Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Seems to me both sides are being a bit extreme.

He has been sent off, needlessly, twice for us. His ill-discipline has led to him being unavailable for 9 matches this season due to suspension (first 2 games from swindon red card, three from the red card on his debut which cost us points, and four from today's red card). How can anyone say that is class? How can he be held up as a shining example of greatness with a record like that? As for his contribution to the team, in most matches I've seen him in he is always searching for that killer pass and has cost us a lot of possession, and wasted opportunity.

Conversely, being sent off twice in one season is hardly the crime of the century. Yes it was silly, and he should know better, I'm sure gus will make sure he knows it is unacceptable, he has contributed composure and experience, and on the occasions he reigns in his long balls he actually can run the game.

Getting sent off was a bad thing, but lets not crucify him.
Yes, he's been a good player in a great season, but that doesn't absolve him from responsibility for his rash actions.

Well put. Talk about some complete over reactions.

smelly

May 23, 2004
Greer has had a fantastic season no doubt and is one of the main reasons why we are where we are. I spent the first half wondering why he has not played at a higher level for any period. In the 2nd half I probably got my answer. If he can just control that side of things has every attribute required to be a top player for us next season when, lets face it, we will need him to a lot calmer a lot more often as we are bound to be under greater pressure.

I worry that he throws the elbow when we are 2-0 up on a sunny day when the job is done. What if its last minute in a tight game next season and we need a point to achieve or to avoid relegation. Hopefully this will be a salutory lesson for him as he watches Elf complete his job. Here's hoping.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I really cannot believe some of the reactions on here. Yes he was a fool for what he did, but he has been absolute class this season.

Its as if some of you have been desperate for this to happen.

And God help Ankegren when he has a mare as the knives will also be out!

Fickle! Fickle! Fickle!

Agreed.

NSC sometimes produces enough hot air to solve any energy crisis.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Glad to see this is the usual binfest. I didn't see the incident so couldn't possibly comment on it, however I would say that as Greer was sent off shouldn't also Sedgwick been sent off for his kick on El-Abd? Or the chap who hauled down Murray for the penalty?

I don't think that we'll overly miss Greer to be honest, Elphick and El-Abd did have a partnership that kept him out of the side for a while at the start of the season after all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Glad to see this is the usual binfest. I didn't see the incident so couldn't possibly comment on it, however I would say that as Greer was sent off shouldn't also Sedgwick been sent off for his kick on El-Abd? Or the chap who hauled down Murray for the penalty?

I don't think that we'll overly miss Greer to be honest, Elphick and El-Abd did have a partnership that kept him out of the side for a while at the start of the season after all.

The guy who lashed out at El Abd, probably, it would have been violent conduct (off the ball).
The guy who hauled down Murray, probably not. This was a clumsy challenge, not violent conduct, so it comes down to denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, the ball was still being crossed to murray so it would be hard to say it was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus,at least do that when the ref's not looking!,what did he expect.there is no way the lino's would give it as they gave f*** all all day.What about when their player kicked out right in front of the lino??

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Has a history of this on big occasions but has led (or is it more organised) us well all season and what a season! A moment of madness and he'll not be on the pitch when we win promotion and the title so probably put a dent it the amazing memories he'll still have with us over next couple weeks but that he could have been centre stage in.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'll get hung for this but I thought when he came he might be a bit of a loose canon ... no excuse at all, it won't cost us now but he's too short a fuse for my liking

Not by me you won't. I've not rated the bloke since he came. For me he hasn't been the rock at the back we've been looking for. The very strong defence has largely been down to Ankergren and El Abd for me. I can think of several games where Greer hasn't dominated that could have cost us points, or in certain cases did cost us points or games: Rochdale (home), Hartlepool (away - complete mess-up for first goal, to be fair CA was equally to blame for that one, third goal forward out-jumped him), Exeter (away - Ankergren had to bawl at him several times for losing concentration, which nearly cost us a goal), second goal at Stoke he let Jonathan Waters get across him, one or two dodgy passes yesterday which if El Abd hadn't been covering or the Sheffield Wednesday forwards so inept would have cost us. Sure, at times he has been solid, but yesterday was just unprofessional and was a terrible example to the youngsters as captain.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I can't quite put my finger on what Greer does better than Elphick, just that I know he does. He has without a shadow of a doubt brought something to this team. I think perhaps the case of having a definite leader on the pitch, although I accept his actions today didn't display tremendous leadership skills. It's a real shame, as he's been our best defender for the last month or so. He also has more of a footballing brain than Elphick, and his distribution is considerably better. Elphick hasn't let us down this season, to be fair, but I definitely prefer Greer.

Well for starters Tommy grew up under Dean Wilkins and has always looked to drop far too deep ,as Wilkins' team used to do, so when hes not got someone in charge ushering him up the pitch, he ends up challenging Ankergren for balls in our 18 yard box which he shouldnt even be near, or getting mugged by steve fletcher.
What worries me is that we throughly deserved to beat saints last year but they (as Norwich had done previously) changed their game and went long ball and we started sitting right back in our penalty area opening the door to their equalisers etc.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Unfortunate that he will now be marked as having a hair-trigger by refs and opposing forwards, who will try to take advantage by niggling him to high heaven, as he has been immense for us this season...

Be interesting to know how many times he has been booked this season. Must be less than five, as he hasn't served a one-match ban I believe...

Keep going GG :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Be interesting to know how many times he has been booked this season. Must be less than five, as he hasn't served a one-match ban I believe...

I have it as 4; Huddersfield (away), Bournemouth (away), MK Dons (away), and Tranmere (home)

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
No excuse for that sort of behaviour in my opinion. Cruising to a 2-0 victory in a fairly good-mannered game and Greer goes and gets himself sent off with two minutes left. He'll presumably be back for the last two games of the season but I'd leave him on the bench for them. His ill-discipline could have cost us this season and he's got to learn. An absolutely ridiculous sending off, I just hope it has no bearing on us winning the title.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Let it go guys - he made a mistake, granted a silly mistake and he's done it twice now (thi is assuming he did actually fully headbutt the bloke in the face not one of these foreign style touch heads and fall down things). He shouldn't have done it but at the same time you don't know what was done to him or said to him for him to do something back so we can't really judge how stupid it was can we?!

PS - Has been immense all season IMO - our best CB for a long, long time. As good as Cullip in his prime for us IMO.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Let it go guys - he made a mistake, granted a silly mistake and he's done it twice now (thi is assuming he did actually fully headbutt the bloke in the face not one of these foreign style touch heads and fall down things). He shouldn't have done it but at the same time you don't know what was done to him or said to him for him to do something back so we can't really judge how stupid it was can we?!

PS - Has been immense all season IMO - our best CB for a long, long time. As good as Cullip in his prime for us IMO.

:clap::clap:

We have a defensive record second only to QPR in the whole of the football league, if people can't see what a massive contribution Greer has been to this then they are f***ing thick. Take the Norwich game last season, we played but the defence couldn't quite cope with the pressure towards the end of the game and we ended up losing. This season we have been winning / drawing these types of games.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
:clap::clap:

We have a defensive record second only to QPR in the whole of the football league, if people can't see what a massive contribution Greer has been to this then they are f***ing thick. Take the Norwich game last season, we played but the defence couldn't quite cope with the pressure towards the end of the game and we ended up losing. This season we have been winning / drawing these types of games.

And i've never seen a centre half with an eye for a pass like him. How many goals/shots this season have been started with a perfectly placed Greer pass?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Greer has been great this season. Our defensive record is because of him, not despite him as some seem to allude to. But, I do feel really let down by his sending off. It was needless and he will now miss 4 games which will shape and define our season. I do expect better from a 30 year old captain. I think he will fully realise he's been a silly billy. I just hope he learns from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here