Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus playing to the crowd in the West Stand

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to be amused and quite enjoy this but recently it's started to grate. Sarcastically clapping the ref for giving us a decision, holding his arms out and pulling faces to the stand when a decision goes against us when we are a goal down, earbending the 4th official and generally behaving a bit like a spoilt kid who's had his ball nicked. He also comes across as a bit mental sometimes with his rants. I know he's a fan at heart so maybe I'm being harsh.

I have been the 1st to criticise past managers who look like they don't care, standing or sitting with arms crossed and showing no emotion but I think he needs to reign it in at the moment. I imagine that sub consciously, at least, refs think "f*** him" and don't give us decisions that they might otherwise have done.

Thoughts?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You're being too negative. We're all frustrated so little things are annoying us more than before?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I used to be amused and quite enjoy this but recently it's started to grate. Sarcastically clapping the ref for giving us a decision, holding his arms out and pulling faces to the stand when a decision goes against us when we are a goal down, earbending the 4th official and generally behaving a bit like a spoilt kid who's had his ball nicked. He also comes across as a bit mental sometimes with his rants. I know he's a fan at heart so maybe I'm being harsh.

I have been the 1st to criticise past managers who look like they don't care, standing or sitting with arms crossed and showing no emotion but I think he needs to reign it in at the moment. I imagine that sub consciously, at least, refs think "f*** him" and don't give us decisions that they might otherwise have done.

Thoughts?

Why don't penguins feet freeze ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quite possibly Sheebo :shrug:

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

Thoughts?

I generally behave in a similar fashion in east stand upper. Although I have no access to the 4th official sadly. So it's probably best I don't comment.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I used to be amused and quite enjoy this but recently it's started to grate. Sarcastically clapping the ref for giving us a decision, holding his arms out and pulling faces to the stand when a decision goes against us when we are a goal down, earbending the 4th official and generally behaving a bit like a spoilt kid who's had his ball nicked. He also looks a bit mental sometimes with his rants. I know he's a fan at heart so maybe I'm being harsh.

Thoughts?

Can help but agree. Fine when your winning, but when your losing it makes him look a fool.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Another moan yawn.

I wouldn't want Gus to change his ways as it wouldn't be him.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

Thoughts?
Why have you not mentioned chuckling to himself and making a 'zip my mouth' gesture when we were given a throw we shouldn't have in the second half? Perhaps it doesn't fit your argument? I think the guy is just an expressive and entertaining extrovert. I quite often look across to the dugout at times just to see his reactions and they are usually quality entertainment. He's been like it since his first game as our manager and I for one love him for it

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why have you not mentioned chuckling to himself and making a 'zip my mouth' gesture when we were given a throw we shouldn't have in the second half? Perhaps it doesn't fit your argument? I think the guy is just an expressive and entertaining extrovert. I quite often look across to the dugout at times just to see his reactions and they are usually quality entertainment. He's been like it since his first game as our manager and I for one love him for it

Fair comment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Another moan yawn.

I wouldn't want Gus to change his ways as it wouldn't be him.

Not really a moan, I just wonder if it doesn't actually help our cause. I accept that it's part of his charisma and nature, which is why I finished with "thoughts"? Thanks for yours :smile:

I actually don't see any of it, I am assuming that all the time Gus is doing this I am probably directing my own tirades at referees or fallen down fatally wounded opposition players and such like.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I dont think it helps at all. Especially the sacaric clapping of the ref,

But then if he's blaming everything on the referee, his sheep on here will then post threads about how shit the ref was and how it cost us, rather than asking why the f*** we played so narrow against a team that camped in their own half.

Quite clever from Gus really, when you think about it.

I dont think it helps at all. Especially the sacaric clapping of the ref,

But then if he's blaming everything on the referee, his sheep on here will then post threads about how shit the ref was and how it cost us, rather than asking why the f*** we played so narrow against a team that camped in their own half.

Quite clever from Gus really, when you think about it.

It worked at the weekend. Someone on here dug out an article from five years ago about Gus having a row with Andy D'Urso and hey presto, blame averted. The bloke should be a politician.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here