Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite for Swansea job

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Gus or Holloway?......If I was chairman of Brighton I know who my choice would be as well. At least we might see some goals and get some laughs out of the man.

Ditto this

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Must admit Im worried about these two jobs because they are within Gus's range. I think Norwich won't happen as Gus is the wrong type of manager for that team. But Swansea's style is absolutely Gus. The questions is does Gus see more potential at Brighton or Swansea?

I really hope he stays and he has said nothing to say he'll go but if he thinks there is enough there at Swansea to keep them out and play his style and there is money available he may just take it if offered.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
that is exactly it...other than a league 1 promotion, what else is on his cv? Nothing!

Brendan Rogers took Swansea who were favourites for the drop in the championship and got them promoted. He then, with the same squad kept them in the premier league against all odds and led then to 12th in the table.

Now THAT is an achievement!

Gus has done nothing to prove that he could be a Premier league manager yet and clubs won't take a gamble on that record.

Rodgers also took a bunch of local young players, and some more well known journeymen .... and turned them into a possession team but playing fast flowing fantastic football.

I witnessed this in their promotion season, long before the London hacks starting praising them after their promotion.

Gus and his team is still a work in progress, with a negativity in possession often. Not entirely Gus's fault, as many of our players on our lower budget so far, haven't the class of the well paid Dyer, Britton, Rangel, Allen, Pratley & Sinclair.

That's where TB & Gus are aiming ... hopefully soon in this transfer window.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
that is exactly it...other than a league 1 promotion, what else is on his cv? Nothing!

Brendan Rogers took Swansea who were favourites for the drop in the championship and got them promoted. He then, with the same squad kept them in the premier league against all odds and led then to 12th in the table.

Now THAT is an achievement!

Gus has done nothing to prove that he could be a Premier league manager yet and clubs won't take a gamble on that record.

But Rogers is going to Liverpool ... we're talking about taking over at a very modest Prem club

I agree Gus hasn't got much on his CV but I think there's way more than that to be considered. It's as much about "potential" and simply how he handles himself and the "spin" that's created. He's done well for Brighton no doubt and will be building a solid reputation as a bright young Manager who plays attractive football etc etc. He took us from verge of relegation to promotion in less than 2 years and may well argue that he could have done it again last year with a few more resources (I don't agree btw but Gus does keep banging on about it) Also, in his short career as Manager he has never failed ... that's pretty important too. When you look at the contenders Gus sits OK alongside them ... Hughton obv didn't get the best out of Newcastle and it's debatable what success he's had at Brum I think ... Holloway is a bit of a loose canon and a risk for sure .. then you got the normal out of work ex Prem Managers. No I reckon Gus stacks up OK ... weather or not well enough I don't know but I can see one of Swansea or Norwich having a look and if they did want him I reckon he'd be off in a shot

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
But Rogers is going to Liverpool ... we're talking about taking over at a very modest Prem club

I agree Gus hasn't got much on his CV but I think there's way more than that to be considered. It's as much about "potential" and simply how he handles himself and the "spin" that's created. He's done well for Brighton no doubt and will be building a solid reputation as a bright young Manager who plays attractive football etc etc. Also, in his short career as Manager he has never failed ... that's pretty important too. When you look at the contenders Gus sits OK alongside them ... Hughton obv didn't get the best out of Newcastle and it's debatable what success he's had at Brum I think ... Holloway is a bit of a loose canon and a risk for sure .. then you got the normal out of work ex Prem Managers. No I reckon Gus stacks up OK ... weather or not well enough I don't know but I can see one of Swansea or Norwich having a look and if they did want him I reckon he'd be off in a shot

Very modest? You wish.
The club with a near £200m income, winner of a mass of siverware in the last 11 seasons, and collosal fan base in the UK and overseas.
Rebuilding after the destruction caused by Hicks & Gillett.

You can see why the excellent Rodgers has grabbed the chance.

Very modest? You wish.
The club with a near £200m income, winner of a mass of siverware in the last 11 seasons, and collosal fan base in the UK and overseas.
Rebuilding after the destruction caused by Hicks & Gillett.

You can see why the excellent Rodgers has grabbed the chance.

I think the reference to "modest" was aimed at Swansea, not Liverpool

D

Deleted member 22389

Swansea and all the others need to come to a decision asap about who they are going to appoint.
The longer this goes on, the chances are it could bugger up our season. We still need to sign some players and Gus is a big part of that.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think the reference to "modest" was aimed at Swansea, not Liverpool

....and more importantly, Swansea have played the type of football that Gus likes, it may be a tempter for him...... but , 1) does Gus have a release clause in his contract, 2) Albion can just say no to any approach if not.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The fact that Swansea's style is not dis-similar to Gus' is, for me, a total red herring.

Wherever Gus went, he would impose his own style anyway. The fact that he wouldn't have to change so much with Swansea isn't reason enough for him to decamp there. Nor is them being in the Premiership yet. The man understandably wants glory, and he'll get far more taking a side up to the Premiership.

Aside from that, a move to Swansea doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The fact that Swansea's style is not dis-similar to Gus' is, for me, a total red herring.

Wherever Gus went, he would impose his own style anyway. The fact that he wouldn't have to change so much with Swansea isn't reason enough for him to decamp there. Nor is them being in the Premiership yet. The man understandably wants glory, and he'll get far more taking a side up to the Premiership.

Aside from that, a move to Swansea doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

Couldn't agree more. This sums it up perfectly for me. I'm certain Gus will not go to Swansea ( or Wigan ).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I love the fact that Aston Villa have potentially made the MUCH better appointment between them and Liverpool. Rodgers will be sacked by Christmas and Liverpool will continue to be a laughing stock, book it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting to see Gus is still 4th favourite for Villa and 2nd favourite for Swansea above a lot of championship managers and teams that finished above us. I would have thought that Holloway and Houghton would have been above gus in the pecking order for both.
When it comes to sports results, I listen to bookies more than most pundits - the bookies make a living out of getting it right. But on these manager specials, it's all a bit silly and bookies have to shorten odds at the slightest whiff of interest in case there's someone in the know. That said, the bookies still don't think Gus is going to either Swansea or Villa.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And reported today, that he struggled to get a job in League 1, so has now gone to Cyprus.

Burley's fall from grace began with bad sgnings at Ipswich but was, allegedly, not entirely unconnected with a certain habit that also affected Brian Clough and Howard Kendall.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If Gus went to Swansea, anything other than a finish comparable to Rodgers would deemed as a failure, eg; "he didnt finish as high as Brendon"
Also there is the chance of second season syndrone, Swansea may struggle more next season because teams have sussed them out.
So I think Gus will stay.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Sure the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Ipswich Derby wouldn't agree with that. It's a stepping stone for Gus ... keep Swansea in Prem for 2 years and job done ... that's when the big boys will come sniffing.

Realistically we've got to serve our time in Championship which is 5/6 years or something (unless we get lucky like Blackpool, Norwich, SCCC) ... and even then Gus doesn't do much better than a lower-mid table team

He's ambitious, no loyalty to Brighton and I don't blame him, he'll move on at first (upward) opportunity for sure

Realistically I think you've got a very good chance of being promoted next season. There's no reason why a club must "serve its time" in The Championship.
B&HA "got lucky" when Tony Bloom was wise enough to appoint Poyet. They'll need a bit of good fortune, as everybody does, to gain promotion to The PL; but the main thing they'll need, alongside Mr Bloom and his money, is Gus Poyet. If you lose him then you really will need to "get lucky" with your next managerial appointment.
I still say Poyet would be foolish to take the Swansea job, although I understand the area around Swansea is a beautiful part of the world. Norwich might be a little more sensible, but guiding B&HA into the top-flight and establishing them there makes the most sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here