Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer Bid

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, but Withdean season tickets have soared apparently because of the promise of being first in the queue when the Amex opens.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
jesus you are all mental.

Why ?

We have a big catchment area. The only problem is that Clubs like you and us have been left behind and it takes a significant input or resources (cash and the right people) to make the jump even to become established in the Championship.

And of course we are traditionally a third-tier club.

But why shouldn't it change ?

(Swindon may well be able to make the same claims - I don't know).

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Why ?

We have a big catchment area. The only problem is that Clubs like you and us have been left behind and it takes a significant input or resources (cash and the right people) to make the jump even to become established in the Championship.

And of course we are traditionally a third-tier club.

But why shouldn't it change ?

(Swindon may well be able to make the same claims - I don't know).

Are we traditionally 3rd tier? I have always viewed us as a 2nd tier (Championship or Division 2 in old money), obviously no thanks to Archer and co the last 10+ years have seen us in hard times and a crap stadium.

Fulham, Reading, Bolton and Wigan. just to name but 4 who I use to so not long ago consider to be smaller clubs than us. These are examples of where teams can go with the right infastructure.

Lets hope one day, not too far away, that we are back where we belong above these teams!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Are we traditionally 3rd tier? I have always viewed us as a 2nd tier (Championship or Division 2 in old money), obviously no thanks to Archer and co the last 10+ years have seen us in hard times and a crap stadium.

I seem to have spent most years watching the Albion in the third tier. We are putting in the infrastructure to be established second tier. It is a big jump though - there are some big city clubs in that group.

These are happy days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Fulham, Reading, Bolton and Wigan. just to name but 4 who I use to so not long ago consider to be smaller clubs than us. These are examples of where teams can go with the right infastructure.

Lets hope one day, not too far away, that we are back where we belong above these teams!

I think you need to check your history. 1921 - 1958, Div 3 south (ie third tier). A few years in the second then down to the fourth in about 1964 (I think). Another 8 yrs in 3rd tier then one in Div 2. Back down and another 4 years in 3rd tier, two in Div 2 and four in Div 1. Three years back in div 2 and one in Div 3, another couple in Div2 and then, from about 1993 to 2010 all but 3 years in the 3rd tier or lower.

The exact dates maybe wrong with out looking them up but it is clear that traditionally we have played tier 3. However I beleive we are capable of becoming an established premier league team.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

this. i've always seen us as mid-table second tier sort of club. wigan are WAY smaller than us by the way.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
think you are way off the mark comparing us to norwich, i`ve always gone for the Reading comparison, they had small crowds at Elm Park but fan base grew quite rapidly when they got Madejski stadium, that`s what we will be like.
Wonder what sort of crowds Norwich would get it they had a bigger ground.There 24,000 regulars would turn up if they were playing the Dog and Duck.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's not about the past, it's about the future.

Our potential is there to be a top 10 Championship club and depending on the investment in the playing squad a very good shot at being a Premiership side within a decade. :moo:

QUOTE]

Yup - spent most of our history in the variously titled divisions that are the third tier of English football

Division 3 (South)
Division 3
Division 2 (Post creation of the prem)
Division 1 (Post creation of the championship)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm bored of Gordon Greer.

If Swindon are holding out, then let them. Sack it and move on to another (better) centre back.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm bored of Gordon Greer.

If Swindon are holding out, then let them. Sack it and move on to another (better) centre back.
Quite right, if nothing else we've unsettled him and pissed off Swindon fans (all good).

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
think you are way off the mark comparing us to norwich, i`ve always gone for the Reading comparison, they had small crowds at Elm Park but fan base grew quite rapidly when they got Madejski stadium, that`s what we will be like.
Wonder what sort of crowds Norwich would get it they had a bigger ground.There 24,000 regulars would turn up if they were playing the Dog and Duck.

Quite right LF. I remember going to watch the Albion at Elm Park many moons ago and there were almost as many away fans as home fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here