Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: A very special signing could follow

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting. I wonder what that could mean. We will only get the second player if we manage to get the first?

It sounds to me like we really want Footballer A, but are also close to signing footballer B. The deal for B is almost done and if things don't work out with A it will be the only signing (other than Wood). However, even when the deal with B is complete they will continue to work on the deal for A, because they really want him. ("If there was an extra one it would be because we got the main target, something very special." = "If there was the signing of Footballer A it would be because he was the main target, something very special.")

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It sounds to me like we really want Footballer A, but are also close to signing footballer B. The deal for B is almost done and if things don't work out with A it will be the only signing (other than Wood). However, even when the deal with B is complete they will continue to work on the deal for A, because they really want him. ("If there was an extra one it would be because we got the main target, something very special." = "If there was the signing of Footballer A it would be because he was the main target, something very special.")

I see. Thinking about it you may be right. The less than "very special" signing is almost complete, and the extra signing would in fact be our main target.

I was hoping the "very special" signing was almost done. Very exciting all the same, I don't remember Gus referring to any of our previous signings like that, only the striker we failed to sign in the summer.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would not be suprised if it was Pires??? Villa will only offer him a pay as you play or short term deal at 37, whereas we may offer 1-2yr.

I would really like Kevin Phillips.... at least let me dream

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has pires not said yes to villa yet then?

Yeah Porky Pie, he's started training with Villa and is just about to sign a 6 month. Its a long shot, but the other poster mentioning him had me thinking (purely speculating) what a lot of blokes of his age want (like forster) is a long contract (Pires says he can go on to 40), which maybe we could offer him and a prem club won't??

Excited though...... about our mystery man :ascarf:

Someone mentioned "Johnson", as impossible as it is, wouldn't it be great though if it was Andrew, that would stick it the Palarse fans :laugh:

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Yeah Porky Pie, he's started training with Villa and is just about to sign a 6 month. Its a long shot, but the other poster mentioning him had me thinking (purely speculating) what a lot of blokes of his age want (like forster) is a long contract (Pires says he can go on to 40), which maybe we could offer him and a prem club won't??

Someone mentioned "Johnson", as impossible as it is, wouldn't it be great though if it was Andrew, that would stick it the Palarse fans :laugh:

:lolol:, I cant stand all this excitment!

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Was in Brighton last night and overheard a posh bloke in Fishy Fishy mention Brighton and Robert Pires in the same breath. Of course we now know he is now at Villa, but I got the impression we may have approached him. Seems incredibly unlikely to me (what must the bloke earn!!) and he's not from one of the Spanish speaking countries like most of our surprise signings.

He may be a French national but his mother is Spanish and his father Portugese

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
Can't imagine it being kazenga as I got the impression it was someone who could play as soon as signed

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania

Wouldn't Pires and Johnson both be a bit billy bignuts for the whole team thing that Gus has going on?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think it will be Pires for one second. My interpretation of an overheard conversation (I'm no GRFC!!) is that we spoke with him or considered it or sounded him out. That is miles from negociating a deal. But if true, then it show we have ambition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here