Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet not happy

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, so much so we get battered every game.

We have a reasonable squad in a reasonable position, and still - despite what the impatient people think - is still in transition.

It's like the first five matches didn't count for some people.

Fine but we have better players than last year, but still the "Gus way" of playing is not working. He bemoans the fact that he couldn't get another forward in but nearly every other club manages it. He tactics do absolutely nothing when we're chasing the game. My comment that he is like Wenger is that he steadfastly refuses to change his tactics and that is hurting us. We are a club on the rise, the best supported in the league, if the club wants to retain this support something needs to happen on the pitch. If we drift this season into the pack there might not be the rush to renew ST's for next year.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fine but we have better players than last year, but still the "Gus way" of playing is not working. He bemoans the fact that he couldn't get another forward in but nearly every other club manages it. He tactics do absolutely nothing when we're chasing the game. My comment that he is like Wenger is that he steadfastly refuses to change his tactics and that is hurting us. We are a club on the rise, the best supported in the league, if the club wants to retain this support something needs to happen on the pitch. If we drift this season into the pack there might not be the rush to renew ST's for next year.

Every club at some point is going to spend time 'drifting into the pack'; it's the nature of this division. What makes us think we're above that?

We finished the game last night with four strikers, plus a midfielder with a supposedly more attacking bent. We finished the match on Saturday with five forwards. Plus, unless you watched a different game to me, I saw us batter Middlesbrough in the second half, doing everything but score. So doing 'absolutely nothing' is clearly nonsense.

The tactics and performance were in place to beat Middlesbrough - but the finishing wasn't. You can be a slave to the blame culture if you wish, but at the point where Hammond has a free header in the six-yard box, or Crofts is unmarked eight yards out, or CMS with a clear sight on goal, it's interesting that you and others choose to blame someone not on the pitch for those experienced professionals bollocksing up those chances.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Jesus so we lost 1-0 in a piss poor game. I woke up this morning still had all my family alive a job and a roof over my head. Gone to work, had a cup of tea, laughed at some of the shit on here, will go home spend time with my baby , go to bed and do it all again the next day. Put things in perspective for feck sake. Yes it is boring and negative sometimes and we dont score even after skying a penalty rebound, but if you don't like it take your money elsewhere and do something that really livens up your life like.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jesus so we lost 1-0 in a piss poor game. I woke up this morning still had all my family alive a job and a roof over my head. Gone to work, had a cup of tea, laughed at some of the shit on here, will go home spend time with my baby , go to bed and do it all again the next day. Put things in perspective for feck sake. Yes it is boring and negative sometimes and we dont score even after skying a penalty rebound, but if you don't like it take your money elsewhere and do something that really livens up your life like.

and one nil to a side yet to drop a point at home

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Every club at some point is going to spend time 'drifting into the pack'; it's the nature of this division. What makes us think we're above that?

We finished the game last night with four strikers, plus a midfielder with a supposedly more attacking bent. We finished the match on Saturday with five forwards. Plus, unless you watched a different game to me, I saw us batter Middlesbrough in the second half, doing everything but score. So doing 'absolutely nothing' is clearly nonsense.

The tactics and performance were in place to beat Middlesbrough - but the finishing wasn't. You can be a slave to the blame culture if you wish, but at the point where Hammond has a free header in the six-yard box, or Crofts is unmarked eight yards out, or CMS with a clear sight on goal, it's interesting that you and others choose to blame someone not on the pitch for those experienced professionals bollocksing up those chances.

The first line sums it up....also seems obvious to me that with some peeps and poyet its a personality thing...so no matter what the team do on the pitch they are always going to have a poke at him.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Haven't we conceded the least amount of goals in the league, also not conceded more than 1 goal in a league game all season.

To me, that suggests the defence is doing its job.

It's goals we need, GOALS !

So you'd be happy with us losing games 1-0? a loss is a loss.

If we don't concede a goal, then we don't lose and it's more likely that we will snatch a goal as we're not having to chase the game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So you'd be happy with us losing games 1-0? a loss is a loss.

If we don't concede a goal, then we don't lose and it's more likely that we will snatch a goal as we're not having to chase the game.
i doubt very much that the poster is happy with the team losing...but say the team were being thrashed 4 nil ...would you be saying the defence seems ok?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Pretty much agree with you and I an a litle confused by the abuse being spilled on here we are all fustrated by the situation. Sometimes it is more annoying when you are this close than when we were clearly shite. The tactics have made us the best defence in the league, the best possession in the league, amongst the highest number of shots in the league but we still we have one fundamental problem we could not score in a brothel but is that down to tactics or players lack of ability/luck/judgment etc?
I am not saying that Gus is perfect he is not but and the club made no secret that this was a 5 year plan on a restricted budget, securing the defence has been achieved and the midfield is improving that will keep us in this league, but GOOD strikers are hard to come by and not cheap they are the jewel in the crown.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think again, as last season we were fooled into thinking the season was over after 3 games and that we were unbeatable.

it was obvious that by now teams would have worked out how to play us and at the end of last year, they had done that. They have just carried it over into this year and apart from adding newer players, we basically play the same system.

Who would have thought that the addition of Hammond and Crofts would not bring about a C Change in our game.....our two fullbacks are class players and yet, creation and conversion of chances ratio remains pitifully low.

I firmly believe that Gus' tactics are dont lose first and try to win second! On the whole this is working apart from a couple of recent games although it does seem obvious now that when chances are created, we have not the players to convert them...I am sure that is what Gus meant by getting bored, ie telling them over and over to get in positions to score and then convert...which they are doing the former, but not the latter.

KLL and Buckley are not firing yet and i think this is a lot of where our problems lie.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's surely about the function of the machine and tweaking with the engine rather than buying a new car that itself will die its own death within a couple of years. It's Gus' job to oil the cogs and polish the nobs and suck out that gunk from the exhaust pipe, and maybe even look to buy a new sound system to insert into the dashboard and wow the neighbours with its thundering and unapologetic orchestra of poetic din.

We're not a finished article. In fact far from it. But to rampantly desire everything to alter and make out we're a walking disaster is really the opinion of the panic-stricken and the fool.

We're slowly building and undeniably improving year on year. I rather doubt Gus and his team sit self-pleasedly about how far we've come and loiter without regard of a bad run of form. He's an ambitious person and ideally the players feed off of that ambition, alongside his enthusiasm and love of the beautiful game. I'm happy he's not happy. If he was, then the players would run home satisfied with another tight defeat and never look to make improvements of themselves. Such players would be of little use to us.
For now, i think it's important to do what one can to stick with the most of a starting 11 so that they can really get going together. The back 5 is there to stay, i hope. Bridcutt is a rock in the centre. Cms is a surefire start. Buckley has the talent, if fit, to maraud and plunder. I like that team. So that just leaves 3 spaces for the rest of the squad to fight for. Tinkering is all that's necessary. If that means giving Hoskins a go on occasion, then great. If current form means we need Vicente fit to come off of the bench and really wallop a thunderbolt home, then sobeit. Maybe it means we do need that elusive frontman that it's so hard to find and find the funds to afford, but this all doesn't spell catastrophe or force us to burn down the house we've only partly built and are still burying bodies under the patio of.

So please, stop being crybabies you oh so regular repeaters and determiners to bring everyone else down, and frigging well at least for a moment see the good in things. I still feel hopeful and enjoy what we do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
GP: "It doesn't matter how you play, it's about scoring goals and we've been like this for the last five games. I'm getting bored

Poyet is getting pissed off

The actual quote (according to the BBC) was:

"I have been saying the same thing for the last four or five weeks. No matter how you play, how well you pass the ball and keep the ball it is all about scoring goals. I am getting bored listening to myself because it is always the same".

It gives a bit of a different slant on the remark when you quote the rest of his sentence.

Still, 8 page BINFEST ensues, so job done I suppose.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I feel the need to come to Gus' defence here.

I am definitely not in the camp of "look where we have come from", and do expect success from the team; however I feel Gus' frustration.

Having an extremely frugal defence and missing chances to score is incredibly frustrating for both manager and fans. Clearly Gus has set us up to be hard to beat, which in my opinion is absolutely the right thing to do. If our opposition struggles to score against us and we can make the most of the chances we get (however few that might be) then we are heading in the right direction.

The main frustration lies with not taking advantage of said opportunities to score. Whether the "big lump" is the answer to our woes I doubt very highly. Goal scoring is as much about confidence as it is about skill and we are just going through a little bit of a slump.

As long as we keep creating chances all we need to do is put a few away and we will be back to winning ways.

In Gus we should all trust, as I cannot see there being a better alternative out there.

Long live tika-taka

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here