Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: A very special signing could follow

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Based solely on the fact that they aren't getting games, and that Gus has links with the club...

Niko Kranjcar? David Bentley? Giovanni Dos Santos?

Or am I being a tad ambitious?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Could we be missing the obvious here? The 'special' signing could be Lua-Lua (loan now, guaranteed permanent in Jan), and the reason we would be signing another player is to cover until he's back from his injury?

I think you could have something there. Poyet's words in the Argus:

“It will depend really,” he said. “We need to get one before Thursday for sure. If there was an extra one it would be because we got the main target, something very special.”

It sounds like a 3rd signing is dependent on the 2nd. I.e perhaps something to play until Lua Lua is fit?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think you could have something there. Poyet's words in the Argus:

“It will depend really,” he said. “We need to get one before Thursday for sure. If there was an extra one it would be because we got the main target, something very special.”

It sounds like a 3rd signing is dependent on the 2nd. I.e perhaps something to play until Lua Lua is fit?

That quote really intrigued me as it was so cryptic. It could be an interesting week (or a boring one which ends with no new signings). I am not sure that he would describe LuaLua, who we have already had on loan, as "something very special" but could be wrong.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Could we be missing the obvious here? The 'special' signing could be Lua-Lua (loan now, guaranteed permanent in Jan), and the reason we would be signing another player is to cover until he's back from his injury?

To go slightly into Kevin Keegan mode, I would LOVE IT if that were the case.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

This had occured to me as well. Would be audacious. PS I don't think for one minute we are getting Pires, but I do think that there has been a change in expectation/attitude behind the scenes such that it will become more and more likely that we would speak with players like that (next season and beyond).

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Exactly, as I said in the first post. It just seems that some other posters think it's still a possibility.

Cant see it though. Rather believe the Lu lua one.

Just for once, rather than getting excited over rumours etc, wouldn't it be great to be totally gobsmacked with a real perm signing

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Gus loves all this intrigue you can see it in his face while he is saying anything,I have every confidence in the man and when he says something special it must be pretty good.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Are we not jumping the gun. Surely the quote says we are after a player but nothing is a done deal.

Any player signed for the first team would be "speacial"

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
here goes - I think that we maybe after Marcus Tudgay and these are the reasons why

1) Sussex born

2) Sheff Wed deep on the doodoo

3) would be a quality signing and would certainly blow my socks off

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
here goes - I think that we maybe after Marcus Tudgay and these are the reasons why

1) Sussex born

2) Sheff Wed deep on the doodoo

3) would be a quality signing and would certainly blow my socks off

He's a striker though isn't he? I've never seen him play on the wing.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Tudgay would be amazing but i think Prem teams were after him in the summer. Ha! Weds turned down bids of over £2mil for him can't see them getting that for him now.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Isn't it far moire likely to be someone like Woods, i.e. on fringes of Prem/Championship club who needs some games?

Much like we've done with Holroyd in fact!

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
Don't think that it will be Lua-Lua considering (tell me if i'm wrong) but his contract run's out in January and considering he won't play until then it seems stupid to be signing him?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

Not if the Argus is to be believed: "Albion’s ongoing attempt to sign their No. 1 target replacement for Kazenga LuaLua".

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here