Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite for Swansea job

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't understand why so many posters are getting their knickers in a twist? When Gus goes BHA will bring in a suitable replacement to continue, and ultimately achieve TB's ambitions anyway.

To my mind Gus's style of football hardly set the division on fire last season... Whether he blames that on the playing staff or not, in the main I didn't find it that attractive to watch! Vicente was the only player that got me on the edge of my seat and I don't think Gus had a lot to do with his tactical nous, did he?

Maybe I'm in the minority but I for one won't be to upset if he moves to Swansea or any other top flight club and I don't believe he has earned the right to a Prem job, yet!

In saying that, I would love to see him stay and take us up but I'm not convinced that he has the ability to do so.
Totally agree,most games just passed us by last season and i have confessed that i got bored at times as nothing happened,lack of shots and creativity and not playing to our strenghs was an issue.He's still young and hungry and will improve,but also he wines and pokes his nose into things to much.
Very overrated at the moment that's for sure:)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
SkyBet now have Holloway as 3/1 joint favourite with Poyet, he's gone from 14/1 at 4pm to 3/1 at 10pm

Where's natterjack ? wonder what his thoughts are?

Hello mate.

Gutted that Rodgers has left and has followed his wallet rather than his heart out of the door. What really does surprise me is that he turned his nose up at Chelsea saying he was 'trying to make a career not ruin it!' - then turns round and takes on the poisoned chalice of following in Dalglish's footsteps.

He'll be gone by Christmas IMHO. How is he going to get Cart horses like Carroll to play 'Tikki-Takka' football? The Scoucers will be on his back and he'll have the bullet (he's already favourite for the 1st Prem manager to be sacked FFS!)

As for Poyet, I wouldn't worry too much as there's no way our Chairman will blow £2-3m in compensation to get someone in who'll walkout on us again if we do well.

Word on the street is Louis Enrique the Barca B coach is being lined up.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Hello mate.

Gutted that Rodgers has left and has followed his wallet rather than his heart out of the door. What really does surprise me is that he turned his nose up at Chelsea saying he was 'trying to make a career not ruin it!' - then turns round and takes on the poisoned chalice of following in Dalglish's footsteps.

He'll be gone by Christmas IMHO. How is he going to get Cart horses like Carroll to play 'Tikki-Takka' football? The Scoucers will be on his back and he'll have the bullet (he's already favourite for the 1st Prem manager to be sacked FFS!)

As for Poyet, I wouldn't worry too much as there's no way our Chairman will blow £2-3m in compensation to get someone in who'll walkout on us again if we do well.

Personally gus hasn't done anywhere near enough to be a prem manger,he still has a bloody lot to learn.Must be bloody annoying for you that he's leaving as like you say playing that type of football at anfield is not goner happen.

Hello mate.

Welcome back NJ, you're missed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hello mate.

Behold! A man who speaks sense :thumbsup:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Just checked OddsChecker and they now have Ian Holloway as 2/1 favourite :clap:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I don't think he's trying to say they are the special club I think he's pointing out that saying it's a backwards step for him is a bit daft. Even if Swansea do go down next season then he'll have the parachute payments to play with which we are not going to be able to compete with for many years to come (unless we get there ourselves of course). It's safe to say Swansea are miles ahead of us in the football food chain at the moment and will be for a little while to come.
If Swansea go down then I suspect Gus will not then be their manager to spend those parachute payments

Welcome back NJ, you're missed.

Cheers, I miss Brighton but I don't miss getting up at 3am on Monday mornings or the M25!

Personally gus hasn't done anywhere near enough to be a prem manger,he still has a bloody lot to learn.Must be bloody annoying for you that he's leaving as like you say playing that type of football at anfield is not goner happen.

The only fault that Brendan has is there is no Plan B. it worked for him (most of the time) at Swansea because he had players who played OUR system to perfection - for their ability anyway.

He tried imposing his way at Reading and got sacked in 6 months. There'll be far less patience at Liverpool

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
And probably walking out of it again in May. Swansea (and Norwich) are prime examples of second-season syndrome waiting to happen.

Agree with this very much. One of those two, if not both, will seriously struggle next season & probably get relegated. However, if Swansea do come calling, I can't help but feel the temptation will be hard to resist despite him previously saying he would only leave for something special.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I remember Ipswich finished 5th one year Burley got manager of the year, next season relegated and a few seasons later ended up at Palace and getting the sack.

And reported today, that he struggled to get a job in League 1, so has now gone to Cyprus.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just a couple of observations.

In my opinion it is too early for Gus to take on a job in the Premiership, he is still learning the art of management and the Albion is the best place for him to learn the job.

Of course Swansea would be a step up for him, they have got Premiership players and of course have a berth in the division.

Like Gus the Albion are still learning how to cope with the new stadium and new income that comes with it. I think Gus and the board need another year or two to learn together. After that if we are not in the Premiership I think the two parties will part company.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Poyet isn't going anywhere. Of course his people are talking to interested parties but he's got a job to see through here first. It's way to early for him. He isn't daft.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Anyone know how much longer Ian 'Olloway has got left on his contract, and could speculate on how much compo would be linked to that time, compared to Gus's??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here