poyets own acknowledgement its not enough.

Now I for one will be gutted if we dont bring in 2/3 more quality players because we are so so so close in my opinion to having the jigsaw in place.

People are saying, whats the rush bla bla bla...new staduim bla bla bla....at the end of the day, we are proberly a good striker and a winger to slot into the starting eleven away from a promotion side.

Now it will be very frustrating to have a nearly 11, just because we dont have the fire power to finish the job

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
:thumbsup:

This.

I remember the day's when I was scared to pick up the Argus or talk to friends about the Albion in case I heard something which meant our club was imminently about to fold due to Archer or Bellotti.

Tony B. I am grateful eternally for what you have done for this club, thus far. I would love a 30+ goal a season striker and automatic promotion this year. If not, I am not going to get out of my pram, I will just wake up happy every day that our club is where it is and my dream of Falmer is coming ever closer.

Stop moaning all, spend your time getting behind Gus & the team and let us for once divert all this negative drivel behind the team on Saturday at Withers and make it a fortress for the rest of the season.

Exactly! Thank you!

Not that the moaning makes a jot of difference to me anyway- I've seen enough from this side to give me confidence that we are one of the best teams in this league. Regardless of who Gus brings in this week, I fancy us to go up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As much as this is mildly funny, it does have a lot of truth in it.

The hype has been built upon by outrageous statements by the person in charge of the finances at the football club, who stated promotion is needed ths season and anything less is not on!

No, the hype has been built upon people taking one rash, naive statement and embellishing it into something else for their own ends.

You can be 'gutted' if you want, and wallow in this misery, but in the great scheme of things, I'm going to see how things pan out, and not feel such pain on the back something which may or may not happen.

Meanwhile, the earth keeps on a-spinning...

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
I am not sure about this, maybe Gus is saying this to make the fans think that we won't be signing many more players. If he says we have a lot of budget left but end up with nobody the fans will be pissed off, but if he says the budget is low the fans will not be expecting many more signings. The striker has to be the priority though, Murray can't do it on his own.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hasn't Tony Bloom downsized his expectations for the season? I'm sure I've seen a number of quotes by him where he says top six and not automatic. All of which were said after his one claim of a top two finish. Did i imagine that or are some people deliberately ignoring those later quotes in favour of the earlier one?

Why are people getting worked up over Poyet's paper talk of having 30% of the budget left. No-one has any idea how much that is so why pretend that you do or get worked up by it. Lets see what happens.

Why are people getting worked up by the squad not being complete yet? The squad has had a massive overhaul. Who seriously expected-despite Poyet's claims of wanting it-that the squad would be complete by pre-season? Do people want us to sign average players just so that we have a 'complete' squad? Despite the fact that we're then left with a number of players we don't really want on the wage bill. Wouldn't that defeat the point of having a mass clear out of the dead wood?

Do people seriously think that mistakes wouldn't be made. At all. By either Bloom or Poyet? Do people seriously think that they would not and will never make mistakes? Do people seriously think that Poyet and Bloom aren't trying their hardest to get the players we need. Do/did people seriously think that everything will/would go our way? Do people seriously think that progress is not being made at the club?

I dunno, don't get what their is to get so worked up about. :shrug:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
I am not sure about this, maybe Gus is saying this to make the fans think that we won't be signing many more players. If he says we have a lot of budget left but end up with nobody the fans will be pissed off, but if he says the budget is low the fans will not be expecting many more signings. The striker has to be the priority though, Murray can't do it on his own.

Its not what he says in the paper today ! He's saying we have to get three or four players with the existing budget...and that he cant spend it all on a striker!
Which suggests to me, that maybe apart from Lua Lua (if we get him), who will for sure be a loan signing, then we are looking at transfers.
Certainly seems that whatever striker we get, it isnt going to be on ethat costs alot !!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We have bought in 10/11 players so far. So if we have 30% of the budget left what the problem?. That means we can expect another 3/4 players. Its all smoke and mirrors, as if Gus is going to make it public, what he has got do spend!!!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
With a New stadium and a promising management set-up I had high hopes but of course to ensure promotion the manager requires four more players,if we are going to pay peanuts we shall only get Division 1 players.
Falmer watching the standard of football we have had to suffer over the past three seasons is going to be less than attractive and attendances are likely to tail off,its a great shame that lack of cash for new players is going to spoil our dream.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Hasn't Tony Bloom downsized his expectations for the season? I'm sure I've seen a number of quotes by him where he says top six and not automatic. All of which were said after his one claim of a top two finish. Did i imagine that or are some people deliberately ignoring those later quotes in favour of the earlier one?

Why are people getting worked up over Poyet's paper talk of having 30% of the budget left. No-one has any idea how much that is so why pretend that you do or get worked up by it. Lets see what happens.

Why are people getting worked up by the squad not being complete yet? The squad has had a massive overhaul. Who seriously expected-despite Poyet's claims of wanting it-that the squad would be complete by pre-season? Do people want us to sign average players just so that we have a 'complete' squad? Despite the fact that we're then left with a number of players we don't really want on the wage bill. Wouldn't that defeat the point of having a mass clear out of the dead wood?

Do people seriously think that mistakes wouldn't be made. At all. By either Bloom or Poyet? Do people seriously think that they would not and will never make mistakes? Do people seriously think that Poyet and Bloom aren't trying their hardest to get the players we need. Do/did people seriously think that everything will/would go our way? Do people seriously think that progress is not being made at the club?

Good post, and agree with all you say. Ive been banging on about this as well, but unfortunately there are many ,many people here who's glass is half empty, and cant get their heads around the fact that so much has happened within the club within the last 12 months .
I think its called ...banging your head againt the wall !

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
No, the hype has been built upon people taking one rash, naive statement and embellishing it into something else for their own ends.

You can be 'gutted' if you want, and wallow in this misery, but in the great scheme of things, I'm going to see how things pan out, and not feel such pain on the back something which may or may not happen.

Meanwhile, the earth keeps on a-spinning...

Its not only one statement, The chairman has made it clear when he appointed Poyet what he wanted and he didnt hide away making that clear. At every fans forum and also via interviews he's commented that he will put together a good enough budget for us to get out of this league.

Im not talking about stupid and unrealistic players that have been wrongly linked on this site from my builders uncle mate who works with a bloke who once met Tony Bloom.

Its not the end of the world if we dont get a striker, but it is a waste of a fantastic opportunity to get out of this league as the squad lets be honest is more or less there. give or take 2/3.

Im not deluded and dont expect us to walk the league and neither do I expect us to spend a million quid...but I do want success this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With a New stadium and a promising management set-up I had high hopes but of course to ensure promotion the manager requires four more players,if we are going to pay peanuts we shall only get Division 1 players.
Falmer watching the standard of football we have had to suffer over the past three seasons is going to be less than attractive and attendances are likely to tail off,its a great shame that lack of cash for new players is going to spoil our dream.

Personally I think you are completely wrong.

The standard of football [if not always the results] has been better under Gus than for years. People ARE generally enjoying the games, and if we finish 8th, I for one don't especially care.

Attendances is the first Falmer season will be good regardless of what division we are in, and are actually likely to be higher if we are WINNING in league One , than losing in the Championship.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London

I am with you mate. Also if you listen to all managers and Chairman bar Man City they are saying it has become very very difficult to get players in this season.

For me the bottom line is Gus is only signing players he thinks are up to the standard he wants. I for one would rather stick with the current squad than add the likes of the crap we had in recent years - IE; Dickinson, Wright (Jake and Mark), McLeod, Graham Smith, Livermore, Jarrett, Dixon.......the list goes on.

Gus says in the interview he has 30% of the budget left, he does not say that he ONLY has 30% left, in my view he is just stating facts not moaning. Clearly he is frustrated at not getting the Striker he wants and with the LuaLua situation but to be fair he probably wants people to stop asking about the subject.

He may even be being a bit crafty and trying to get Bloomy to release a bit more dosh but at the end of the day they are running the club sensibly unlike Saints former owners, Pompeys former owners, Southends owners and Crystal Palace's former owners.

We need to be patient we have a good young manager who is buliding a great football culture at the club and it may take time to get as strong a sqaud as we want, we have got a better one than finished last season so strongly IMHO.

Finally I think we will be happy once the deadline closes (no sources just a hunch) I for one believe we are going places be it this season or the next.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009

The only thing that is going to spoil our dream is knob head supporters and comments like you have put here !....it TAKES TIME to change. Things dont happen overnight . The standard of football compared to 12 months ago is unrecognisable. The infrastructure of the club has changed...the team is changing.
And our dream is nearly a reality.
We can only pay peanuts because WE ARE A LEAGUE ONE team, with crowds of 6,000 ish.
Where the f*** do you think the money is ? (and dont say Tony Bloom). If it wasnt for him, the stadium would be a pile of metal and our club would be dying . Doesnt matter how much he has put into the stadium, there is still a wage budget and a transfer budget.
READ todays ARGUS !
Please.....get a reality check !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here