Gus confident of 2 more signings

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Naylor says we have been priced out of a move for Dave Kitson - not surprising as the administrator said that both he and Lawrence were on 20K a week when he permitted the club to sign them - but was this BEFORE or AFTER being "confident" that we would sign two more players?

Last edited:

Naylor says we have been priced out of a move for Dave Kitson - not surprising as the administrator said that both he and Lawrence were on 20K a week when he permitted the club to sign them - but was this BEFORE or AFTER being "confident" that we would sign two more players?

If the "we are confident" comment related to Kitson when he already knew his wages were out of our price range why would Gus say it. The Kitson rumour has been around for some time and I would assume that because news takes time to leak out it has probably been a dead deal longer than the recent comments by Gus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So nobody knows? Or they aren't telling?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dave Kitson might still come as Pompey look likely to have another fire sale. His options are simple, cut your pay demands or sign on the way things are going.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I'd love Kevin Davies but if we can't afford Kitson!!

Dont want Kitson one dont like the guy and two what has he done in recent years ? he hasnt even been starting frequently in a poor portsmouth team and how many goals has he scored ? id prefer to keep the squad the way it is now than add Kitson.
Davies could be useful as would help Mackell smith, but someone like Billy sharp, Aaron Mclean, Michael Owen, Jordon Rhodes would also all be a good help to Mackell as would take away some of the tight marking he gets from defenders

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
... someone like Billy sharp, Aaron Mclean, Michael Owen, Jordon Rhodes would also all be a good help to Mackell as would take away some of the tight marking he gets from defenders

I agree with your comments on Kitson - his gloating in front of us when a Reading player has turned me ag'in him ever since. But I think you're being wildly optimistic with your ideas on help for CMS. Sharp will command £3m+, and we've already been told the budget was largely spent in the summer. Owen will not come - I simply don't believe there's anything in that. And Jordan Rhodes? £5m+, straight into the top flight for certain. Absolutely no chance.

The only name I've heard mentioned in all this speculation with a shred of plausibility is McLean, but he'd cost seven figures too, surely, would need Hull to want to sell him, and would require them to be prepared to sell him to rivals for a play-off spot. Can't see him coming either. I don't think we're in the market for those sorts of players. Most likely, anybody coming in will be a loanee, I suspect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here