Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The most important point here is WHAT was said by Suarez. What was the actual word and how does it translate. That's what matters.

If he said something obviously racist, Gus has been a plonker and shouldn't try to defend his mate.

Totally this. I'm assuming, since the two have a close relationship, that Suarez has told Gus what he said, and Gus doesn't believe that to be racist (probably a mistranslation from South American Spanish, as already suggested) and, speaking his mind as always, thinks that Evra overreacted to something that was not intended as a racist slur.

I'd rather we had a manager that speaks his mind. Sometimes I won't agree with what he says, sometimes I will, but it's much better than the usual cliched shit that is spouted out by most. He doesn't hide his feelings when asked and I like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

D

Deleted User X18H

A monumental error by both Gus personally and by the club from a PR perspective. He should never have been allowed to do that interview.

He was asked a question ( I won't say by who) and he answered it. Simple as that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has the man got no sense? Why on earth would he go on talkSPORT and risk digging a deeper hole for himself?

This just backs up previous comments at the start of the season about the club needing a PR department/spokesperson. Perry, Brown and Heppard are pretty poor in this department and in my opinion do not seem to know how to deal with the media or the public in general, and it seems the same holds for our manager.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Totally this. I'm assuming, since the two have a close relationship, that Suarez has told Gus what he said, and Gus doesn't believe that to be racist (probably a mistranslation from South American Spanish, as already suggested) and, speaking his mind as always, thinks that Evra overreacted to something that was not intended as a racist slur.

I'd rather we had a manager that speaks his mind. Sometimes I won't agree with what he says, sometimes I will, but it's much better than the usual cliched shit that is spouted out by most. He doesn't hide his feelings when asked and I like that.

OR

It was racist, Gus knows it was racist and he is defending racism just because he "put up with it".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think it would be fine if had said just that. But he hasn't, he's said that he had 7 years of racist abuse in Spain, and that Evra is a cry baby and should get on with it. He's had an absolute shocker, he really has.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
He was asked a question ( I won't say be who) and he answered it. Simple as that.

I was referring to the talksport interview this morning.

But since we're on the subject of the original question, I assume that the club have some kind of PR person at these press conferences who ought to have been aware that the FA has explicitly asked for no comments to be made about the racism claims and stepped in immediately pointing this fact out to the person who asked the question and preventing Gus answer.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He clearly should not have commented but I'd rather have a totally honest manager that one ran by a f***ing PR. Easier to keep your mouth shut, yes, but if he's asked a question honestly then I don't have too much of a problem with it. He's not exactly backing up Suarez as a racist is he? He's saying he doesn't think was Suarez was saying was a racist slur and that he think Suarez should not have been charged (and labelled a racist) before the facts have been confirmed.

He should NOT have used the words cry baby though, that was ill judged.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good luck to the press team at the club today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am sorry but his comments are an absolute disgrace.

Totally agree.

I'd be happy if he said he supported Suarez and didn't think he was racist or what he supposedly said was racist, but the other stuff, the claim that players should just accept it and not be cry babies is the disgraceful part. That's gone beyond the Suarez incident into a general comment. Shocker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder how long it will be before the club makes an official statement on Gus's comments.

I doubt they will, as they do not seem to have any PR. Knowing what Perry and co are like they will be blaming the media for this. They really need to get it into their heads that the media exist and act a certain way whether they like it or not.....and learn to deal with it in a professional manner to their advantage.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
His been an idiot. He has put a unwanted spotlight on the club.

But we have been calling for blatter to resign after his comments, not sure how to think on this as its far closer to home. Suarez is his mate but he has lived here long enough to understand the comments used are not accepted.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think it would be fine if had said just that. But he hasn't, he's said that he had 7 years of racist abuse in Spain, and that Evra is a cry baby and should get on with it. He's had an absolute shocker, he really has.

Maybe he knows a lot more than we know on the matter, considering he is friends with one of the involved, and believes that Evra is acting like a baby over something that was nowhere near as bad as the media are suggesting.

He could have said something far worse to Evra without any possible racist connotations and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here