Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For the sake of his reputation and our club, Gus should never have passed comment on this. It's got nothing to do with him/us. This isn't good.

Hahaha journalistic skills. We've got a long wait for an article from Timmy that has any journalistic merit what so ever. I can only assume that the website he writes for is ran by a friend or he has photos of the editor with a prostitute and a donkey, there can be no other reason anyone would give him a writing job.

I have to agree with this. Any one remember his account of the pitch invader on here?

This is clumsy and poor, very poor and I'm disappointed with him. He shows a total lack of understanding and has jumped to a number of conclusions without knowing all the facts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unfortunate. Nothing wrong with what Gus says but the timing and the possible understanding makes his comments naive. He should have learnt by now that journalists will twist these things. People have lost their job for similar comments in the press.

Nothing wrong with calling someone who believes they have been racially abused a cry baby?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I heard Paul Elliot talking about this topic on Radio 5 the other night. A very smart, balanced, knowledgable and eloquent man. I cannot think of many former footballers like him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given the national press have picked this up, Gus' comments will also be a huge and unwelcome distraction before an important game, especially if Fergie replies.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Could it be fair to say that in Uruguay what constutes racism is different from here ??

Someone has mentioned the word apparently used and how it is used in Uruguay, also remember Gus quite openly called Baz 'Chino'.

Not defending Gus or Suarez but seems most of this is to do with the point of view whether what he said was racist

At least judging from 'negrito' and 'Chino', Uruguayans seem to have the good sense to be able to discriminate between people (spot a difference) without discriminating against them (i.e. making out that someone is better than someone else because they're different). Their use of racial terms seem to have an affectionate quality, something we're often unused to in this country. The Guardian article is most unhelpful in saying that Suarez is alleged to have called Evra a variation of the N-word at least times. From The Guardian writer's phrasing, it sounds like abuse. From knowledge of the word that was said, a strong case can be built to suggest that it was not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No chance of signing Evra in the January transfer window? :(

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I do Spanish (in particular the Latin American form of it) and I personally don't know the way they use 'negrito' but '-ito' is indeed generally a term of endearment. However, Gus has been in this country for far too long to realise that any variation of the word is racism here. He can't plead ignorance.

On the other hand I do understand his viewpoint; Suarez is a friend and Gus personally put up with a lot of racism, maybe at a time when speaking up wouldn't have been so effective. But his comments are entirely unprofessional and he should never have got himself and the club involved in this.

I have to agree with this. Any one remember his account of the pitch invader on here?

This is clumsy and poor, very poor and I'm disappointed with him. He shows a total lack of understanding and has jumped to a number of conclusions without knowing all the facts.

If what HB&B is saying is correct and there are other important facets to what Poyet said in the interview, aren't you jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts?
If what has been printed in the Guardian is everything that Poyet said, then he is indeed foolish, but was that all he said?

Sent from New York Maximum Security Penitentiary

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
As things stand Evra , WEEKS after the incident , has come up with no evidence bar his own word ..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If what HB&B is saying is correct and there are other important facets to what Poyet said in the interview, aren't you jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts?
If what has been printed in the Guardian is everything that Poyet said, then he is indeed foolish, but was that all he said?

Sent from New York Maximum Security Penitentiary

I am in no way jumping to conclusions when I suggest HBnB is incompetent when it comes to relaying simple facts. He demonstates it repeatedly. This was my point. HBnB should stay well away from this as I fear he will make matters worse. Give the tapes to someone else to report from, if there is extra context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here