Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet not happy

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Far more experienced managers with a greater understanding of the English language and culture have said much worse. He spoke as a fan - who does the 'I'm bored' quote really effect.

This. The guy has an obligation to talk to the press and say something. Even though his English is very good, he is not a native and, as someone who is in a similar situation in a foreign country (foreign language speaking - not football management!), I can tell you it really is not always easy to perfectly express your feelings in another language!
I think the fact that he's trying to express frustration is pretty normal.
All you moaners, think yourselves lucky if you are able to get to the Amex often, and save your energy to make some positive noise and get behind the team!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus is a perfectionist , not surprised that he is bored (as in pissed off rather than disinterested).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Although you'll get grief for that statement. I think good sir, you may have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for that. Gus in my opinion has cooked his goose. He has assembled a reasonable squad. He likes to retain the ball but goals win games and we do not score enough. His vision is flawed. Teams know how to undo our tactics. He's bereft of ideas of how to counter those. Last season it was obvious, this season it is, perhaps more so. He is the Wenger of the Championship. Somewhere near but never quite there.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
An 18 year old who isn't setting the world alight in league 2? Yeah sounds the ideal person to turn a side with premier league aspirations around. What's happen to Jake Robinson now anyway?
It's comments like that that make me wonder what some fans know about football. Do u think if u put jack Wilshire in league 2 he would rip it to pieces no he wouldn't because the players wouldn't be making the quality runs or on the same wave length as him. jfc is the sort of player that the better players he is playing with the better he will look.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is a perfectionist , not surprised that he is bored (as in pissed off rather than disinterested).

I also think that 'bored' may have lost something in translation, I'm sure he meant bored in the sense of 'utterly fed up'. And fair enough, he speaks for me there.

In the meantime, could all the strikers, and indeed anyone getting within the whites of the opposition goalkeeper's eyes, spend some time examining the marksmanship shown in THIS smiley...

:goal::goal::goal::goal:

Thank you.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
It's comments like that that make me wonder what some fans know about football. Do u think if u put jack Wilshire in league 2 he would rip it to pieces no he wouldn't because the players wouldn't be making the quality runs or on the same wave length as him. jfc is the sort of player that the better players he is playing with the better he will look.

Good post. David Beckham didn't tear the league apart when he was loaned out from Man Utd when he was 17? Look what he did on his return.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

I know a damn sight more than 'panic, recall the 18 year old from league 2 and pin our hopes on him being the person to lead us to the premier league'. Yes, Jack Wiltshire would still dictate games. Would he be as good as he is at Arsenal? No. Would he still run the show? Yes.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry for being so positive - I know it's not the preferred style but...

Let's remember that a few years ago we were languishing at the bottom of League 1, and had been for a couple of years. Nothing looked like it was going to change. Then Gus came in and completely redeveloped the club from top to bottom. He got us promoted out of a competitive League 1 season with games to spare and last season we consolidated our place in the Championship. In addition to this his changes to the style of training for the DS and youth teams will have long lasting benefits long after he has gone. For these reasons, although it is a little frustrating at the moment, I am more than willing to cut Gus a little bit of slack. We are in the top 10 of the Championship! Some people seem to have very short memories but there we are....

this this this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get behind the team

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I know a damn sight more than 'panic, recall the 18 year old from league 2 and pin our hopes on him being the person to lead us to the premier league'. Yes, Jack Wiltshire would still dictate games. Would he be as good as he is at Arsenal? No. Would he still run the show? Yes.

But we lack options u can't have 4 players fighting for 3 places in are mid and the all offer you similar things.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But we lack options u can't have 4 players fighting for 3 places in are mid and the all offer you similar things.

We don't have to play 3 CMS like that though. Dobbie was brought in as the Vicente replacement. Our formation baffles me to be honest. I'd like to see us go back to more of a diamond with Bridcutt holding and Dobbie/Lopez behind a front 2 of CMS and a decent target man.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Gus might not be happy, but it appears that a couple of posters on this site are f***ing loving it tonight.
Sad.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
10 years ago I'd have been happy just to have had an opportunity to play a fixture against a team like Leicester - remember that this was the club that Micky Adams wanted to manage in the PREMIERSHIP, when he walked out on us - which speaks volumes for the 'small-time' club we were at the time.

People need to get a sense of perspective and wind their necks in. Where were all the moaners who have recently appeared on here when we were shit at Gillingham? Were you moaning then about Jamie Moralle, Michael Mahoney-Johnson, Stafford Browne, Glenn Thomas and Simon Wormhull ?

Brighton fans, fair weather and fickle, just like David Bellotti said they were.........

If you fickle fans want something to REALLY moan about, then study the record of points gained in 1997 -98

1 Notts. County 3 Dec L 0-1 11 Apr D 2-2 1 / 6
2 Macclesfield Town 16 Aug D 1-1 27 Jan L 0-1 1 / 6
3 Lincoln City 22 Oct L 0-1 2 May L 1-2 0 / 6
4 Colchester United 26 Dec D 4-4 8 Sep L 1-3 1 / 6
5 Torquay United 7 Feb L 1-4 20 Sep L 0-3 0 / 6
6 Scarborough 24 Jan D 1-1 22 Aug L 1-2 1 / 6
7 Barnet 5 Nov L 0-3 14 Mar L 0-2 0 / 6
8 Scunthorpe United 4 Apr W 2-1 29 Nov W 2-0 6 / 6
9 Rotherham United 8 Nov L 1-2 3 Mar D 0-0 1 / 6
10 Peterborough United 3 Sep D 2-2 28 Dec W 2-1 4 / 6
11 Leyton Orient 30 Aug L 0-1 17 Jan L 1-3 0 / 6
12 Mansfield Town 13 Apr D 1-1 13 Dec D 1-1 2 / 6
13 Shrewsbury Town 20 Dec D 0-0 18 Apr L 1-2 1 / 6
14 Chester City 28 Feb W 3-2 11 Oct L 0-2 3 / 6
15 Exeter City 18 Oct L 1-3 24 Feb L 1-2 0 / 6
16 Cambridge United 21 Mar L 0-2 18 Nov D 1-1 1 / 6
17 Hartlepool United 7 Mar D 0-0 1 Nov D 0-0 2 / 6
18 Rochdale 27 Sep W 2-1 21 Feb L 0-2 3 / 6
19 Darlington 13 Sep D 0-0 31 Jan L 0-1 1 / 6
20 Swansea City 10 Jan L 0-1 9 Aug L 0-1 0 / 6
21 Cardiff City 22 Nov L 0-1 28 Mar D 0-0 1 / 6
22 Hull City 25 Apr D 2-2 25 Oct D 0-0 2 / 6
24 Doncaster Rovers 14 Feb D 0-0 4 Oct W 3-1 4 / 6

Yeah that's right, we managed a grand total of NIL points agianst teams like Lincoln, Torquay, Barnet, Orient and Exeter.

The Johnny Come Lately's on here need to remember just how badly this club was on it's knees back then, and give a prayer in thanks that they still have a club to support.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for that. Gus in my opinion has cooked his goose. He has assembled a reasonable squad. He likes to retain the ball but goals win games and we do not score enough. His vision is flawed. Teams know how to undo our tactics. He's bereft of ideas of how to counter those. Last season it was obvious, this season it is, perhaps more so. He is the Wenger of the Championship. Somewhere near but never quite there.

Yes, so much so we get battered every game.

We have a reasonable squad in a reasonable position, and still - despite what the impatient people think - is still in transition.

It's like the first five matches didn't count for some people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What on earth 1997 has got to do with anything is beyond me. :shrug:

But pissed off as we all are, it's worth remembering:
-We still have a massive goal difference because we are ruining the gash sides
-We don't concede many, so even in this rut that is something to build on
-Despite his shortcomings, there aren't many realistic alternatives to Gus that I could think I'd want.
-We finished tenth last season. It's only failure if we don't finish top six. 12 games in, and its not exactly a mountain to climb.
- Leicester are top. How much money and how many managers has it taken for them to enjoy their two weeks in the sun?

Food for thought. Let's not give up on Gus just yet.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Gus might not be happy, but it appears that a couple of posters on this site are f***ing loving it tonight.
Sad.

100%

"ooh we're losing, my opinion has been vindicated and I'll ignore the games we've won this season, our defensive strength, and anything positive..."

"fans" can be complete twats at times with their vitriolic nonsense.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The short corners Gus....PLEASE if you are going to insist we play short corners then set us up to do it, don't have Bridcutt getting committed into crossing on his left foot leaving a HUGE gap for the opposition to break into. We nearly gave away two goals last night directly from an attacking corner, unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here