Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Gus is a South American in England and he seems to feel he needs to support his own through thick and thin. The Suarez/Ghana incident springs to mind.

In the Liverpool game Suarez was booed which seemed to really piss Gus off, not seeing that if he didn't throw himself to the ground when touched we might no boo him.

Unfortunately I feel Gus would support Suarez if he shot someone dead in front of 1000s of witnesses.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are we out of step? Or just more civilised?

Given our own international squad regularly face monkey chants around places in Europe including Spain, I'd say we are a lot more civilised, although we do tend to boo national anthems (although not racist in itself, maybe just a bit jingoistic).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So following brovians argument, maybe we are over sensitive and we should follow the rest of the world and call everyone what the hell you like.

I wonder if it's the guilt complex of lording it over the world for hundreds of years?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Well said Gus! Thankyou for showing that free speech and free thinking is still possible in this country. The last forty-eight hours have made me doubt whether it is.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"I played football for seven years in Spain and was called everything because I was from South America, and I never went out crying like a baby, like Patrice Evra, saying that someone had said something to me."

I have to say I love Gus quite a bit less today than yesterday.

Finally Falmer

Jul 18, 2010
That was a truly shocking interview. Gus should be ashamed of himself, we should be ashamed to have him connected with our club.
The comment about not being able to say black was unbelievable. There will be serious ramifications as a result of this interview.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well said Gus! Thankyou for showing that free speech and free thinking is still possible in this country. The last forty-eight hours have made me doubt whether it is.

So free speech man..is it ok to call a black person a ******? Or a German a kraut, or a Jew a yid, or frenchman a frog?

Where do you draw the line, or don't you?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
FFS why did he have to get involved in the matter. Gus is an intelligent bloke and must have known what the response was going to be. I think this one may run and run....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Free speech surely entitles the freedom of speech of others to condone or condemn a statement, especially if that freedom of speech is to be bigoted, discriminatory, or racist in nature.

Gus is employed under FA rules and regulations, he is accountable for his statements and rightly scrutinised for ridiculous comments like the one he's just made. To suggest your own suffering of racist abuse for 7 years is some how acceptable for another to suffer is baffling to be honest. If I was the victim of abuse of any form, it would really not be my wish that peson suffering to just 'man up'.

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Considering you guys have to sit through 90 minutes of homophobia everywhere you go it makes his comments even more laughable.

Perhaps you should stop "crying like babies" about it?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
What an absolute mess. Gus really needs some PR training, or just learn when to say no comment. I would say a win tomorrow would help move this on, but bearing in mind everyone's complaints about Blatter trying to sweep things under the carpet, should we be happy to do this just because it's Gus?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
FFS why did he have to get involved in the matter. Gus is an intelligent bloke and must have known what the response was going to be. I think this one may run and run....

If he wanted to defend his friend, he could have easily said something like 'I know Suarez, I don't think he is a racist, and I don't think he would have meant to insult anyone in that way.'. Instead, he has a tirade against the supposed victim of the abuse (presumably he is not privy to any of the evidence submitted whether from Sky, witness statements and such), and suggests players should just get on with it like he did for 7 years in Spain. He is effectively saying you can racially abuse someone, and the other person needs to accept it.

Bizarrely, the fact he brings up his own abuse suffered in Spain for 7 years, suggests that did effect him!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The most important point here is WHAT was said by Suarez. What was the actual word and how does it translate. That's what matters.

If he said something obviously racist, Gus has been a plonker and shouldn't try to defend his mate.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Considering you guys have to sit through 90 minutes of homophobia everywhere you go it makes his comments even more laughable.

Perhaps you should stop "crying like babies" about it?

Trouble is it's only a couple of "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" types that are moaning about that. The fact the media have ran with it is hardly our fault.

Feel free to call us gaylords tomorrow as long as you don't get upset when we ask you to count your fingers. Waaaaaaarrrrrrppppppp!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
A monumental error by both Gus personally and by the club from a PR perspective. He should never have been allowed to do that interview.

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
The most interesting thing to watch is how on twitter, all the united fans are branding him a racist, but all the Liverpool fans are hailing him as god lol

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Ah well, good news for Mr Blatter. The self-righteous lynch mob can move onto Gus Poyet today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here