Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
And i've never seen a centre half with an eye for a pass like him. How many goals/shots this season have been started with a perfectly placed Greer pass?

They don't always come off but at least he's trying to be creative. How many goals have we scored as a result of an Elphick hoof?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He was having a massive bust up with el hadb about 5 minutes beforehand (think abd missed his marker and Greer told him about it in no uncertain terms but adb wasn't having any of it), might have wound him up.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't care how well he's played this season, or how good a captain he is, the guy's a f..king idiot for getting himself sent off in the last few minutes of a game.

And anyway, what the hell was he doing going up for a free kick at that stage of the game? We had the game won. He should have stayed back in his defensive position.

No excuses. Just plain stupid!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Leave him on the bench for the last two games of the season, which will help him focus his mind on his stupidity. He had to bide his time earlier in the season and now he has forfeited the right to come straight back into the side.
He has had an excellent season but twice he has been thoroughly unprofessional.
( Once I can forgive )

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Elphick will know that he has to be on top form after his performance (poor positioning, decision making and passing) at Rochdale or Gus will have him off and Dunk on quicker than you can send a rat up a drainpipe. He has 4 games to make himself a shoe-in to still be here with a chance to play at Falmer. My betting is that we have a new ball-playing (Spanish?) centre back in mind and one of the current crop will go to make room for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elphick will know that he has to be on top form after his performance (poor positioning, decision making and passing) at Rochdale or Gus will have him off and Dunk on quicker than you can send a rat up a drainpipe. He has 4 games to make himself a shoe-in to still be here with a chance to play at Falmer. My betting is that we have a new ball-playing (Spanish?) centre back in mind and one of the current crop will go to make room for them.

I keep reading this kind of opinion (especially after the Bournemouth home game) and yet it is Elphick who is on the bench week in and week out and not Dunk.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Agree with post #112. He has a short fuse and following the manner of his sending off at the beginning of the season, I was not surprised. Very disappointing from the team's captain. I think his general play has been OK, not brilliant, but has deserved his place in the team and has probably got most of the qualities required of a captain. If he doesn't pick up the trophy it will be a bigger personal punishment than a 4 game ban that the team can well cope with.
The big problem is that Championship managers, coaches and players will know about him, and will play on his weaknesses, especially his poor temperment.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I keep reading this kind of opinion (especially after the Bournemouth home game) and yet it is Elphick who is on the bench week in and week out and not Dunk.

We are making a step up in class and we have 4 centre backs available. I seriously think Gus will add another with ball-playing skills (could well be wrong of course but would anyone be really surprised given Gus' love of playing it from the back?). If he does then Tommy and Lewis will be 4th and 5th choice and less often even on the bench.

Elphick has hinted in a couple of interviews that he might consider moving if he can't get in the side.

With promotion still to be achieved he is first choice cover because of his experience. Once achieved and if Tommy is not on top form it would be no surprise to see Gus take a look at Dunk because there is less risk attached to doing so.

Not knocking the lad but I think it is a logical statement of the current/future-potential position.
I hope he plays his socks off for the rest of the season now he has his chance.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Greer should no longer be captain and if we have secured the title by the time he comes back, I'd consider leaving him out to give Elphick and Dunk a game or two.

His passing has been superb this season and his experience has added a lot.

BUT, I do worry about him up a league. His pace is not too good and forwards with a little bit of movement often lose him in the box.

I certainly think Poyet will go out and sign a first choice centre half in the summer. And, with the form El Abd has been in and the fact Poyet LOVES him, I can see Greer being third choice come the new season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Greer should no longer be captain and if we have secured the title by the time he comes back, I'd consider leaving him out to give Elphick and Dunk a game or two.

His passing has been superb this season and his experience has added a lot.

BUT, I do worry about him up a league. His pace is not too good and forwards with a little bit of movement often lose him in the box.

I certainly think Poyet will go out and sign a first choice centre half in the summer. And, with the form El Abd has been in and the fact Poyet LOVES him, I can see Greer being third choice come the new season.

I think that after we beat Saints in two weeks time, to consign them to another year in league one, that Gus should have a quiet word with Jose Fonte. :thumbsup:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
ta for posting clip , was not there so im a little confused , where was the supposed headbutt ? was it before the elbow or did it not happen at all .

zigzag

Mar 22, 2011
Lewes
ta for posting clip , was not there so im a little confused , where was the supposed headbutt ? was it before the elbow or did it not happen at all .

you can't really tell from the video,if there was a headbutt it was probably after the elbow,when the players confront each other. I'm not convinced, did anybody see it?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
No headbutt that I could see - the elbow was clearly and justifiably the red card offence. Fair play to the player on the receiving end for not going down writhing around clutching his face. He'll never play in the premier league without those acting skills.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
you can't really tell from the video,if there was a headbutt it was probably after the elbow,when the players confront each other. I'm not convinced, did anybody see it?

From H Block, the elbow came first, then when the player reacted to that, Greer followed up with an attempted headbut, looked to be little or no contact from the headbut from where I was sitting, but the combination of the 2 meant the straight red. (Deservedly so imho).

I didn't see anything in the lead up to suggest Greer was provoked in anyway, but I did see both the elbow & the headbut. the video seems to show that it was unprovoked.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I couldn't care less if we lost Greer and we were still in a race to go up. Definately dont care now we only need 3pts if that!

I think he's far to lightweight. Ever noticed when a 8 foot brick shithouse plays against us, the shorter El-Abd picks him up.

Greer is no doubt class with the ball at his feet, but defending wise, I don't think hes any better than El-Abd, Elphick or Dunk. Certainly the weakest in the air out of them all, and as he's proved twice now this season, a bit of twat as well!! I doubt it very much if he'll be first choice next season.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Greer and El-abd compliment each other perfectly and without one or other of them for the most part of the season we wouldn't be were we are now in my opinion. El-abd is by far the better defender and as Mr Burns points out is often allocated the bigger stronger striker to mark. Greer is the one who is responsible for moving the ball around the defence and striding forward with the ball and also playing the balls through over the top of midfielders. They work so well together at this level.

But I do understand the idea that Greer is a bit of a "luxury" player for us and next year he might find himself on the outskirts of the team, purely so Gus can get a better defender in to concentrate on defending, rather than a ball player. I would however like to see Greer given the chance at a higher level and think his performances this year deserve it.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's a red card- clear elbow in front of the referee. Greer knows he made a mistake as he doesn't even complian.
But he has been fantastic this season and not "An utter twat and i would rather play with 10 men" as the bloke on Saturday put it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I couldn't care less if we lost Greer and we were still in a race to go up. Definately dont care now we only need 3pts if that!

I think he's far to lightweight. Ever noticed when a 8 foot brick shithouse plays against us, the shorter El-Abd picks him up.

Greer is no doubt class with the ball at his feet, but defending wise, I don't think hes any better than El-Abd, Elphick or Dunk. Certainly the weakest in the air out of them all, and as he's proved twice now this season, a bit of twat as well!! I doubt it very much if he'll be first choice next season.

Its official then - Greer is the new Barnes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here