Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Also I would like to add, are the Greens proposing to eradicate the internal combustion engine from our City, which has brought it a fair amount of wealth in the time I have lived here. After all the seafront road was built as a "Dragstrip" by one of the princes post the abolition of the Red Flag Act.

Now the road in question, and the congestion it can bring on some Sunday afternoons, and let's not forget enjoyment, for some of us, is rented and I believe owned by the council, who charge a pretty penny for its use and closure.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
As an 'outsider - I've been to around 70 of the league grounds and for a relatively small stadium it compares very poorly from an access perspective. Those who are saying it's no different to any other similar sized stadium are deluded. While that in itself isn't enough to deny any application, any council that chose not to look at the travel issue would be irresponsible....

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
There are two quite separate questions here.

The first is whether the stadium explansion plans will get through the planning process. That will be decided by the City Council's Planning Committee - where the Greens have just five votes out of the twelve that will decide the issue. The biggest obstacle will be transport and it will be up to the Football Club to demonstrate that they have robust plans in place to deal with the increased number of spectators. If the Club can do this, they will get permission.

The second issue is whether the Council will agree to the redundant land at the corner of the Academy site being made available to the Football Club. That will be decided by the Green Party administration, not by the Planning Committee. There may be other purposes that the administration think the land could be better used for. I know for a FACT that some senior Green councillors think that it is too useful a site to be handed over to car parking. Steve Bassam seems to be claiming that, without the use of this particular patch of land, the expansion plans are scuppered. This isn't necessarily so - provided alternative car parking facilities can be found. If the Council won't make this site available, it will be up to the Club to find another one. How hard have they looked?

Why does the club feel the need for a new car park for an expansion that will merely increase capacity by 8,000? Surely the transport plan that we have now can cope with an increaase of just 34%. Or are we at total capacity now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an 'outsider - I've been to around 70 of the league grounds and for a relatively small stadium it compares very poorly from an access perspective. Those who are saying it's no different to any other similar sized stadium are deluded. While that in itself isn't enough to deny any application, any council that chose not to look at the travel issue would be irresponsible....

I should have expanded on my point. It's not just the size of the stadium, it's the location. Is there anything truly comparable in the country?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Are you suggesting that the club doesn't need to find additional car parking sites after all?

Sorted.

Can you answer Tim's post (129) - "What exactly is it you like about what the Green Council is trying to do? Please do summarize"

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I should have expanded on my point. It's not just the size of the stadium, it's the location. Is there anything truly comparable in the country?

No, probably not - Okay, you're right, you have to accept the specific circumstances of it being where it is.

Thing is, I've been offered tickets to most games so far, and not always bothered going because the travel has put me off (In fairness I'm not a Brighton fan and am quite lazy!) so this is a bloody good reason why travel should be looked at. Well, not just for me, but you get the point?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get the R bus every match. There ARE problems with it. The R, P and S bus all use the same queue, meaning that whenever a bus turns up, the line disolves and people just push and shove to get to the front.

There have been plenty of occasions so far where I have seen elderly people, or those with young kids, miss out on getting on because people behind them just push by.

The bus man in charge of that stop says every single week that he knows there is a problem, but that when he feeds it back the club do nothing about it.

I emailed the club, they said there was no problem.

I usually get home (a four mile distance) about more than an hour and a half after the end of the match.

This far in you would think the club could come up with three metal signs with R, P and S written on them to make it less chaotic...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, probably not - Okay, you're right, you have to accept the specific circumstances of it being where it is.

Thing is, I've been offered tickets to most games so far, and not always bothered going because the travel has put me off (In fairness I'm not a Brighton fan and am quite lazy!) so this is a bloody good reason why travel should be looked at. Well, not just for me, but you get the point?

Are you taking the piss? What 'travel' issues ?!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What exactly is it you like about what the Green Council is trying to do? Please do summarise. It is evident to anyone with the slightest scrap of intelligence that the Green Council will do all within their power to veto the expansion of the stadium, unless significantly challenged.

None of it fits in with their ludicrous plans for the City.

In the past you have said unmentionable things about Norman Baker and Anne De Vecchi. How do you think their policies against the Stadium compare with the revelations made about the Green Council's intentions, as revealed by Lord Bassam yesterday?

Just out of interest like.

Why I need to justify my political beliefs is a bit bizarre. However...

It's not 'just out of interest' is it, because you have fairly comprehensively denounced the Green administration, so you come at it with a biased view.

Just because Lord Bassam is ranting a particular line, you're blindly taking his word for it. Since when were you best political bedfellows with an ex-squatting Labour peer? Just because he was having a spat accusing Jason Kitcat of being anti-stadium, it doesn't follow that it's gospel.

As for my Green vote, I like the notion - since partially kyboshed by central government - of installing solar panelling on some public buildings; I think they're going ahead anyway. I like the idea of discouraging (rather than banning) unnecessary car use in the city. I like the idea of more cycle paths, even if you do choose violence against cyclists. I am prepared to accept the argument that if they had accepted the government's funding of £3m in return for freezing council tax, it would cost the city more in the following two years - to the tune of an extra £2.4m. I like the notion that we - as taxpayers - can debate the city's budget, rather than have it imposed on us.

Those are not exclusively the reasons, but they're a start. Also, I find that an administration of the major parties seems to often be beholden to national party lines. In Brighton, it feels like it's a bit more autonomous, though I appreciate that there can be a perception of having its downsides.

I am also satisfied that they are not anti-Albion nor anti-stadium - many Green councillors regularly go to the Amex to watch the Albion.

Meat-free Monday was a bit silly, frankly, especially as it was partially imposed. Thankfully, they put a stop to that.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Queueing for trains at both ends?

Edit: Having to allow such a long time to get to and from - For the 'fanatic' it's not such an issue, but as a casual, it put's you off. Bury your head in the sand all you want, but ultmimately turning casuals in to regulars that get you a full stadium...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Are you suggesting that the club doesn't need to find additional car parking sites after all?

Sorted.

Well, who would benefit from the additional car parking??????? (just playing devil's advocate, like)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've missed one home game, and not had a travel issue to or from the ground so far (touch wood). Not saying they don't exist, clearly they do, but I've often left the stadium at say 5.45pm, all the buses have gone, no one is queuing out of the car park and you can stroll down to the train. So within about 45mins of the final whistle the site is effectively cleared. Hardly the nightmare some would like to portray.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Queueing for trains at both ends?

Edit: Having to allow such a long time to get to and from - For the 'fanatic' it's not such an issue, but as a casual, it put's you off. Bury your head in the sand all you want, but ultmimately turning casuals in to regulars that get you a full stadium...

I think the casual fans are selling out the stadium, the reason we don't reach capacity is away fans and ST holders/1901 who don't turn up every game.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Council try to get a higher price for land.... yeah SHOCKING :rolleyes:

Council consider transport infrastructure before approving stadium expansion ....REALLY?? Why would they do that? ... oh yeah...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Arsenal (with three times the numbers) don't seem to have a problem. yet they face the same challenge.......
gun__1217336928_emiratesstadium_air.jpg

Can't be total rocket science

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think those that moan are very much in the minority, all be it a somewhat vocal one at times.

I was one of those who was deeply sceptical about how transport to, but mainly from, the Amex was going to work but I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

Those who are less pleased really do need to adjust their expectations - we're not a tinpot club playing in front of c6,000 die-hards any more - every game at the Amex is a big game featuring big clubs and is played in front of 20,000 people. I can't think of any ground in the country where such volumes of people are able to dissipate a few minutes from the end of the match.

I moaned once, in hindsight after too much Harveys! Post the Barnsley match I stopped off for a couple of beers as this usually ensures I walk straight on to a train but on this occasion there was still a 2 train queue. This was due to a cancelled train, explained on twitter by BHAtransport as being because Southern staff did not turn up. This in turn meant I missed a connection at Brighton (mainly due to the way they segregate the station there after games). It was intended as a rant against Southern rather than the club though.

I have to say since then, with the return to Say 3pm kick offs I consider the transport "issues" to be very minor. I have gone by train, bus and been dropped in Coldean by my Mrs after a shopping trip with no issues.

My concern here is not that we NEED the 1000 parking spaces to expand but that it can be used as a stick to beat us with in any planning committee. The bottom line is that either Steve Bassam or Jason Kitcat are lying through their teeth and as a left leaning voter that upsets me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Caroline Lucas, then MEP, commenting at a time when there was a minority Labour administration on the council. I would suggest that party policy is largely unchanged.

MEP Celebrates End Of Falmer Stadium Uncertainty But Challenge Now Is To Deliver ‘Green’ Stadium

25 July 2007 - Green Party MEP Caroline Lucas has welcomed the Government’s ruling on Falmer Stadium, which she said was ‘an end to an uncertainty which has hung over fans for ‘too long’.

Speaking after the Government granted permission for the community stadium to be built on land bordering the proposed South Downs national Park at Falmer, Dr Lucas said:

"This decision is long-overdue and the uncertainty has hung over fans and locals too long.

"Today’s decision is good news for Albion supporters and I am delighted the club is at last to get a much-needed local stadium. The challenge now is to make sure its construction and operation meet exceptional sustainability standards, and that the stadium fulfils its promise to be one of the ‘greenest’ in the country.

"There is clearly still a lot of work to do and a lot of tough decisions to make: the council must ensure adequate public transport provision is available and that the stadium has minimal impact on the surrounding countryside.

"The proposals to turn Falmer High School into a city academy already include plans for a car park serving the stadium and I am deeply concerned that this is essentially a land-grab which will encourage fans to travel to matches by car. The council must nip this is the bud immediately."

Call my cynical but I would imagine the Green Party had already decided to target one of our MP seats at that time and obviously making that sort of statement she would hope might win her a number of votes. It's a strange statement for someone who at the time lived in Oxford and Brussels with no links to Brighton and Hove.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Arsenal (with three times the numbers) don't seem to have a problem. yet they face the same challenge.......

Can't be total rocket science
You're not seriously comparing a stadium in the heart of London with the rural delights of the Amex are you?

I must admit I can't believe some of the posts on here, the extra seats will be fine as all it will mean is 'a bit more queuing'. Strewth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here