Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite for Swansea job

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Very modest? You wish.
The club with a near £200m income, winner of a mass of siverware in the last 11 seasons, and collosal fan base in the UK and overseas.
Rebuilding after the destruction caused by Hicks & Gillett.

You can see why the excellent Rodgers has grabbed the chance.

No what I meant was Swansea are a modest (by comparison) Prem League team, but "bigger" than us because they're there!! So it's not right to compare Rodgers achievements which took him to Liverpool with Poyets achievements that might interest Swansea.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Realistically I think you've got a very good chance of being promoted next season. There's no reason why a club must "serve its time" in The Championship.
B&HA "got lucky" when Tony Bloom was wise enough to appoint Poyet. They'll need a bit of good fortune, as everybody does, to gain promotion to The PL; but the main thing they'll need, alongside Mr Bloom and his money, is Gus Poyet. If you lose him then you really will need to "get lucky" with your next managerial appointment.
I still say Poyet would be foolish to take the Swansea job, although I understand the area around Swansea is a beautiful part of the world. Norwich might be a little more sensible, but guiding B&HA into the top-flight and establishing them there makes the most sense.

"serve time" was a poor choice of words. Fact is the Championship is way more wide open than the Prem, where you can pretty well sort (with the odd exception) the top 5 or 6. If you look at the Championship there will be (arguabely) more than half, maybe even three quarters of the teams thinking they have a good chance of going up. We're one of them and so the odds will be against us (purely on a numbers basis) and therefore we might need a few go's at it if that makes sense. I used the examples of Leicester, Leeds, Forest, Ipswich etc just to demonstrate that there are loads of clubs that have been trying for quite a while.

So if Gus gets the opportunity, wherever it is I think it'll be seriously considered. He's got longer term ambitions than the next move so if it were a Swansea his primary objective would be to keep them up and if he does that chances are he'll get a crack at what he wants.

If I were him I reckon my chances of keeping Swansea up would be better than getting Brighton up (I only have to beat 3 teams rather than 15 or whatever it is) ... job done!

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Just said on ATR that Gus is 3/1 favourite to go to Swansea if Rodgers goes to Liverpool

Remember what happened to Mickey Adams after he moved on to greener grass following a successfull season with the Albion,whats he doing now?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The fact that Swansea's style is not dis-similar to Gus' is, for me, a total red herring.Wherever Gus went, he would impose his own style anyway. The fact that he wouldn't have to change so much with Swansea isn't reason enough for him to decamp there. Nor is them being in the Premiership yet. The man understandably wants glory, and he'll get far more taking a side up to the Premiership.

Aside from that, a move to Swansea doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

But surely the issue is that Swansea will wish for the playing style continuity that has been so hugely successful for them. The Mirror story may well be pure speculation, but the "quote": A senior Swansea source said: "The most important thing for the new manager is he will play the same style of football." is consistent with this.

I seriously hope I am wrong, but this looks to me to be by far the biggest threat to Gus's continuity so far.

PG

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Trouble is,if Mr Poyet goes to a Premier League club he could take Ankergren,Harley and,well,any of our stars with him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But surely the issue is that Swansea will wish for the playing style continuity that has been so hugely successful for them. The Mirror story may well be pure speculation, but the "quote": A senior Swansea source said: "The most important thing for the new manager is he will play the same style of football." is consistent with this.

I seriously hope I am wrong, but this looks to me to be by far the biggest threat to Gus's continuity so far.

PG

You're talking about what Swansea want; I'm talking - alright, speculating - about what Gus (might) want. Those two things aren't necessarily one and the same. In short, Swansea might want continuity, but, well... bully for them.

He is building quite a dynasty here, getting in the best people, the best facilities - the team of professional that he wants, and the chairman is so far obliging him. It makes no real sense to jump to a club which in no way could ever be described as 'something special' when he states he's in 'no real hurry' to get to the Premiership. My take, incidentally, on 'no real hurry' is getting there with the Albion over an ever-improving period of two to three years (we've had one of those already).

Of course, I have no idea - it's merely speculation on my part.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I knew you would bite back Al(!)

We are all speculating. But whilst stating the bleedin' obvious, a club needs to want Gus and Gus needs to want to go to them, in that order. So far, no team has approached him/his agent, bar possibly Wolves. To me, this looks like the most likely club to date who would go for him with a strong 'offer' (club/finances/Premiership status). The envelope may well be pushed!

PG

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I knew you would bite back Al(!)

We are all speculating. But whilst stating the bleedin' obvious, a club needs to want Gus and Gus needs to want to go to them, in that order. So far, no team has approached him/his agent, bar possibly Wolves. To me, this looks like the most likely club to date who would go for him with a strong 'offer' (club/finances/Premiership status). The envelope may well be pushed!

PG

That bit is the crucial point.

Another point I would make is that Gus was bemoaning the fact that the Amex last season only held 22,000, and he wants another 10,000 in to make it something. We're up to 28,000 next season, and just shy of 31,000 after that. The Liberty Stadium can't offer that.

Sod it, there's a whole host of reasons as to why Gus wouldn't go to Swansea. The main one that's being offered for him going is Swansea's desire for continuity, and there are many people (not necessarily in this country) that they can get that from.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand all this hype for Gus much as I admire what he is doing and want him to continue for us but if I was the chairman of Villa, Swansea or Norwich I would have Rafa Benitez above him in my wish list any day of the week, if I could afford him.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really can't see Rafa going to Swansea. I can see Gus going there. I don't want him to as I think it would be a huge set back for us, but if he went I'd wish him the best. They have great players, play football the right way and have a good set up. They are not the biggest club in the world, but hey, neither are we. He'd be in the top flight, could put in a 3 year stint and then move on to one of the bigger clubs. All makes sense.

The alternative is he stays here, gets us up and then moves to an Everton or Villa. Can't see Villa going for him yet, nor he for them as they are just not set up properly.

I think it's 50/50 at the moment. I very much want him to stay.

Think of it from Swansea's perspective. They want a manager that will get the ball down and pass it around. Who might they go for? Gus or Holloway in my opinion, and Holloway has just had a falling out. Thing with Holloway is that I think he feels he still needs to prove that he can get Blackpool up and keep them up.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I can see Lee Clark being Swanseas next Manager !!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Change that Paul Lambert has just resigned as Norwich manager so i would put him in the fave position for Swansea now !!

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
You're talking about what Swansea want; I'm talking - alright, speculating - about what Gus (might) want. Those two things aren't necessarily one and the same. In short, Swansea might want continuity, but, well... bully for them.

He is building quite a dynasty here, getting in the best people, the best facilities - the team of professional that he wants, and the chairman is so far obliging him. It makes no real sense to jump to a club which in no way could ever be described as 'something special' when he states he's in 'no real hurry' to get to the Premiership. My take, incidentally, on 'no real hurry' is getting there with the Albion over an ever-improving period of two to three years (we've had one of those already).

Of course, I have no idea - it's merely speculation on my part.

My guess - and they're all guesses although 'Not Andy Naylor' may know more - is that's pretty much it. Tarrico gave an interview last year in which he stated year-on-year improvement in the Championship for three years was on the cards,with the step up at the end of that time. That would make sense on a lot of levels including building the squad up by two or three each season.

So would Gus stay three years? I think yes if the offer was from Swansea or Norwich or Wigan. In five years time we should be above them in football's natural order. Villa or Everton might be different but would they want him to be their next manager?

The wild card with a Latin manager could be La Liga and I've no sense how Gus would react to an opportunity with say a Europa League- type club there.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That bit is the crucial point.

Another point I would make is that Gus was bemoaning the fact that the Amex last season only held 22,000, and he wants another 10,000 in to make it something. We're up to 28,000 next season, and just shy of 31,000 after that. The Liberty Stadium can't offer that.

Sod it, there's a whole host of reasons as to why Gus wouldn't go to Swansea. The main one that's being offered for him going is Swansea's desire for continuity, and there are many people (not necessarily in this country) that they can get that from.

thats totally irrelevant, hes not going to stay because of fan numbers....... I like your posts but i really think you write as a fan, with an obvious deep attachment to the Albion.......which Poyet is not, and as Lambert and Rodgers have just proved (by both leaving ambitious, up and coming clubs like Brighton) to go to 2 poisoned chalices higher up the food chain, there in no loyalty....

don't hang on Poyets words of "very special" they are just words. He will spin whatever he takes, if he does, as it being very special.

Swansea are more advanced up the food chain, they (and Poyet) have weekly premier league exposure, and he will go imho if they come knocking.

As Rugrat said, he is competing against 15 other clubs for promotion to the PL, or trying to beat 3 to stay in the PL with Swansea. Which is easier? where would he get more personal airtime and exposure?

Put it in the context of another sport you have no emotional attachment with. Gus wants to drive a Formula 1 car one day, and all their drivers are the successfull ones that are taken from formula 2 only.
As Gus currently drives for a formula 3 team. Does he try and beat 15 others to the title over a season to prove what a great F3 driver he is and get into the F2 circuit, refusing the advances of a team already in F2 ....... or does he take the F2 drive offered to him, with a team ready made for him, knowing he's one or 2 good seasons away from his coveted F1 drive?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
thats totally irrelevant, hes not going to stay because of fan numbers....... I like your posts but i really think you write as a fan, with an obvious deep attachment to the Albion.......which Poyet is not, and as Lambert and Rodgers have just proved (by both leaving ambitious, up and coming clubs like Brighton) to go to 2 poisoned chalices higher up the food chain, there in no loyalty....

don't hang on Poyets words of "very special" they are just words. He will spin whatever he takes, if he does, as it being very special.

Swansea are more advanced up the food chain, they (and Poyet) have weekly premier league exposure, and he will go imho if they come knocking.

Not everyone has the same cynical, short-termist avaricious value system (unless, by inference from your post you're calling Gus a liar) ; Vicente being another example.

I have no evidence one way or another as to Gus' intentions aside from his public statements, but I'm not going to make the assumption you're making that they are 'spin'.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not everyone has the same short-termist avaricious value system; Vicente being another example.

vicente had a troubled ending at Valencia, though you're right, those people who stay loyal, ahead of their own fierce ambitions, are few and far between.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here