Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Personaly, I dont think he is in the wrong, we dont know for a fact Suaze actualy said this, example if I went to the police and said someone asaulted me but no-one saw it and the person I was acussing said he didnt, would the police take it further? ? ? the answer is no, I think that is the point Poyet is making, appreciate his comment about he did not complain when in spain was possibly a bit daft but again he was just proving a point, two teams playing competivly there will be some kind of friction,
I will now complain if I hear anyone at the AMEX say a player is fat, bald,ginger or just rubbish, we are all guilty of some kind of predudice rightly or wrongly and even us with best intentions who generaly are not predudice are included in that.
Also you need to remember this is the press talking to a very excitable man who still has broken english, could any of it have been taken out of context? ? We all took the piss about "ess complicated" which in its self is technicaly rasist, then e found out there was no english translation for Difficult, he also sticking up for a faind who has said he did not say those things, if it was one of our mates who you not to be a racist would you beleive him? ?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Totally this. I'm assuming, since the two have a close relationship, that Suarez has told Gus what he said, and Gus doesn't believe that to be racist (probably a mistranslation from South American Spanish, as already suggested) and, speaking his mind as always, thinks that Evra overreacted to something that was not intended as a racist slur.

I'd rather we had a manager that speaks his mind. Sometimes I won't agree with what he says, sometimes I will, but it's much better than the usual cliched shit that is spouted out by most. He doesn't hide his feelings when asked and I like that.

It's fair enough if you don't agree about his appraisal on a player's performance or something, but to say his comments that a person who feels they have been racially abused shouldn't make a complaint is very wrong and not something you can really stand by and applaud as he "is just speaking his mind"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He clearly should not have commented but I'd rather have a totally honest manager that one ran by a f***ing PR. Easier to keep your mouth shut, yes, but if he's asked a question honestly then I don't have too much of a problem with it. He's not exactly backing up Suarez as a racist is he? He's saying he doesn't think was Suarez was saying was a racist slur and that he think Suarez should not have been charged (and labelled a racist) before the facts have been confirmed.

He should NOT have used the words cry baby though, that was ill judged.

True, no one wants him to be a PR puppet. But, if you comment about something which is so topical and sensitive there is surely a duty to choose words carefully. There was an alternative to his comments which did not involve silence.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Hmm.

I doubt even Liverpool are that happy; Suarez (and LFC) have maintained that he said nothing wrong, yet Gus is effectively saying, "People say stuff all the time, get over it", which implies LS *did* say something but it should be swept under the carpet.

Wow. Not good.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was referring to the talksport interview this morning.

But since we're on the subject of the original question, I assume that the club have some kind of PR person at these press conferences who ought to have been aware that the FA has explicitly asked for no comments to be made about the racism claims and stepped in immediately pointing this fact out to the person who asked the question and preventing Gus answer.

I can't comment on the Talksport interview but the Guardian article written by someone who wasn't even there, I think is unfair on Gus.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He clearly should not have commented but I'd rather have a totally honest manager that one ran by a f***ing PR. Easier to keep your mouth shut, yes, but if he's asked a question honestly then I don't have too much of a problem with it. He's not exactly backing up Suarez as a racist is he? He's saying he doesn't think was Suarez was saying was a racist slur and that he think Suarez should not have been charged (and labelled a racist) before the facts have been confirmed.

He should NOT have used the words cry baby though, that was ill judged.

No one is denying he has every right to support Suarez, it's the implication that someone who believes they have been racially abused is a cry baby for reporting it.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Maybe he knows a lot more than we know on the matter, considering he is friends with one of the involved, and believes that Evra is acting like a baby over something that was nowhere near as bad as the media are suggesting.

He could have said something far worse to Evra without any possible racist connotations and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Your missing the point he said as he put up with racist abuse for years others should accept it and not be cry babys. Them comments are shocking.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Gus is effectively saying, "People say stuff all the time, get over it", which implies LS *did* say something but it should be swept under the carpet.

Agree, this is the worst part. If he'd have said "Luis Suarez is not racist, I believe it was taken out of context", then that's fine. But the way it's come out is VERY similar to what Blatter said. It's like an acceptance that it goes on all of the time and people should just deal with it...

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
Racism is ok right up until someone gets hurt. Let me clarify that statement a bit, terrible as it sounds. I'm perfectly capable of being casually racist with my black friends as a joke and they're happy to return it in kind and no-one at all is offended it's just ribbing between mates. I would NEVER say something that could be construed as racist in front of someone I didn't know or someone I do who might take offence at it. Suarez is the very definition of a horrible little bugger though so I have no doubt in my mind that he insulted Evra and should be reported. Gus is right in the sense that in the world today (particularly England,) pc has gone absolutely mad, it's starting to get ridiculous but discrimination based on race/religion/credo is never acceptable and if Evra genuinely was offended that seriously he was right to report it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe he knows a lot more than we know on the matter, considering he is friends with one of the involved, and believes that Evra is acting like a baby over something that was nowhere near as bad as the media are suggesting.

He could have said something far worse to Evra without any possible racist connotations and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

That doesn't really matter though. The FA have charged Suarez, it is an ongoing case. He should have saved his criticism of Evra until after Suarez is cleared. It is a shocking statement whatever way you look at it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No one is denying he has every right to support Suarez, it's the implication that someone who believes they have been racially abused is a cry baby for reporting it.

The word implication always makes me feel uneasy in these cases.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Hmm.

I doubt even Liverpool are that happy; Suarez (and LFC) have maintained that he said nothing wrong, yet Gus is effectively saying, "People say stuff all the time, get over it", which implies LS *did* say something but it should be swept under the carpet.

Wow. Not good.

that is what the journalists want you to believe. But if you read the article carefully you will see he says he thinks Suarez did not say anything.

Personally I don't think he did say anything and after the whole World Cup debacle with France I have no respect for Evra and I personally think it has all been made up by him. How have no youtube videos like with the John Terry incident found their way online with Suarez saying the N-word 10 times supposedly.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
"get up you poof he never touched you"
"that was not a foul you fat prick"
"you f***ing welsh ****"
"dirty northern bastard"
"your family are all criminal, fk off you dirty oz wanker" Cant remember the player Australian at withdean winding the crowd up
All things ive heard at football and not from the worst kind of people, and some around defently not homophobics or racists

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't comment on the Talksport interview but the Guardian article written by someone who wasn't even there, I think is unfair on Gus.

He was torn apart on Talksport apparently.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Suarez is the very definition of a horrible little bugger though so I have no doubt in my mind that he insulted Evra and should be reported..

But what if he didn't? That's the exact issue here. As far as Poyet sees it he thinks Evra has NOT been racially insulted yet Suarez is being charged with it anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here