Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Greer should no longer be captain and if we have secured the title by the time he comes back, I'd consider leaving him out to give Elphick and Dunk a game or two.

His passing has been superb this season and his experience has added a lot.

BUT, I do worry about him up a league. His pace is not too good and forwards with a little bit of movement often lose him in the box.

I certainly think Poyet will go out and sign a first choice centre half in the summer. And, with the form El Abd has been in and the fact Poyet LOVES him, I can see Greer being third choice come the new season.

I think a large part of El-Abd's improvement has come from playing alongside Greer. I suspect we will get another centre back in the summer but that'll be someone to play alongside Greer, not to replace him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think a large part of El-Abd's improvement has come from playing alongside Greer. I suspect we will get another centre back in the summer but that'll be someone to play alongside Greer, not to replace him.

It was Gus Poyet who said that El-Abd was the best defender at the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can't believe some on here... Greer has been excellent this season, especially his passing, but also a solid defender... he made a H U G E fcuking mistake on Sat, and he will pay for that over the next 4 games, when we hopefully secure promotion and the title; I'm sure he will be very disappointed that he may well lose the opportunity to lift the league 1 trophy... he'll serve his ban... give him a break you Greer haters...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I couldn't care less if we lost Greer and we were still in a race to go up. Definately dont care now we only need 3pts if that!

I think he's far to lightweight. Ever noticed when a 8 foot brick shithouse plays against us, the shorter El-Abd picks him up.

Greer is no doubt class with the ball at his feet, but defending wise, I don't think hes any better than El-Abd, Elphick or Dunk. Certainly the weakest in the air out of them all, and as he's proved twice now this season, a bit of twat as well!! I doubt it very much if he'll be first choice next season.

Im now beginning to get the impression that you just don't understand football, considering your views on Greer AND Barnes.

The reason El-abd goes for the header is because if he loses out on it then you have the better footballer (Greer) behind him.

If you had it the other way round then it would just be silly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
According to Greer in tonight's programme, there was a touching of heads but he didn't headbut anyone, so the red card sounds harsh. He must be devastated to have missed tonight - and the way our defence played proves how much we missed him. Elphick isn't really in the same class, unfortunately - and it really showed.

The real pisser about this all may be that Saints win at Withdean. I hope not. Even if we are champions by the time we play them, could do without them pooping our party.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We looked nowhere near as solid tonight without him. I think El-Abd and Greer are a very strong partnership and will start next season in the Championship. As mentioned above I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunk 3rd choice if he gets a chance before the end of the season and performs better than Elphick.

Dunk looks a real class act to me, then again I thought the same about Joel Lynch and he went downhill fast, albeit with far inferior coaching than todays set up.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Spare a thought. Must be absolutely gutted this evening.

Im pretty sure he'll be captain again for Huddersfield game where he could be lifting the trophy. Or if we win saturday do we automatically get presented it at that game or at next home game??? Anyone know the trophy protocol....who decides when and where its presented?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We looked nowhere near as solid tonight without him. I think El-Abd and Greer are a very strong partnership and will start next season in the Championship. As mentioned above I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunk 3rd choice if he gets a chance before the end of the season and performs better than Elphick.

Dunk looks a real class act to me, then again I thought the same about Joel Lynch and he went downhill fast, albeit with far inferior coaching than todays set up.

Spot on about Greer. Thought last night showed how important he is to the team.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
You wont realise actually how important he is until hes gone, check us out for proof, he has his faults, hes slow, he cant turn, gives away needless freekicks BUT the players around him are 10 times the player with him there.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
think some on here who said he wasn't actually that good got the answer last night. We missed him a lot and El-Abd had his worst game of the season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
think some on here who said he wasn't actually that good got the answer last night. We missed him a lot and El-Abd had his worst game of the season

I disagree. Not about Greer's qualities, but that last night was proof of them.

-Having greer didn't stop us shipping 3 goals to Carlisle.
-Akinde was a handful to both Elphick and El Abd. I honestly do not believe a Greer/El Abd partnership would have handled him significantly better than Elphick/El Abd.
-There was added pressure last night. A win meant promotion, and I thought the nerves were showing at times (especially exacerbating any nerves Elph would have at not wanting to waste his opportunity)
-D&R came at us, they came to win not to sit back and defend like so many teams do, and they did themselves proud.

Greer may be a great influence on the team even when his performances aren't great, but last night wasn't proof.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You wont realise actually how important he is until hes gone, check us out for proof, he has his faults, hes slow, he cant turn, gives away needless freekicks BUT the players around him are 10 times the player with him there.

Quite. Never underestimate how much better players play when they don't have to think about what to do because someone else is pointing them in the right direction. Greer is clearly the brains at the back, leaving Al Abd to do the graft.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I disagree. Not about Greer's qualities, but that last night was proof of them.

-Having greer didn't stop us shipping 3 goals to Carlisle.
-Akinde was a handful to both Elphick and El Abd. I honestly do not believe a Greer/El Abd partnership would have handled him significantly better than Elphick/El Abd.
-There was added pressure last night. A win meant promotion, and I thought the nerves were showing at times (especially exacerbating any nerves Elph would have at not wanting to waste his opportunity)
-D&R came at us, they came to win not to sit back and defend like so many teams do, and they did themselves proud.

Greer may be a great influence on the team even when his performances aren't great, but last night wasn't proof.

I think it was! Greer is a massive influence on the defence! We had a nightmare at the back last night. Greer would have been shouting at El-Abd when he headed it to Akinde for the 1st goal and hopefully his shout would have given Adam a different instruction. Secondly, he would have covered around the back of Adam and anticipated Akinde beating him too. Adam and Tommy made a number of mistakes and we really, really missed Greer's passing at the back to. Our defence will not get away with playing like that against Southampton.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Incidentally, did Greer come out with the other lads onto the pitch? I didn't spot him...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here